PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Body Horror Artifacts

JNAProductions
2017-11-14, 04:25 PM
Dead Eyes
Eyes, Artifact

Your eyes have been cut out and replaced with inky pits of endless blackness. This grants you the following effects:

Random Properties
-Three Minor Detrimental
-One Major Detrimental
-One Minor Beneficial
-One Major Beneficial

Sight Of The Unseen-You can see through any form of darkness, to any distance, with perfect clarity. In addition, you have Blindsight 30' and Truesight 10'.

Arachnoid Mutations
Body, Artifact

You've been infused with arachnid biology, granting you extra limbs, a web sac, and horrible nightmares.

Random Properties
-Four Minor Detrimental
-Two Major Detrimental
-Two Minor Beneficial
-One Major Beneficial

Climbing Limbs-You gain a climb speed equal to your land speed. You take no penalty climbing with as little as two limbs, and can climb perfectly vertical or upside down surfaces without difficulty.

Extra Limbs-You have an extra 2d3 limbs. For each limb, roll a d6. A 1-2 grants an arm, a 3-6 a leg. These extra limbs may be used as the ordinary body part, though they are freakish and arachnid in nature. Note that this may allow you to, for instance, wield a greatsword and shield, if you have sufficient arms

Web Sac-You grow a distended abdomen, full of sticky webbing. As an action, you may launch either a web bundle or spray. The bundle requires you to make an attack roll (treating it as a Thrown, Finesse weapon with a 30'/90' range) against one target. If you hit, they make a Dexterity save (with disadvantage) or become restrained, DC being equal to 12 plus your Constitution modifier. The restrained target may replace an attack with Strength check to break free, with the same DC as their Dexterity save. For spray, you affect all targets in a 15' cone with the webbing. They must make a Dexterity save (DC being equal to 10 plus your Constitution modifier) or become restrained, with the same qualifications for breaking free. The spray may be used only once every 2d3 rounds.

Nifft
2017-11-14, 07:35 PM
You've been infused with arachnid biology, granting you extra limbs, a web sac, and horrible nightmares.

... though to be fair, the nightmares might be from that time you didn't save Uncle Ben.

rferries
2017-11-15, 01:20 AM
... though to be fair, the nightmares might be from that time you didn't save Uncle Ben.

With great power comes great angst.

I feel like it should be 1d4 (or 1d3+1) extra limbs - you have 4 limbs already so that would bring you to a max of 8.

rferries
2017-11-15, 01:22 AM
Awesome flavour, btw.

Sandsme
2017-11-15, 07:23 AM
Arachnoid Mutations

Seems a good way to start a horror campaing

nickl_2000
2017-11-15, 11:10 AM
For web sac you can either spray or launch a bundle. I see the rules on bundle, what are the spray rules? Also, did you consider doing a recharge on the web effects like the Giant Spider has?

These certainly are horrific, so well done there :)

JNAProductions
2017-11-15, 11:23 AM
For web sac you can either spray or launch a bundle. I see the rules on bundle, what are the spray rules? Also, did you consider doing a recharge on the web effects like the Giant Spider has?

These certainly are horrific, so well done there :)

Ah, poop! I did forget to spray.

Edited it in.

Also, if you have any other ideas for body horror, feel free to suggest them and I'll stat 'em up!

nickl_2000
2017-11-15, 11:40 AM
Also, if you have any other ideas for body horror, feel free to suggest them and I'll stat 'em up!

Just off the top of my head, some are junk some may be good, use what you like.

-Shadow Hair replacements (I'm thinking like Medusa from inhumans)
-Mind Flayer Tentacles
-Pincer Arms (replace your arms with Crab Claws)
-Any sort of grafting of the top half of the human body on other creatures. Horses, Spiders, Crabs, Octopus
-Vampire Fangs
-And for the sake of fun, maybe Flumph Eye Stalks

JNAProductions
2017-11-15, 12:07 PM
Hm... Not sure Imma do those. But, I will do this:

Oh... Oh God, Why?
Body, Artifact

Your entire body has been warped beyond recognition. You somehow retain your former abilities, but your eyes distend out of your skull, warping their way into your ears. Your teeth punch through your lower jaw, your arms come out your hips, your legs are treads, your bones jut out at awkward angles, you... You're a goddamn monster.

Random Properties
-Four Minor Detrimental
-Two Major Detrimental
-One Minor Beneficial

Oh God, Take It Away!-You exude fear like nothing else. Anyone within clear line of sight of you must make a DC 19 Wisdom save or become Frightened of you forever. They may repeat the save at the end of each of their turns to end the effect (with disadvantage if they can still see you) for now. Once a save is made, they are immune to the effects until they take a short rest, after which they can subject to it again. In addition, whenever they wake from sleep, they become Frightened again as nightmares of you overtake them. Many people refuse to ever sleep after the first few dreams, and so die quite soon. Note that you are not immune to this ability-you are Frightened of yourself.

Unholy Constitution-Increase your HP by 3 per level. You're an unstoppable juggernaut of flesh and bone.

Unkillable-Whenever you would die, make a DC 5 Constitution saving throw. If you pass, you don't die. Increase the DC by 5 each time you make it, resetting on a long rest. In addition, you become immune to Exhaustion.

lightningcat
2017-11-19, 01:43 PM
With great power comes great angst.

I feel like it should be 1d4 (or 1d3+1) extra limbs - you have 4 limbs already so that would bring you to a max of 8.

Scorpians are arachnids, and have 10 limbs. So 2d3 works out, 8 average, 10 max.

RazDelacroix
2017-11-19, 05:38 PM
My only complaint, is that this did not come out in time for this year's Halloween. Other than that it's a blast for inspiration!

You know what nobody wants? To have plinths of stone-like bone to just sprout up from their back and house tiny parasitic philosophers!

Requilac
2017-11-19, 06:10 PM
Would the extra limbs feature of the arachnoid mutations actually allow you to use more hands? To me it seems weird that the hand is in the completely right position to be able to be compatible with your other hands. The way I am imagining it, there is no possible way that the hand would come out at the correct position to be able to functionally hold a shield or wepaon. Perhaps it could provide a different benefit, like being able to grapple or shove creature with a bonus action. I think that gets the horrific imagery across better. And also, I have seen the rules mention this multiple times, but how exactly do I roll a D3? Is that when you roll a D6 and divide the number by two?

Why exactly is the web sac bundle saving throw equal to 12+ your constitution modifier? Would it not be better to make it equal to 8+ your proficiency bonus+ your constitution modifier? To add on, I am pretty sure I understand what this feature is saying but it is kind of confusingly worded. Could you edit it over?

And for the oh god why artifact, may I ask why you seem to be so specific with what the transformation is? I do not quite understand why it is like that. The mechanics of the unkillable trait are also strange too. By die, do you mean when you get to 0 HP or when you fail three death Saving throws? When you say that “you do not die”, does that mean you are back up to 1 HP (like the half-orc’s relentless endurance) or does that mean you are instantly stabilized? And for the “oh god, take it away” trait, how can you be frightened of yourself? When one is frightened they cannot move closer to their source of fear, so if you are firghtened that means you cannot move closer to yourself, so does that mean you can move freely or are you trapped in place? And do you have to make the saving throw against being frightened every time you wake up or only when you see your reflection? And what do you mean by “most (targets) refuse to sleep”? Does that mean they no longer gain the benefits of a short or long rest? It seems like it is mostly fluff with no clearly defined mechanical effects. And why must a target remake a saving throw only apply after they take a short rest (where you are not actually sleeping) but not after they take a long rest? This is an extremely oddly worded feature that is more than a little confusing.