PDA

View Full Version : Nova Druid

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-18, 10:20 AM
No, I'm not talking about a druid going nova, I'm talking about a literal nova druid. A druid who specializes in the original creation of life. Those who can create life from destruction.

This'll be a PrC of course, and I'm looking for creative abilities to give it.

For instance I'm thinking of giving it abilities over gravity and fire. Perhaps one of its last abilities is it can go 'super nova', exploding violently and dealing damage, but returning to life later on as its pieces meld back together and rebirthing the druid. Also perhaps it can use fusion to make a permanent miniature sun or something similar.

Also thinking of allowing it to give fire elementals it brings forth the 'plasma template' I'm working on. Elementals who are fire in the purest sense.

Open to suggestions, especially those with good knowledge of physics.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-08-18, 10:34 AM
Perhaps one of its last abilities is it can go 'super nova', exploding violently and dealing damage, but returning to life later on as its pieces meld back together and rebirthing the druid.
There's a Sacred spell from Book of Exalted Deeds that does just that. Always liked the concept, but haven't had a chance to actually use it in play. As a Sacred spell, it requires a sacrifice, though, which is represented by having the caster return to life as through raise dead, making the lost level the spell's sacrifice.

Actually, it seems to me you could turn the concept into an Exalted prestige class. Certainly can't see it being a good choice for Evil druids, though it probably could work with Neutral druids.

Sounds interesting.

RTGoodman
2007-08-18, 10:41 AM
Well, the only thing I can think of right now would be to give them the spell Genesis added to the Druid spell list at 10th (or 5th) level (depending on if it's a 10- or 5-level PrC). Just make sure that they can't get access to it until like 16th-18th level or thereabout. This way, your creation-druid can actually create his own plane and whatnot.

[Well, I think it used to be a spell, but all I can find is the psionic version (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicPowersGtoP.html#genesis).]

EDIT:
Of course, there are ample threads that attest to the brokenness/non-brokenness of Genesis, and I'm sure someone will argue about it here, but that's the only thing I could think of.

bosssmiley
2007-08-18, 10:41 AM
I get an image of a Jade Pheonix Druidic capstone ability. :smallbiggrin:

Druid: "The land must be healed."
Rest of Party: "Aw crap, not again. Duck and cover!"
Druid ASPLODE!!!

I know, I know, that wasn't the intent at all. From what little I understand of the initial post I think VT is talking about some sort of primal physical forces druid (gravity, energy, binding forces, etc.). Way beyond my limited game-fu I'm afraid.

Sir Jason
2007-08-18, 10:43 AM
A suggestion for your plasma template: a substance that is in plasma state is extremely responsive to electric charges, since its electrons have disassociated from the nuclei (or something like that...). Anyway, consider giving them vulnerability to electricty (like vulnerabilty cold or fire, but to electricity)

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-18, 10:51 AM
A suggestion for your plasma template: a substance that is in plasma state is extremely responsive to electric charges, since its electrons have disassociated from the nuclei (or something like that...). Anyway, consider giving them vulnerability to electricty (like vulnerabilty cold or fire, but to electricity)
Well, except isn't lightening a type of plasma? Was actually thinking of letting these things have the ability to let lose with bolts of electricity/fire hybrid damage.

Sir Jason
2007-08-18, 11:00 AM
Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29

It would depend on how you want to interpret this; plasma is highly electrically charged, because of its free electrons and ionized nuclei, so it is both highly responsive to electrical charges and full of positive and negative electrical charges itself. I wouldn't think that a plasma elemental would want to use this as an attack: it would by like an earth elemental throwing its arm at its enemy.

Starsinger
2007-08-18, 11:02 AM
I get an image of a Jade Pheonix Druidic capstone ability. :smallbiggrin:

Druid: "The land must be healed."
Rest of Party: "Aw crap, not again. Duck and cover!"
Druid ASPLODE!!!

