PDA

View Full Version : Are Kobold Dragonshields under CR'd?

Albions_Angel
2017-11-14, 06:57 AM
So I have/had this gaming group. And there are Ok, so I dont like 5th. This is my 8th game of 5th. I have DM'd 5th. I have theory crafted 5th. Nothing works the way I like it to. Thats fine, I am calling an end to it now, no more 5th for me. Sorry, just not my thing. Nothing against it for the sake of being 5th, but lots of rules and rulings that I just dont agree with. I dont like FPS games, I dont like most types of nuts, I dont like reality TV, and now 5th is going on that pile.

With that out the way, this group, and this game, and this DM, drive me up the wall. Lovely people, good friends in their own rights, AND they are my SO's housemates, but they are not my type of gamers. When I sit down to a D&D game, its to play D&D. Character goes on, several hours later (and a few OOC comments/jokes if its appropriate), character comes off. I dont play often, so when I do, I want to play. I am logged into roll20 10 minutes early to double check my character sheet and last session notes, or at the table doing the same. They are.... not at all like that. D&D for them is like any other group activity. Turn up time is flexi, chatter constantly, never ready with character sheets, talking out of turn in combat, on their phones/playing other games. If they didnt all do it, and wernt all happy with it, I would say they were being very rude, but whatever. I know this is what its like, and its basically them or nothing right now.

Then there is actual play style. I like numbers. I like strategy. I like power. Yeah, ok, I like 3rd. Sorry, I know 5th isnt 3rd, but they wont even try 3rd so 5th was all I had. They had a bad experience with 4th and now they "wont go backwards" and "dont want to play the beta version of 5th" whatever that means. Personally, I think thats a little off, considering I am willing to play a system I have tried and dont like, but whatever. Majority rules, right? Their characters are... all over the place. I have to fight tooth and nail for a sensible point buy or array, but even if they get good stats and build a semi-optimized character, they will play it both contra to their stats AND contra to their own backstories, but woe-be-tide anyone else who gets their back story wrong. Or their name. But everyone else gets "humorous" nicknames.

Session 0s are useless. The DM says "Right, its combat focused, but low lethality. I will be leading you. You wont go wrong, dont worry about ending up somewhere too high level. Also, lets make this serious." Everyone agrees heartily. Next thing I know, half of us are dead with the DM going "Well, you shouldnt have gone that way. If you had asked this specific NPC or rolled this specific number this wouldnt have happened." Meanwhile Im not allowed to have a back story I write, because they think its funny if my character rides in on a giant snail. Thanks guys.

While we are here, lets talk about lethality. Does everyone agree that at low levels, 5th has you dancing on a knife edge compared to some other systems? Not a bad thing, but just a thing. Well thats all fine if your DM can A) count and B) knows that just adding the raw challenge ratings is only half the job. You have to take numbers, strategy, placement, surprise, terrain, all into account. They can al change the CR and thus the XP and rewards. Oh yeah, rewards. Would be nice to have some. Shame we havnt in 5 sessions. Oh well.

Lets talk about this campaign in particular. Home setting, nothing out of the ordinary. Combat focused game. Despite session zero, its high lethality and open world. We can (and always seem to) make mistakes. So, my first char was a Soul Blade Mystic, back when front line was a paladin and a 2WF ranger. My job was dart in, deal a ton of damage, dart out. That is until the DM revoked my array he had given me at the last moment because everyone else took the dice rolls. My character sucked. Died. Was DM fieted back to life. Died again. Session 1 everybody. Half the party also died. Yay. The paladin is mount focused with a lance. We fight in tunnels a lot and its her only weapon. The ranger died and came back as ranged. The 2 wizards (one div, one abj) went utility. "Cast something AOE!" we would cry. "Will mend do?" was often the reply. So my second char I rolled up a War Cleric. Guy bristled with weaponry. Fell over a lot too when shield of faith went down, which it does a lot because Con isnt a cleric save and yet is needed for 90% of their buff spells. And before you ask, the group thinks rogues are OP and bans them. I know, I know, but we are talking about wizards that take mend for combat games and frown on Barbarians.

