PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use Counterspell in combat?

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-11-14, 12:00 PM
I think it is an EXCELLENT use of a reaction against enemy spell caster and can't think of many instances I would not use it.

What else should I take into account besides if there is likely to be another enemy spell caster behind the next door?

LeonBH
2017-11-14, 12:03 PM
If I am flying and need to save a Feather Fall, or if I am more afraid of damage and must save for Shield or Absorb Elements, then I may not Counterspell.

But generally, I Counterspell when the opportunity presents itself.

DivisibleByZero
2017-11-14, 12:06 PM
If the enemy is casting a spell, you can be fairly certain that it isn't going to be good for you.

mephnick
2017-11-14, 12:09 PM
Boring answer: Depends on the campaign/DM.

I use a lot of humanoid enemies in my games, and thus, a lot of spellcasters. So it would get pretty slot expensive trying to Counterspell every time a caster starts chanting a spell. But it's still pretty safe to do on the first round whenever a caster is casting, blocking what is probably their best attack or buff is almost always the best use of a reaction/spell slot.

In a game where I tend to see very few casters I would use it more frequently.

RickAllison
2017-11-14, 12:23 PM
At low levels, not so much. It is a very slot-intensive form of defense and I am usually better served using active defenses like Fog Cloud. Once I am at a higher level, blocking out an enemy spellcaster is much more useful.

Burnteyes
2017-11-14, 12:32 PM
I would say this is a very campaign, DM, encounter, class and level specific question. As such there are too many variables to answer generally. As a Warlock I'm not using it in the Annihalation campaign much because of limited spell "slots" and casters while powerful, are infrequent.

Bard in Stradh campaign, early and often.

8wGremlin
2017-11-14, 03:07 PM
In all the games we ran HotDQ, RoT, and CoS - never cast it, ever.
never needed too really...

denthor
2017-11-14, 03:13 PM
Never

You must make a spot check find the caster.

2. You must hold your action until the other caster starts to cast

3. You must make an arcane knowledge roll to recognize the spell being cast.

4. You must have that spell prepared then cast it. Your spell slot used for a small advantage and you do not help your side by hurting the other side or buffing your side.

RickAllison
2017-11-14, 03:17 PM
Never

4. You must have that spell prepared then cast it. Your spell slot used for a small advantage and you do not help your side by hurting the other side or buffing your side.

Alternatively:

You don't need to make a spot check to find the caster because they reveal themselves with verbal components and you are aware of people around you that aren't hidden in combat.

You use your action to be productive.

You acknowledge you have no idea what they are casting, but you are banking that risking countering a wimpy spell is worth it to potentially cancel a dangerous one.

Potato_Priest
2017-11-14, 03:20 PM

Actually, all you have to hold is your reaction, since you can act normally and cast a reaction spell without any problems (unless you cast a bonus action spell and need to cast counterspell on your turn, but that's a bit of a hot mess).

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-11-14, 03:29 PM
Never

#4 I disagree with. Every turn of the enemy's I waste, every fireball or whatever I keep from going off helps my side.

To what degree we can argue.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-11-14, 03:32 PM
Never

I think you're in the wrong part of the forum--none of those are true for 5e.

lunaticfringe
2017-11-14, 03:56 PM
I think you're in the wrong part of the forum--none of those are true for 5e.

Word. Even if you don't upcast vs a higher level spell it's still an ability check.(Lore) Bards is dah bestest counterers because of Jack of All Trades. The second sentence is mostly for word count.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-11-14, 04:02 PM
Word. Even if you don't upcast vs a higher level spell it's still an ability check.(Lore) Bards is dah bestest counterers because of Jack of All Trades. The second sentence is mostly for word count.

And because, IIRC, all of those are the 3.X rules for counterspelling. 5e is the first edition where it's actually a useful tactic (at least stock, as with all things 3e there were workarounds of varying levels of odoriferousness).