PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade 3 or Divine Soul 2 for my level up?

samcifer
2017-11-14, 06:22 PM
So I'm playing a mc character and just reached lv. 4, but am wondering what I should do for my next level from DS 1/HB2. I really want access to lv. 2 spells, but the druid player in my group says I really want meta magic ASAP. The issue is that my character nearly died in a dice-roll challenge trying to climb a tree to escape from a zombified t-rex when I failed the challenge, got grabbed and had to roll to avoid an insta-kill crushing by the dino. I rolled a 3 and he rolled a 2.

The setting is a homebrew of an island that has had thus far: A grove of interlinked living trees, t-rexes, zombie mutants that grow out of growths on a zombified t-rex and another t-rex that chased us and that's only levels 3 to 4 over the last two game sessions.

I'm playing a blaster with melee options as backup, but am worried about being behind on stronger spell effects (utility and survivability, primarily) by going DS 2/ HB2. Would going to 3 on HB for lv. 2 spells be better for now? (I'll go DS 2 at lv. 5)?

samcifer
2017-11-14, 06:29 PM
Character info:

STR: 10, DEX: 15, CON: 12, INT: 10, WIS: 12, CHA: 18

AC: 17 (med armor + shield)
scored a +2 longsword
Using Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast and Eldritch Spear (long rang has come up a few times in the game so far, so better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.)

Am swapping a sorc spell for Protection Form Evil and Good as that might help some against zombies.

Asmotherion
2017-11-14, 06:38 PM
Character info:

STR: 10, DEX: 15, CON: 12, INT: 10, WIS: 12, CHA: 18

AC: 17 (med armor + shield)
scored a +2 longsword
Using Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast and Eldritch Spear (long rang has come up a few times in the game so far, so better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.)

Am swapping a sorc spell for Protection Form Evil and Good as that might help some against zombies.

I'd say to upgrade your Sorcerer levels asap, or you'll soon reach a curve were you won't like investing into Sorcerer (If you go Sorcerer 1/Warlock 3, your next level is a dead level in Sorcerer, and will need more exp Investment.) From there, wait 'till you reach at least Sorcerer 3 to get to Warlock 3. This way, you have an ASI/Feat to look forward to when you swich back into either class, instead of a dead level. At least that's the way I go for it.

My suggestion is to make a map of what abilities you want from each class, and how much satisfies you from each. Then, prioritise them.

Example:

-I want my Sorlock Tiefling, Akaram, to be able to use a Quickened Eldritch Blast as soon as possible. I also want to be able to occasionally cast eldritch blast silently, so I'll grab Distant Spell as my second metamagic option, and if I desperatelly need to add range to the 120 feet of Eldritch Blast, I'll grab spell sniper, so I won't use up an Invocation (at least at an early level).
-I want it to be as effective as possible on single terget dammage, so I grab Agonising Blast as my first Invocation, and Repelling Blast to add a Controll Effect to my spell. I use Hex as my default concentration spell for the same reason.
-I want to be able to Gish. For this reason, I choose Hexblade as my Patron. I also grabed Green-Flame Blade as his go-to attack, as it is going to eventually allow him to add his charisma a second time, since Akaram is a Fire Dragon Sorcerer.
-I want Akaram to eventually become a devoted Paladin of Bahamut... However this will take time and effort, and won't happer early in the game. I decide that this will happen after level x (for example 10)
-(...)

This way, you plan your level up, and a bit of your character expectations of RP. Then, design your character as you expect them to be end-game (whatever this might be according to your DM).

That's my advice.

Foff
2017-11-15, 07:54 AM
look up a Coffeelock build XD

samcifer
2017-11-15, 10:46 AM
look up a Coffeelock build XD

Not really workable at lv. 4 when I'm Sorc 1 / War 2. I'd basically be giving up 2 spell slots for one, with is a horrible idea. Maybe once I'm leveled up, but for now I'm wondering if having spells like Darkness, Hold Person, Mirror Image, Misty Step, Shatter and Shadow Blade would be better for survivability against dinos and zombies as well as whatever other undead The Thing movies-like horrors the DM is cooking up, rather than just having 2 sp pts. to make an extra lv. 1 slot for another level and delay getting stronger spells even longer.

Do note that actual battles tend to go rather quickly for our sessions, say 2 or 3 rounds per battle.

samcifer
2017-11-15, 02:01 PM
Another thing I've considered is taking Protection form Evil and Good. Is it a useful spell, or would I be better off with something else?