With the party comp set up, lets examine yesterdays battle. We had the surprise, burst into a room of low level kobolds. Just regular kobolds that had kidnapped 30 children, turned them undead and then sent them back to the town they were from. You know, EVIL kobolds. The paladin then refused to fight, prevented the rest of us from fighting, and lost our surprise. And then let half the kobolds leave the nice open room and head into the tight tunnels for backup. Well screw that, I leaped into combat, and did some damage. Then the door behind us starts banging, so the paladin bars that. Then kobolds come in from the other way, so I go and deal with that. Yay, party split across large room. Oh well, what can you do.

Now, kobolds are minions. You hack them to bits while they wiff on you until you can get to the big bad and kill them. Only the big bad(s) were in front. 2 Kobold dragonshields. Vs me. Not good. Oh, and (wait for it) TEN regular kobolds 30 ft behind them with slings. And 2 inventors. Also ranged. The dragonshields were blocking the way to the ranged guys.

What happened next is... well, I died, the door broke, because WOLVES did piercing damage to it (more or less directly against what the compendium says about objects, the door ended up with AC1, 10 HP and no resistance because "thats a stupid rule"), before I fell over I found out that Spectral Weapon doesnt count as a flanking buddy (using the flanking rules, and I know Spectral Weapon doesnt count for Sneak Attack, but having an opponant "distracted" by an inanimate object so you can slip in a knife is different to being distracted by the PLAYER while the "inanimate" object takes a swipe at your back. But optional rule and im not the DM. Shame I planned my action and executed it assuming it would work, then wasnt allowed to take it back...), the wizards ran off, the ranger fell over shortly after I did, and the paladin got boxed into a corner by, then 3 dragonshields, 2 inventors, 10 slingers and a bunch of wolves. Some enemies were bloody at this point. The wizards escaped, tried to rest, were told that despite being in the dungeon for a grand total of 5 minutes, and it being mid morning and summer when we went in, it was now approaching night and if they tried to long rest, they would be ambushed.

With me dead, I left the skype call at this point.

Honestly, they are good friends and arnt just trolling me. And apparently the DM is a good DM... sometimes. But this is the second game of his I have been in where he has failed to take numbers and environmental factors into account for the CR. The other was a 5th ed LOTR game where we wernt allowed to have a long rest except in large towns, short rests dont recover HP and we dont have spells or healing, yet are expected to travel several days at a time and have 2 encounters a day.

Its not like he even likes killing us. I could understand a good powertrip. We have all done it to a greater or lesser extent at some point. But he acts all upset that we keep dying, or end up in the "wrong" place after no direction, a series of easily winnable encounters (one lone kobold looking the other way sort of thing), "locked" doors that are either destroyed by a single arrow or give with a DC 5 straight check, and a chase into an ambush that frankly they wouldnt know about either.

Every session is either a pointless exercise of talking to NPCs randomly, while it becomes increasingly obvious that we are supposed to go out and hunt something down (for no reward not even loot), or a series of pointless cr 1/8 encounters like a trail of breadcrumbs to a fight that either looks winnable right up until the kobolds take off their disguises and they are all higher cr variants, or until we are in a position we cant escape from. Session one we happily explored a seemingly empty dungeon right up until there were multiple paths and going down any one of them could let enemies come in behind us, then all of a sudden have a fight that burns all our resources, chase the 1 bloodied survivor down a tunnel, and end up somehow surrounded with our backs to the walls.

Oh, and good luck getting NPC help. Their kids have been kidnapped, but the guards dont give a damn and are openly hostile to our advances for them to help. And sometimes the paladin wont help because the icon for kobolds on roll20 looks cute and she doesnt want the tokens removed from play. Gotta love Lawful Good Paladins that actually WONT attack evil creatures that kidnap, pillage, rape, burn, create undead and bring world ended snowstorms.

They are the only group around that I can feasibly play with regularly, but unfortunately I cant play under this DM, I cant play with this group and I cant play with this system (which is actually not the systems fault, that one is on me). So looks like I am retiring from D&D for a while, both DMing and playing. Even the local gaming groups have all gone 5th, dont want to touch 3rd or pathfinder, and play rule of cool and rule of silly rather than wanting to play a serious game. Which is fine, but I dont have that sense of humor..