I know, I know, that wasn't the intent at all. From what little I understand of the initial post I think VT is talking about some sort of primal physical forces druid (gravity, energy, binding forces, etc.). Way beyond my limited game-fu I'm afraid.

The wise Egg has a point, I'd atleast go with Jade Phoenix Mage's capstone ability as a starting point for how the mechanic works.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-18, 11:08 AM
Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29

It would depend on how you want to interpret this; plasma is highly electrically charged, because of its free electrons and ionized nuclei, so it is both highly responsive to electrical charges and full of positive and negative electrical charges itself. I wouldn't think that a plasma elemental would want to use this as an attack: it would by like an earth elemental throwing its arm at its enemy.
Well, I'd think this elemental could quite likely ionize the air itself and make its own plasma.

How about this, it doesn't have immunity to electricity, but when it sustains a certain amount it flies apart, temporarily losing the ability to move (and take physical damage), requiring 1 round per hit die of damage to pull itself back together. Until then however it merely becomes more energized. Maybe Hasted for a time.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-18, 11:40 AM
I think I heard the catgirls whimper just at your mention of bringing modern era concepts of physics and world origin into a D&D game...

martyboy74
2007-08-18, 02:37 PM
Maybe, as a first or second level ability, giving it the ability to alter the gravity of a specific point, causing everyone to be pulled 5 or 10 feet per level towards it every round. Maybe it could culminate in a black hole-esque type of thing in the center after a while.

Sir Jason
2007-08-18, 03:24 PM
Listen, if there's one thing I hate, its black-hole esque things that dont work at all like black holes. If a black hole of the size of an apple were to suddenly appear on earth, everything around it would be sucked in. Thing is see, black holes dont stop after sucking things in, they get worse: since this guy is supposed to bring life from destruction, giving him an ability that effectively can destroy a planet, heck, probably a whole solar system virtually irreversibly seems a little bit counter-intuitive.

PC: 'Nova druid, the BBEG is getting away! Stop him!'

Nova Druid: 'Its ok!' *uses black hole ability* *the whole party gets sucked in before they can say boo, along with the whole campaign planet (ie plane)*

Nova Druid: 'Whoops...'

Sir Jason
2007-08-18, 04:11 PM
Heres a couple of ideas: he could get an ability based of the Fiery Discorporation psi. power in EPH, since it involves creation after destruction.

Second, I cant help but point out that this classe's focus seems to coincide with the principle of a phoenix. I dare not suggest a phoenix animal companion (waaaaaayyy too powerful) but how about a Summon Phoenix ability x times per day?

Finally, thinking back to how everything in the universe started out as plasma in the stars, how about giving the guy some ability to use his plasma elementals to synthesize various elements? You know, like in nuclear fusion, when hydrogen plasma combine to make helium which combine with hydrogen or other helium to make all the elements... maybe count each plasma elemental as one hydrogen atom, and sacrifice any number of them to make the equivalent element in the periodic table..... yeah, i know, dying catgirls...

The White Knight
2007-08-18, 04:37 PM
Finally, thinking back to how everything in the universe started out as plasma in the stars, how about giving the guy some ability to use his plasma elementals to synthesize various elements? You know, like in nuclear fusion, when hydrogen plasma combine to make helium which combine with hydrogen or other helium to make all the elements... maybe count each plasma elemental as one hydrogen atom, and sacrifice any number of them to make the equivalent element in the periodic table..... yeah, i know, dying catgirls...

With an outcome something like this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html) and this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0457.html)? :smallbiggrin:

Demented
2007-08-18, 04:44 PM
So, on one side you have a Nova Druid, who specializes in violently propogating an arbitrary energy force that causes things to become organically living.
On the other side you have a (Super)Nova Druid, who specializes in nuclear physics and discorporating things into their base chemical elements.

I'm not too fond of the latter. Suffice it to say, it'll be a large hump I'll have to get over before I can accept the idea of a Druid who spends more time with quantum mechanics than geology. "Where's your earth mother, now that you've discovered the god particle, hm?"

