PDA

View Full Version : Long-term domination?

Avigor
2017-11-14, 03:28 PM
Is anyone aware of any options, even in homebrew, to give 5e wizards mind control power even a smidge closer to the level of 3.5? I'm talking giving them domination for days without taking their concentration slot (even if they have a limit on how many they can control at once, like how necromancers are limited in how many undead they can control at once, and to do so requires an 8th or 9th level slot), or even something like the old-school BoVD mindrape spell? Even a revised Enchanter subclass that can spend 5-10 minutes or something in order to brainwash a victim for 1d4 days once per long rest would be awesome in comparison to the weakness that is 5e enchantment.

Reason I'm asking is because I'm kind of sick of how mind control basically crashed from the heyday of 3.5 allowing scary levels of controlling the masses with thrallherd and such to where you can barely control anyone for any halfway-decent length of time without both investing very high level spell slots and your concentration, thereby severely gimping your self-defense especially if your victim isn't by your side or combat capable... I hope that if they do another D&D edition at some point, that they give domination a victim limit like the necromancer instead of taking your concentration slot and make the higher level slots give longer control... seriously, Dominate Person with your only 8th level slot gives you a mere 8 hours, and 9th level doesn't do anything longer? Insulting IMO...

Unoriginal
2017-11-14, 03:38 PM
Personally I'm very happy of how mind control is in 5e and sincerely hope to never see that kind of 3.X stuff in current or future editions.

Now, to answer your question:

You could True Polymorph a Simulacrum into an Aboleth, put it in a big Aquarium, and have the Simulaboleth use its 3 mind controls a day. If it works, the mind control would last... more or less until the next time they get hurt. But there is no limit to how many could be under the Simulaboleth control.

Lombra
2017-11-14, 04:06 PM
GOO warlock gets Create Thrall as his patron capstone, which is a permanent slave, and you can have any number of them.

Geas lasts until dispelled if cast at 9th level.
Modify memory at 9th level may net you an ally for life.

I mean, there are ways, but are late-game.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-14, 04:20 PM
GOO warlock gets Create Thrall as his patron capstone, which is a permanent slave, and you can have any number of them.

Only if the "Any number" in question is 1. Create Thrall ends if you use it again. And it's permanent Charmed (Advantage on Cha checks) condition, not slave.