The short version is, after 5 sessions, there have been 6 deaths, party comp is totally wrong, and the fights we are getting into are massively incorrectly CR'd as a whole. But one constant theme is that Kobold Dragonshields are way tougher than I would expect.

Appearing as typically 2 members in a group of 7-10 kobolds, Kobold Dragonshields have AC 15, can multi-attack, and get advantage when there is an ally within 5 ft of the target. Or, in our case, literally all the time. We are/were level 3, and we just get annihilated by them. I think half the problem is in our party of 5, there are only 2 melee characters, but even so, I was a War Domain Aasimar Cleric, AC 18 with shield of faith up, +6 to hit, with a great sword and a Spectral Weapon at +5, and it was just swing and miss (ill admit, I rolled bad, but still), and then all of a sudden I had 4 attacks at advantage on me. First one took out my shield of faith, so I am down to 16 AC and then its lights out. They then battered down our Paladin, slaughtered our Ranger and would have killed our 2 utility wizards (combat focused campaign, 2 util wiz, see spoiler for more info) if they hadnt legged it.

Regardless of why we were there, what CR the entire encounter was, the terrain, we should have downed ONE of them at least. CR 1 seems a little cheap. Sure, on their own they lose out on advantage, but put 2 of them together and it isnt just "slightly more than CR2", it pumps them WAY up.

Anyone else feel that they are a little... over the top?

JackPhoenix
2017-11-14, 09:15 AM
Dragonshields are resilient for CR 1, but their offense is very weak. +3 to hit and low damage compensates for the advantage and two attacks. What you describe (2 dragonshields and 6-8 normal kobolds) should be hard encounter for a competent, 5-man, level 3 group.

Your group doesn't sound competent, though.

Rysto
2017-11-14, 09:35 AM
2 CR1 creatures and 8 CR1/4 creatures is a deadly encounter for a party of 5 level 3 PCs, so seeing some character death in that kind of fight isn't out of line. In any case, encounter difficulty is only a guideline. The DM needs to adjust it based on how well the party is doing.

Albions_Angel
2017-11-14, 09:50 AM
2 CR1 creatures and 8 CR1/4 creatures is a deadly encounter for a party of 5 level 3 PCs, so seeing some character death in that kind of fight isn't out of line. In any case, encounter difficulty is only a guideline. The DM needs to adjust it based on how well the party is doing.

Oh, he does. Sometimes if we take "too long", more turn up...

Your group doesn't sound competent, though.

I cant really comment on this in a general sense, but in its current form, no, we are/were not. Maybe I'm suffering from 'system shock' and consistently performing badly, maybe its a bad game this time round, maybe they are always like this, but there seems to be no thought to tactics, action economy, target focussing, coordination, or even roleplay. If we discuss tactics before hand, someone ends up preventing the plan from even starting. Forget surviving first contact with the enemies, surviving more than 3 seconds after the huddle would be nice. That said, running in screaming and slashing decidedly doesnt work either.

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-14, 10:00 AM
Sounds like a combination of a bad DM and bad players that don't know what they're doing (and not listening during Session 0). Not necessarily a problem with the Dragonshields, but more a factor of your party not being suited to handle them (no AoE spells or Save-targeting spells instead of attack spells), a DM that doesn't seem to understand what his/her role is (don't make things MORE difficult if the party is already having problems), and a party that wants to be role-play focused while the DM wants combat-focused (bad Session-0 alignment).

Albions_Angel
2017-11-14, 10:13 AM
Sounds like a combination of a bad DM and bad players that don't know what they're doing (and not listening during Session 0). Not necessarily a problem with the Dragonshields, but more a factor of your party not being suited to handle them (no AoE spells or Save-targeting spells instead of attack spells), a DM that doesn't seem to understand what his/her role is (don't make things MORE difficult if the party is already having problems), and a party that wants to be role-play focused while the DM wants combat-focused (bad Session-0 alignment).

That... about sums it up. Its not so much the players not listening in session 0 though, so much as saying one thing and then doing the other.

Of course, I urge you all to take what I say with a pinch of salt. I am rather put out by all this, as I keep trying to play D&D and I keep not enjoying it, but I am also trying to give a detailed and relatively unbiased account of what happened. That said, I am the outsider in this group AND I am sure I am no saint. I am decidedly 3.5 in my mindset, and was low to mid optimization at that (I knew enough to pump stats, and min-max combat bonuses, but my barbarians wernt kicking people into orbit and my wizards wernt ending campaigns before they started). I do make mistakes myself. With the flanking Spectral Weapon, I put myself out of reach of my allies, sure I would get advantage on both my spell and my attack, with +3 radiant damage to boot thanks to Aasimar transformation. I should have asked. I charged in because the alternative was letting them close with me and the wizard. I should have let them come to me. I should have made sure everyone was up on the battle plan, and taken a more active role in directing people during combat itself. And frankly, I should have never agreed to play a system I dont enjoy, no matter how much they said they needed an extra player.

Unoriginal
2017-11-14, 10:27 AM
Your DM didn't know how to run a game, it seems.

Consensus
2017-11-14, 11:46 AM
seems like all your gripes are the gm running the game and non about the system, sans the CR system, which most people take as guidelines anyways (and rightly so)

SiCK_Boy
2017-11-15, 09:48 PM
On the topic of CR for monsters with the Pack Tactics ability, The Angry GM already covered that topic (http://theangrygm.com/the-return-of-the-son-of-ask-angry-three-questions-about-stuff/).

Basically, because CR is supposed to represent the difficulty of an individual monster, it has trouble scaling properly for monsters who get exponentially better when there are multiple of them around.

A single monster with pack tactic is no different than a single identical monster without pack tactics.

Two of them are more challenging, but the difficulty drops quickly as soon as you knock one of them down.

Now put in 6 or 8, and they are almost guaranteed to always have advantage on attacks for most of the fight. That's almost a +4 to hit; it makes a weak monster suddenly very strong (or at least much stronger than he would be otherwise).

Most other abilities just grant a purely offensive bonus (extra dmg or to hit, which the CR formula account for) or defensive bonus (again, the CR calculation works pretty well with most such abilities).

It's just this subset of abilities that are harder to assess; furthermore, since most creatures with pack tactics are "small / weak" monsters by definition, it further skews the CR off.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-11-15, 10:13 PM
On another note, running two utility wizards, especially at low levels, is generally going to make things harder on the party. One's fine and recommended, but two don't reasonably improve the party and aren't great in fights early, making their presence actually detrimental if the DM is preparing encounters based on your party size. This isn't like 3.5 where wizards just run absolute roughshod over everything, and while there's strong debate that they're one of the best classes overall, having more than one weirdly makes your party weaker than getting a bit more diversity in. Even late game.

If both of your wizards are still gung-ho about playing two wizards, see if one's willing to focus on blasting. Your party is seriously lacking DPR as you've described it, and if your DM is throwing hard encounters at you with serious meat shields like the dragonshields, you need someone that can tear them apart quickly or separate them. Burning hands alone could do wonders here.

Quoz
2017-11-16, 01:47 AM
Not sure how useful this will sound, depends a lot on the dynamics of your group. If you don't like the system and don't like the GMs style, why don't you try running a few games? Take the group into a different genre entirely if they don't want to try 3.5.

My group meets online like yours and alternates GMs on a regular basis. I think we've all become better players, GMs, and friends because of it. (I'm about to finish GMing star wars, the other GM is running a teen supers game called Masks, and our next GM is ready in the bullpen for 5e. On weekends when things don't line up and we can't get either party together we will still do a one shot or a low quorum cyberpunk game)

Putting the GM hat on for a bit might let you show them the side of gaming that you love. It might teach them a few things, and would certainly let you controll some of the more frustrating elements at the table. Again, depends a lot on the group, but I think it might help get you out of the rut you're in without making too many waves.

GreyBlack
2017-11-16, 02:55 AM
So I have/had this gaming group. And there are Ok, so I dont like 5th. This is my 8th game of 5th. I have DM'd 5th. I have theory crafted 5th. Nothing works the way I like it to. Thats fine, I am calling an end to it now, no more 5th for me. Sorry, just not my thing. Nothing against it for the sake of being 5th, but lots of rules and rulings that I just dont agree with. I dont like FPS games, I dont like most types of nuts, I dont like reality TV, and now 5th is going on that pile.