So, what's the hook? Is it a particularly fire-centric, blasty-druid?

Sir Jason
2007-08-18, 04:57 PM
You know, the more I think about it, the more this PrC seems to be filled with potential on a high-epic level of game. At that level, it COULD have a Phoenix companion, as well as a super nova ability that could destroy everything within range and then let it start anew. Finally, to try and hold true to the gravity-control idea, it could have a super-genesis ability. In brief, some physicists speculate that at the center of every black hole is the big bang of another universe, one where physics are different from our universe's in that they allow for easier black hole creation. Without getting in to the details, this could let this class make a [very, very, very] small black hole, inside some [very, very, very] strong containment field, that sucks in everything within the radius of the containment field, and turns it into a black hole, that in turn creates a new plane. On this plane, the PrC's abilities tied to gravity could be improved, say with a higher DC to resist or a larger radius.

Oh, and I cant resist to add this little bit. Familiar with the concept of a rail gun? It pretty much uses electromagnetism to fire a chunk of metal really, really fast at stuff. Anywho, since they are affected so well by e/m charges, plasma bullets are common to many railgun designs... fire the plasma elementals!!! Its like catapulting titanium elementals, except faster, more damaging, deadlier in combat and way cooler!!!

Arbitrarity
2007-08-18, 05:31 PM
Let the catgirls live, people. This is thematic, not literally scientific, and while some accuracy should be stroven (sp?) for, it's not strictly necessary.

IIRC, plasma is a different (but related) energy state than gas, wherein you have a bunch of electrons and atoms/ions floating around. It's super-conductive, and interacts pretty chaotically. Actually, plasmas can be many temperatures, but most are thought of as being super-hot.

Doesn't matter much. As far as this goes, we have two ideas, one seems epic, one not. Both are energy manipulative, though they seem to be on a different scale, and are somewhat different.

1: The "creation of life"-style druid. This druid manipulates primal energies in relation to the creation of life. (In D&D terms, this is technically positive energy, but whatever :smallwink: ).

2: The "fundamental" druid. This druid manipulates the fundamental forces of nature, on many scales, and uses many powers which are somewhat feasible based on a world somewhat like ours. Not entirely, of course, but thematically, they work using forces like gravity, electro-magnetism, strong/weak nuclear (or not...).

These two could be combined, of course, which was the original idea. So, we want a druid manipulating basic forces, who uses these to create life. We really, really don't want to go into a technical method of this. We want a thematic "phoenix" druid, a druid who manipulates elements and forces. We also want it balanced (I nerf the strong nuclear force in your cells, causing your atoms to decay. You die. Painfully.).

Let's go specific. This PrC should be a journey towards a more fundamental understanding of the way the multiverse (of D&D) functions. It should progress from mundane (relatively, in magic terms) powers, to complex manipulations of the underlying forces. So, what can we do with science, which is on the appropriate power level? (No taking apart bodies, no save deaths, etc. Giving a vulnerability to electricity seems too weak. Shifting gravity trait in the local area, though, would be really awesome in some ways, and not too powerful).

1: Limited manipulation of planar traits (Not time. Duh. Never, ever, ever, touch time) is an option. Planar traits are tied into the fabric of the D&D multiverse, and allow many effects (burning things, fixing things in place, shifting gravity, making it easy to change things).

2: Finer gravity manipulation than planar traits. Various effects work off this, including black-holes, white-hole equivalents, gravity changes messing up people in other ways, etc. (Note: Some limiting method on the black hole, if it comes to be, would be good)

3: Use of "fundamental"-feeling forces. Magnetically charging things (positive armour, positive field... whee!), creating planes, and chaotically manipulating forces to create life (possibly simplified. Too much choice and power is bad for players.).

The specific manipulation of gravity bit seems really cool to me :smallbiggrin: Not too related to the creation of life, but being able to make a bunch of 5 ft squares with different gravity traits would be hilarious.

Sir Jason
2007-08-18, 05:38 PM
How about a power based off the immovabilty (or something like that) power? DR/-, huge resistance to movement, etc. All tied in to manipulating your gravitational field so that you dont move. Also, maybe some stripped down version of telekinesis using e/m and gravity manipulation?

Arbitrarity
2007-08-18, 05:50 PM
You like your psionics :smallwink:

That might work as a subset of planar manipulation, i.e. static planes.

Ok, so the ability with gravity would be something like...

A (name) gains the ability to manipulate the basic force of gravity at level (x). As an (probably standard) action, he may change the gravitational trait of a number of 5 ft cubes equal to his class level. He may define the trait for each square, and all associated traits (such as the direction, for objective directional gravity). This change lasts for a number of rounds equal to his class level. This ability is usable (n) times per (time period, i.e. day, i.e. minute).

That is superb battlefield control, fun, and allows very slow movement in air.

Sir Jason
2007-08-18, 05:52 PM
heres another idea: make the plasma elementals phoenix shaped, make the class grant you one as a companion, and give it an ability whereby a certain number of times per day it can cause a living creature to make a fort save or explode in fiery death and be reborn on the spot out of its own ashes.

Jack Mann
2007-08-18, 06:47 PM
Well, the only thing I can think of right now would be to give them the spell Genesis added to the Druid spell list at 10th (or 5th) level (depending on if it's a 10- or 5-level PrC). Just make sure that they can't get access to it until like 16th-18th level or thereabout. This way, your creation-druid can actually create his own plane and whatnot.

[Well, I think it used to be a spell, but all I can find is the psionic version (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicPowersGtoP.html#genesis).]

EDIT:
Of course, there are ample threads that attest to the brokenness/non-brokenness of Genesis, and I'm sure someone will argue about it here, but that's the only thing I could think of.

The spell Genesis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm) is in the Epic section, since it debuted in 3rd edition in the Epic Level Handbook.

Sir Jason
2007-08-18, 07:03 PM
The spell genesis, if interpreted exactly as written, is extremely broken. It can allow for the manipulation of time traits. As my dear friend Arbitrarity has already emphatically stated, never, ever, ever touch time.

The psionic version nerfs time manipulation. Use its description for the spell instead.

Ever Phasm
2007-08-19, 05:13 PM
If we want a druid who manipulates planes then have a look at my star mage (divine seer who gains wisdom and power by gazing at the stars and can also "align" the heavens).

If we want a druid who creates life, then we should probably take a slightly more metaphysical/philosophical view.

After all what is life? Who's to say anything we percieve is real? Ask Rene Descartes that question.

Wouldn't a better ability be more like one that cleanses a being, wiping his memory and giving him a true neutral alignment? Giving the being a second chance to do something good (or evil) with his/her life?

or perhaps a druid who calls upon a new nature-based energy type (an almost neutral version of positive and negative energy) that he wields like a cleric (turn/rebuke living creature). Giving him a very personal power over other's life force.

And then does the druid want to manipulate all life? or intelligent life? If we say intelligent life then our druid should get more powerful abilities (because they are more limited) on the other hand affecting all life makes our druid more flexible.

Sir Jason
2007-08-19, 06:52 PM
Sean! Check your mail! Answer your mail!

Sorry for those who have no freakin' clue as to what I mean.

Still think fiery discorporation is a must-have

knightsaline
2007-08-19, 07:23 PM
If you are taking the path of planar manipulation, make it scale with level and have the nova druid choose different "paths". One nova druid may choose to manipulate gravity, therefore gains the ability X/times a day to fire a beam that grounds flying monsters, while another nova druid may choose to "transmute" the planar landscape to their liking, gaining the spell Perinarch and adding it to the list of spells they can choose. You could also have the nova druid choose "dualities", like "life and death" or "light and shadow", defining what spells would be added to the list of spells. an example of spells added to the "life and death" duality can be the Cure X wounds and Inflict X wounds spells.