PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Retraining question

thecrimsondawn
2017-11-14, 01:20 PM
I notice with the retraining rules, you can retrain a feat, and what you retrain it to is related to your current level and not the level you chose it at. I like this, but it brought up a couple questions.

1) Can you retrain a fcb for early levels when you did not have the class feature or feat to apply to the class feature or feat you now have?
and
2) Can you do the same for class features, such as say - rogue talents once you get access to advanced talents as an example?

Crake
2017-11-14, 03:25 PM
I notice with the retraining rules, you can retrain a feat, and what you retrain it to is related to your current level and not the level you chose it at. I like this, but it brought up a couple questions.

1) Can you retrain a fcb for early levels when you did not have the class feature or feat to apply to the class feature or feat you now have?
and
2) Can you do the same for class features, such as say - rogue talents once you get access to advanced talents as an example?

For feats, according to an FAQ you can:

Can I retrain a feat to replace it with a feat I didn’t qualify for at the level I originally gained that feat?

Yes. As long as the new feat is a valid feat for your current character, you can retrain the old feat and replace it with the new feat

But for class features, this line prevents you from doing so:

Retraining a class feature means you lose the old class feature and gain a new one that you could otherwise qualify for at that point in your level advancement.

Note that according to the FAQ fighters are an exception to this rule in that when they retrain fighter bonus feats, they CAN select feats that they qualify for at their current level.

Psyren
2017-11-14, 03:41 PM
For the fighter, they basically ruled that the "feat" stipulation (your current character can qualify regardless of sequence) overrules the "class feature" stipulation (you need to select the replacement stuff in order) because a fighter's class features are feats. (Well, they get more than that in PF, but that's probably the one you'd be concerned with.)

grarrrg
2017-11-14, 03:50 PM
The Retraining rules don't call out Favored Class Bonus as an option, so by default you can't retrain them.
They also aren't really "class features", so whether they'd fall under 'must use same level' or 'can use current level' *shrug*.
(possible exception if you retrain a whole class level to a Favored class)