With that out the way, this group, and this game, and this DM, drive me up the wall. Lovely people, good friends in their own rights, AND they are my SO's housemates, but they are not my type of gamers. When I sit down to a D&D game, its to play D&D. Character goes on, several hours later (and a few OOC comments/jokes if its appropriate), character comes off. I dont play often, so when I do, I want to play. I am logged into roll20 10 minutes early to double check my character sheet and last session notes, or at the table doing the same. They are.... not at all like that. D&D for them is like any other group activity. Turn up time is flexi, chatter constantly, never ready with character sheets, talking out of turn in combat, on their phones/playing other games. If they didnt all do it, and wernt all happy with it, I would say they were being very rude, but whatever. I know this is what its like, and its basically them or nothing right now.

Then there is actual play style. I like numbers. I like strategy. I like power. Yeah, ok, I like 3rd. Sorry, I know 5th isnt 3rd, but they wont even try 3rd so 5th was all I had. They had a bad experience with 4th and now they "wont go backwards" and "dont want to play the beta version of 5th" whatever that means. Personally, I think thats a little off, considering I am willing to play a system I have tried and dont like, but whatever. Majority rules, right? Their characters are... all over the place. I have to fight tooth and nail for a sensible point buy or array, but even if they get good stats and build a semi-optimized character, they will play it both contra to their stats AND contra to their own backstories, but woe-be-tide anyone else who gets their back story wrong. Or their name. But everyone else gets "humorous" nicknames.

Session 0s are useless. The DM says "Right, its combat focused, but low lethality. I will be leading you. You wont go wrong, dont worry about ending up somewhere too high level. Also, lets make this serious." Everyone agrees heartily. Next thing I know, half of us are dead with the DM going "Well, you shouldnt have gone that way. If you had asked this specific NPC or rolled this specific number this wouldnt have happened." Meanwhile Im not allowed to have a back story I write, because they think its funny if my character rides in on a giant snail. Thanks guys.

While we are here, lets talk about lethality. Does everyone agree that at low levels, 5th has you dancing on a knife edge compared to some other systems? Not a bad thing, but just a thing. Well thats all fine if your DM can A) count and B) knows that just adding the raw challenge ratings is only half the job. You have to take numbers, strategy, placement, surprise, terrain, all into account. They can al change the CR and thus the XP and rewards. Oh yeah, rewards. Would be nice to have some. Shame we havnt in 5 sessions. Oh well.

Lets talk about this campaign in particular. Home setting, nothing out of the ordinary. Combat focused game. Despite session zero, its high lethality and open world. We can (and always seem to) make mistakes. So, my first char was a Soul Blade Mystic, back when front line was a paladin and a 2WF ranger. My job was dart in, deal a ton of damage, dart out. That is until the DM revoked my array he had given me at the last moment because everyone else took the dice rolls. My character sucked. Died. Was DM fieted back to life. Died again. Session 1 everybody. Half the party also died. Yay. The paladin is mount focused with a lance. We fight in tunnels a lot and its her only weapon. The ranger died and came back as ranged. The 2 wizards (one div, one abj) went utility. "Cast something AOE!" we would cry. "Will mend do?" was often the reply. So my second char I rolled up a War Cleric. Guy bristled with weaponry. Fell over a lot too when shield of faith went down, which it does a lot because Con isnt a cleric save and yet is needed for 90% of their buff spells. And before you ask, the group thinks rogues are OP and bans them. I know, I know, but we are talking about wizards that take mend for combat games and frown on Barbarians.

With the party comp set up, lets examine yesterdays battle. We had the surprise, burst into a room of low level kobolds. Just regular kobolds that had kidnapped 30 children, turned them undead and then sent them back to the town they were from. You know, EVIL kobolds. The paladin then refused to fight, prevented the rest of us from fighting, and lost our surprise. And then let half the kobolds leave the nice open room and head into the tight tunnels for backup. Well screw that, I leaped into combat, and did some damage. Then the door behind us starts banging, so the paladin bars that. Then kobolds come in from the other way, so I go and deal with that. Yay, party split across large room. Oh well, what can you do.

Now, kobolds are minions. You hack them to bits while they wiff on you until you can get to the big bad and kill them. Only the big bad(s) were in front. 2 Kobold dragonshields. Vs me. Not good. Oh, and (wait for it) TEN regular kobolds 30 ft behind them with slings. And 2 inventors. Also ranged. The dragonshields were blocking the way to the ranged guys.

