PDA

View Full Version : Bonus types for AC, what to buy?

noce
2017-11-14, 06:08 AM
Hi, I'm a buffer divine caster (shugenja) and I'll try to have as much AC as I can.
I have no access to other spells, so just focus on magic items.

Bonus types I'll have are:
- Armor: mithral fullplate (+8+5, +3 from dex)
- Shield: extreme shield (+3+5)
- Sacred: Protection Devotion (up to +7)
- Deflection: Shield of Faith (up to +5)
- Natural: Barkskin (up to +5)
- Dodge: Haste (+1)
- Insight: Dusty Rose Ioun Stone (+1)
- Luck: Luck of Heroes (+1)
- Unnamed: Interfaith Blessing (Pelor) (+2)
- Unnamed: Crystal of Arrow Deflection (+5 against ranged)

What I currently lack:
- Circumstance
- Competence
- more Dodge
- more Unnamed
- ?

Which items grant those bonuses to AC? Is there anything I'm missing?
Are there better items? I'm only aware of the [Rune]Staff of Power.

Mordaedil
2017-11-14, 06:55 AM
Isn't Luck of Heroes only +1 to all saving throws?

Do you need this much AC? What are you fighting?

Boggartbae
2017-11-14, 07:21 AM
for more dodge, you can always fight defensively with 3 ranks in acrobatics for a +3 dodge bonus, and then put combat expertise on top of that.

Crake
2017-11-14, 07:33 AM
for more dodge, you can always fight defensively with 3 ranks in acrobatics for a +3 dodge bonus, and then put combat expertise on top of that.

Considering he's playing a shugenja, I'd have to assume he's playing 3.5, in which case it'd be 5 ranks in tumble, which would require level 7, since it's a cross class skill for shugenja.

You also have to fight to fight defensively, which means you aren't casting spells.

Fizban
2017-11-14, 07:43 AM
The 3.5 update for Oriental Adventures has Luck of Heroes also giving a +1 AC bonus, as does Player's Guide to Faerun. Shugenja came from OA so they could be 3.0, but those are both 3.5, presumably it's 3.5.

Any particular reason why you're not enhancing your armor and shield? They're kinda the first bonuses you're supposed to buy. Magic Vestement isn't on the Shugenja list, though the 3.0/3.5 distinction would make a difference there as 3.0 scales faster.

noce
2017-11-14, 11:08 AM
The 3.5 update for Oriental Adventures has Luck of Heroes also giving a +1 AC bonus, as does Player's Guide to Faerun. Shugenja came from OA so they could be 3.0, but those are both 3.5, presumably it's 3.5.

Any particular reason why you're not enhancing your armor and shield? They're kinda the first bonuses you're supposed to buy. Magic Vestement isn't on the Shugenja list, though the 3.0/3.5 distinction would make a difference there as 3.0 scales faster.

Yes we play 3.5.
I'm enhancing both armor and shield, sure, I just didn't list it, maybe I'll edit it later.

As for fighting defensively, someone already mentioned you have to actually fight to get the bonus.

Telonius
2017-11-14, 11:32 AM
Defending Weapon could give you an unnamed bonus. (Resist the urge to buy a bunch of daggers, or suggest shuriken; even that AC will not save you from thrown DMG damage).

Darrin
2017-11-14, 11:40 AM
The Amulet of Teamwork (2000 GP, MIC) offers a +5 competence bonus to AC, but it's a 1/day thing. I'm not sure I've ever seen any other competence bonus to AC.

There are some planar touchstone sites that give AC bonuses. Pilgrim's Rest gives an untyped +1 AC bonus whenever you're on the material plane, and Valley of Thunder gives an untyped +1 AC bonus regardless of where you are. And there are some planar sites that give you an untyped bonus against certain creatures: Lip of Purity has +2 AC vs chaotic creatures, and Pillar of Skulls has +2 AC vs tanar'ri.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-14, 11:42 AM
Get a minion of some sort to Aid Another on your AC.

If said minion is small enough to ride you and has both the Ride skill and Mounted Combat, you have what amounts to an opposed reroll for your AC.

You'll also want miss-chances, if possible. Preferably a number of them.

Go look up some soulmelds (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7XkmnK-DY9YWW13YlFSQktOUzQ/view?usp=sharing) and some incarnum feats for larger AC bonuses.

Fizban
2017-11-14, 12:03 PM
Speaking of Ride: buy a mount, ride the mount, use a ride check to claim cover against attacks.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-14, 12:12 PM
Speaking of Ride: buy a mount, ride the mount, use a ride check to claim cover against attacks."Yo, dawg. I herd you have a mount on your mount so you can ride while you ride."

Telonius
2017-11-14, 03:46 PM
"Yo, dawg. I herd you have a mount on your mount so you can ride while you ride."

You could also take the Master Blaster route. Find a Small friend, and rig up an Exotic Riding Saddle to fit on your shoulders. Pump up his Ride check to absurd levels, and give him Mounted Combat as a feat.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-14, 03:54 PM
You could also take the Master Blaster route. Find a Small friend, and rig up an Exotic Riding Saddle to fit on your shoulders. Pump up his Ride check to absurd levels, and give him Mounted Combat as a feat....Which is exactly what I suggested earlier in the thread.

Also, the reference? I get it.

noce
2017-11-14, 05:46 PM
Are you just shamelessly trying to purposely derail the thread?

EDIT: to clarify, I just need magic items that boost AC. No riding, no mounted combat, no greater mirror image, no displacement, no abrupt jaunt, no DotU shadow cloak.

Boggartbae
2017-11-14, 11:29 PM
Considering he's playing a shugenja, I'd have to assume he's playing 3.5, in which case it'd be 5 ranks in tumble, which would require level 7, since it's a cross class skill for shugenja.

You also have to fight to fight defensively, which means you aren't casting spells.

Listen I didn't come here to read the OP. :smalltongue: