PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Emulating the Healer in Pathfinder

Palanan
2017-11-14, 05:48 PM
I’ve always had a soft spot for the 3.5 healer, even though it’s functionally somewhere between terrible and meh. It’s not a class that seems easy or fun to play, especially at lower levels…but I wish it were.

So, is there some combination of feats and archetypes that could create a workable healer in Pathfinder? I’m looking for something that would be a viable support character, able to cover healing for a party while still contributing in other ways.

I’m open to all official Paizo content. Is there a way to build a dedicated, competent healer in Pathfinder?

grarrrg
2017-11-14, 06:43 PM
Life Mystery Oracle is the quick and dirty way.
Gives you Spontaneous Cure spells, Channel Energy, Life Link to heal people without having to spend actions, etc...

Throw on the Pei Zin Practictioner (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Oracle%20Pei%20Zin %20Practitioner) archetype for access to Lay on Hands as well (combos nicely with Life Link).

Palanan
2017-11-14, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by grarrrg
Various archetypes can give it a boost as well.

Okay, thanks. Are there others you would recommend besides the Pei Zin example?

kulosle
2017-11-14, 06:54 PM
Ooh I'm also very interested in this. I don't have much to contribute cause I'm just getting into pathfinder. But a list of cool healing stuff sounds useful.

grarrrg
2017-11-14, 07:02 PM
Okay, thanks. Are there others you would recommend besides the Pei Zin example?

Check the (slightly not updated) Oradin guide in my signature, and half ignore most the stuff about "Paladins".

As far as -straight healing- you really can't do any better than Pei Zin+Life Mystery.
But if Pei Zin isn't allowed then...eh? None of the rest are really "healer-y".

Mostly they just add 'options':
Spirit Guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/archetypes/paizo-oracle-archetypes/spirit-guide) lets you mix up your abilities/spells day-to-day. It also lets you take a non-Life mystery, but pair it with the Life Spirit to get back most of the Life Mystery stuff anyway.

Ancient Lorekeeper (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/elf/ancient-lorekeeper-oracle-elf) lets you steal spells from the Wizard list.

Palanan
2017-11-14, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by grarrrg
Ancient Lorekeeper lets you steal spells from the Wizard list.

Interesting, although I’m not sure how that helps with healing. Or does this help the character contribute in other ways?

Also, are there other classes besides oracle which would serve as the chassis for a dedicated healer? Are there any cleric archetypes that emphasize healing?

kulosle
2017-11-14, 09:44 PM
I know pathfinder has an incrarnum equivelent. Are there any good healing options there?

grarrrg
2017-11-14, 09:50 PM
Interesting, although I’m not sure how that helps with healing. Or does this help the character contribute in other ways?

It doesn't help with healing really. Only brought it up because it's one of the better Oracle archetypes, and there aren't any other than the Pei Zin that are "healing".

Also, are there other classes besides oracle which would serve as the chassis for a dedicated healer?

For a dedicated healer Oracle or Cleric would be top of the list, mainly due to spontaneous Cure spells, Channel Energy, and in-class bonuses.
Most of the other Divine casters (and Hedge Witch) can make decent healers, but lack many of the options available to Oracles and Clerics.

Are there any cleric archetypes that emphasize healing?
Merciful Healer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/Cleric/archetypes/paizo-cleric-archetypes/merciful-healer) is the only one I can think of.
The downside is that you can only take the Healing domain (no 2nd domain), but free Empowered Cure spells, and Channeling to remove status effects is solid.

Psyren
2017-11-14, 10:28 PM
As grarrrg mentioned, Merciful Healer is meant to hit the basic beats of the 3.5 Healer - most notably the ability to remove a variety of status conditions, to cast more powerful cures, and the ability to cure in combat without provoking. But it does this while also giving you access to the rest of the cleric list, with things like Blessing of Fervor, Stone Shape, Summon Monster and Cold Ice Strike that a normal Healer wouldn't get.

Kurald Galain
2017-11-15, 02:00 AM
So, is there some combination of feats and archetypes that could create a workable healer in Pathfinder?

Two words: Channel Energy.

The ability all clerics get by default enables them to heal all allies within 30' simultaneously as a standard action. It is true that in-combat healing sucks in 3E, but this is not the case in Pathfinder; and that's because there's a wide difference between healing one ally at touch range, and healing ALL allies in a fairly big area. This ability all by itself makes you a viable support character, and you can compound this with the cleric's buff spells or its decent melee ability (e.g. reach weapon to get lots of OAs and trip with them).

(edit) Obviously you want the Selective Channel feat to go with that.

There's also a bunch of feats that boost it, such as the Beacon of Hope feat for worshippers of Milani (requires level 5). Heal the entire party and they get +2 to everything for a couple rounds? Sign me up! Other deities offer condition-removing channels, and there's also a Quick Channel feat which lets you do it twice in one round, in case of emergency.

Eldariel
2017-11-15, 08:42 AM
Note that PF Summon Monster is also significantly better at healing (and in general) than its 3.5 counterpart. Bralani Azata at SM5 for example has 2 Cure Serious Wounds. Vulpinal Agathion also at SM5 has 6 uses of Lay on Hands for 3d6 each. SMVI has Kirin for Break Enchantment and Lesser Restoration too. And that Cleric with Sacred Summons and Superior Summoning can do great amounts of it, with the added benefit of the creatures also taking space, being able to absorb hits, taking AoOs and being able to use some other SLAs and even attacks as well. Much like the 3.5 Unicorns except on a Cleric chassis (speaking of Unicorn, it's also an option at SMV though generally outclassed unless you need the Magic Circle). Leonal Agathion at SM8 finally brings out the Heal spell itself in a spammable outsourcable form. If you can get Ring of Natural Attunement (Kami) with Summon Nature's Ally VII on your list (it's available as a domain spell), you can even access the ridiculous Zuishin with Breath of Life, Heal & al. A more extensive look here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/16dZ5SBQMS1Yi6531tXOkKE_rmXEwn4VFacOEQKiHA5E/edit?pli=1#heading=h.z0mezl80vxnh).

As for Wizard spells to add to your Oracle list, Infernal Healing is worth noting.

stack
2017-11-15, 08:57 AM
I know pathfinder has an incrarnum equivelent. Are there any good healing options there?

Akashic Mysteries, Dreamscarred press.

There are decent healing veil options, though I'm not sure it is the best way to go full-on healer only. I expect this to change when the City of Seven Seraphs comes out with new classes and veils. The radiant class specifically should prove a potent healer. Co7S won't be out for a bit, having just concluded their kickstarter a month or two ago. I believe playtests can be accessed via the backer kit though.

The Shadowmind
2017-11-15, 09:53 AM
The Vitalist and the Tactician with the Battle Medic archtype are both respectable healers. They are Dreamscarred Press instead of Pazio, since DSP are the ones that did Psionics for Pathfinder.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-11-15, 11:13 AM
For DSP, you've got the Radiant Dawn discipline (and the Rajah, a support-based incarnum class that gets it), the Vitalist (psionic healer), and the Medic (mundane healer).

Core, I'd recommend either PeiZin Oracle, Oradin, or WarpShaman (Warpriest+Unsworn Shaman with Life Link). PeiZin's the best healer, Oradin gets the unicorn mount, and WarpShaman is the most flexible