What happened next is... well, I died, the door broke, because WOLVES did piercing damage to it (more or less directly against what the compendium says about objects, the door ended up with AC1, 10 HP and no resistance because "thats a stupid rule"), before I fell over I found out that Spectral Weapon doesnt count as a flanking buddy (using the flanking rules, and I know Spectral Weapon doesnt count for Sneak Attack, but having an opponant "distracted" by an inanimate object so you can slip in a knife is different to being distracted by the PLAYER while the "inanimate" object takes a swipe at your back. But optional rule and im not the DM. Shame I planned my action and executed it assuming it would work, then wasnt allowed to take it back...), the wizards ran off, the ranger fell over shortly after I did, and the paladin got boxed into a corner by, then 3 dragonshields, 2 inventors, 10 slingers and a bunch of wolves. Some enemies were bloody at this point. The wizards escaped, tried to rest, were told that despite being in the dungeon for a grand total of 5 minutes, and it being mid morning and summer when we went in, it was now approaching night and if they tried to long rest, they would be ambushed.

With me dead, I left the skype call at this point.

Honestly, they are good friends and arnt just trolling me. And apparently the DM is a good DM... sometimes. But this is the second game of his I have been in where he has failed to take numbers and environmental factors into account for the CR. The other was a 5th ed LOTR game where we wernt allowed to have a long rest except in large towns, short rests dont recover HP and we dont have spells or healing, yet are expected to travel several days at a time and have 2 encounters a day.

Its not like he even likes killing us. I could understand a good powertrip. We have all done it to a greater or lesser extent at some point. But he acts all upset that we keep dying, or end up in the "wrong" place after no direction, a series of easily winnable encounters (one lone kobold looking the other way sort of thing), "locked" doors that are either destroyed by a single arrow or give with a DC 5 straight check, and a chase into an ambush that frankly they wouldnt know about either.

Every session is either a pointless exercise of talking to NPCs randomly, while it becomes increasingly obvious that we are supposed to go out and hunt something down (for no reward not even loot), or a series of pointless cr 1/8 encounters like a trail of breadcrumbs to a fight that either looks winnable right up until the kobolds take off their disguises and they are all higher cr variants, or until we are in a position we cant escape from. Session one we happily explored a seemingly empty dungeon right up until there were multiple paths and going down any one of them could let enemies come in behind us, then all of a sudden have a fight that burns all our resources, chase the 1 bloodied survivor down a tunnel, and end up somehow surrounded with our backs to the walls.

Oh, and good luck getting NPC help. Their kids have been kidnapped, but the guards dont give a damn and are openly hostile to our advances for them to help. And sometimes the paladin wont help because the icon for kobolds on roll20 looks cute and she doesnt want the tokens removed from play. Gotta love Lawful Good Paladins that actually WONT attack evil creatures that kidnap, pillage, rape, burn, create undead and bring world ended snowstorms.

They are the only group around that I can feasibly play with regularly, but unfortunately I cant play under this DM, I cant play with this group and I cant play with this system (which is actually not the systems fault, that one is on me). So looks like I am retiring from D&D for a while, both DMing and playing. Even the local gaming groups have all gone 5th, dont want to touch 3rd or pathfinder, and play rule of cool and rule of silly rather than wanting to play a serious game. Which is fine, but I dont have that sense of humor..

The short version is, after 5 sessions, there have been 6 deaths, party comp is totally wrong, and the fights we are getting into are massively incorrectly CR'd as a whole. But one constant theme is that Kobold Dragonshields are way tougher than I would expect.

Appearing as typically 2 members in a group of 7-10 kobolds, Kobold Dragonshields have AC 15, can multi-attack, and get advantage when there is an ally within 5 ft of the target. Or, in our case, literally all the time. We are/were level 3, and we just get annihilated by them. I think half the problem is in our party of 5, there are only 2 melee characters, but even so, I was a War Domain Aasimar Cleric, AC 18 with shield of faith up, +6 to hit, with a great sword and a Spectral Weapon at +5, and it was just swing and miss (ill admit, I rolled bad, but still), and then all of a sudden I had 4 attacks at advantage on me. First one took out my shield of faith, so I am down to 16 AC and then its lights out. They then battered down our Paladin, slaughtered our Ranger and would have killed our 2 utility wizards (combat focused campaign, 2 util wiz, see spoiler for more info) if they hadnt legged it.

Regardless of why we were there, what CR the entire encounter was, the terrain, we should have downed ONE of them at least. CR 1 seems a little cheap. Sure, on their own they lose out on advantage, but put 2 of them together and it isnt just "slightly more than CR2", it pumps them WAY up.

Hey! 3.5 player here too (well, 2e then 3.5). So just get out there that I find 5e pretty low lethality. There is some big leeway with regards to the Death Saves. With proper optimization, a 5e character is more than capable of taking on 5-6 kobold solo, provided you use tactics correctly. There's also an overwhelming feeling that CR is more a suggestion than a rule so that's something. In all, I find 5e to be an effective "baby's first RPG" (inb4: 4e was not an RPG, it was a board game with RPG elements). In theory, all 5e characters can contribute meaningfully to combat even if not optimized to do so.

However, it does sound like there is some pretty significant dysfunction going on in the group, with some characters actually being openly antagonistic towards unit cohesion. That can absolutely be detrimental to the gaming experience. A 5 man group at level 2-3 could likely take down the group you're describing.

The adage is that no gaming is better than bad gaming. Maybe consider finding a new group on Roll20?

Waar
2017-11-16, 06:02 AM

If their attacks never missed (but ignoring the slightly higher crit chance), I would put the dragonshields as a (very) high end cr 1, now since their attacks can still miss, I would put them as an average+ cr 1.

Now an encounter with 2 cr 1 dragonshields and 2-8 cr 1/8 kobolds would normally be a hard encounter (for 4 level 3 characters), however, normal kobolds are very offense focused (like offensive cr 1/2) so if you don't deal with the ordinary kobolds quickly you have a problem. In addition when an encounter would normally be hard and you add significant evironmental advantages to the enemies, that can often bump it up to a deadly encounter.

So if you are fighting what would be a hard encounter, but it becomes even harder from giving the enemies an evironmental advantage and on top of that the enemy gets reinforcements, that could wipe most parties (now, I'm not saying it will wipe most parties, but it could).

And if you feel that your group is, well, making quite poor choices in and before battle, in addition to the above, I do definitely not blame you for your frustration.

So no, the problem isn't with the dragonshields as such, but with adding more and more complications to what started out as an already hard battle. (do however note that 2 dragonshields are supposedly alomst as dangerous as 10 ordinary kobolds, so you perception of how danergous a cr 1 is supposed to be might be out of tune with what the game thinks)

polymphus
2017-11-16, 01:59 PM
What everybody else has said but also like, Sunlight Sensitivity. If they're getting advantage on ALL their attacks then you need to be asking why you're always fighting them indoors. If you can lure them into direct sunlight, it'll totally flip the script.

Captain Panda
2017-11-16, 02:23 PM
The short answer is no, they are not under CR'd. If your team is struggling against kobolds, especially such a small handful, the problem is the team. A single moon druid or barbarian could rip through the encounter you describe on their own. A wizard or sorcerer could put half of them to sleep. You don't need a heavily optimized, min-maxed team to take on kobolds. The problem isn't the edition or the DM.

Waar
2017-11-16, 06:53 PM
If your team is struggling against kobolds, especially such a small handful, the problem is the team. A single moon druid or barbarian could rip through the encounter you describe on their own. A wizard or sorcerer could put half of them to sleep. You don't need a heavily optimized, min-maxed team to take on kobolds. The problem isn't the edition or the DM.

I think you are underestimating the dangers of cr 1s against low level characters, a level 3 barbarian doesn't beat 2 dragonshields without above average luck, not to mention any additional kobolds. I think a Druid fares better, but just using bear form twice in a row is less effective than the barbarian.

A wizard or sorcerer could put many ordinary kobolds to sleep, but would most likely not be able to affect a full health dragonshield (need to roll above the theoretical maximum for an level 1 sleep).

Now a decent team is a different matter, but even there there are risks if they have fought a couple of fights since the last rest or if the kobolds have significant environmental advatages or pull of an ambush.