PDA

View Full Version : WoD Why would a demon owe a favor to a vampire? (Old World of Darkness)

MonkeySage
2017-11-14, 10:30 PM
I've got an npc in my new chronicle, she's a demon that currently works for the Tremere Prince.

He's not a thrall, basically she feels obligated to him for some other reason...

From what I understand, all the major factions despise infernalists.

Jackalias
2017-11-14, 11:06 PM
Maybe the vampire figured out the demon's true name or the demon's host had some sort of relationship which the demon inherited?

Pilo
2017-11-15, 04:21 AM
Maybe the demon was trapped in an item or by an item the warlock retrieved (because Tremere have to collect all magic items in the world).
The tremere may have destroyed a infernalist cult of an other demonic rival.
There may be a prophecy the demon knows about involving the tremere.
Influencing the Vampire Prince might also be the simpliest way for the demon to control the city.

Lady Tialait
2017-11-15, 09:12 AM
If the Tremere has a large enough herd (Being a prince this could be the case), then the two could have a feeding pact. The demon harvesting faith from the herd, and the Tremere harvesting blood. The herd would be a very desirable cult for the Demon.

JeenLeen
2017-11-15, 04:47 PM
If this is a demon in the sense of Demon: The Fallen, and not like what the Baali serve or some umbrood called a demon--which seems to be the case--I think most anything could be the cause. Maybe the Prince saved the demon sometime early after it got free from the abyss, or did some big favor. Even if there's no thrall relationship, the demon could be honorable and want to fulfill their side of some bargain or repay a debt.

Politically, this seems very dangerous for the Tremere as a Demon demon is not likely to be considered distinct from a Baali demon or Nephandi demon by most supernaturals, at least unless they've dealt with Demons before. So I would think a Prince would potentially have archons coming to investigate if word got out he was working with a demon, even if as a servant.
And, in extension to other factions in other supernaturals... yep, most all but the demon-worshippers hate demon. I think even the Sabbat considers diabolism a death sentence.

(Note: i'm not real familiar with Demon: The Fallen. If you mean factions as Infernalist type demons vs. other type demons, sorry for misunderstanding.)

MonkeySage
2017-11-15, 08:05 PM
I think they(Baali demons and DTF demons) are one in the same. DTF represents a minority of demons who retain low levels of Torment and are more in touch with the humanity in their host... I think.

JeenLeen
2017-11-16, 10:49 AM
I think they(Baali demons and DTF demons) are one in the same. DTF represents a minority of demons who retain low levels of Torment and are more in touch with the humanity in their host... I think.

I think the demons the Baali and Nephandi serve would at least have to be Earth-bound (or Earth-born? whatever the ones who weren't sealed away are), since they've been active way before the DTF demons' prison got cracked open.

Also, I think there's conjecture about what exactly the entities the Baali serve are, that is, the canon isn't clear. I read the Baali book years ago, and I think it mentioned 2-3 different takes on the Baali's masters. Though it could be one is canon and the others are just lies the Baali spread or conjecture by non-diabolic vamps.

Lastly, it's not uncommon for oWoD books to contradict one another, so I wouldn't be surprised if one book says they are the same, while evidence in others makes it impossible for them to be the same.

BUT if they are the same, then this Prince is probably really in trouble if he gets caught with a demon ally. I'd think he'd be killed for the chance that he'd defect to the Baali, either through corruption or willingly.
I remember, in the Tremere book, that it lists the oath all Tremere take after being Embraced. It's a modification of the Order of Hermes oath. I know the Order of Hermes oath had dealing with demons as a death-worthy offense. Not sure if the Tremere lessened it or not, but I think it was frowned upon (at least if it could look at for or hurt the clan.) Point being: even if the Camarilla is willing to tolerate it, others in Tremere might not. Though they probably wouldn't want to lose a Princedom held by their clan, since I reckon that's rare as most everyone dislikes the Tremere.

EDIT: of course, it's reasonable to chance the above for a given game, or make this Tremere trusted or well-liked enough that others overlook this indiscretion

Calthropstu
2017-11-20, 11:18 AM
Literally anything could satisfy the requirement of the op. If you want it to have further reaching story impact, make it something decent and believable.
Examples:
The devil in question was rescued from slavery to a diabolist by the tremere. The diabolist is still alive though and seeks revenge or still seeks the enslavement of this particular devil.
As above but the rescue was from the machinations of a much more powerful devil. That devil is still in play.
The devil is actually trying to get information or an item connected to the tremere in support of a larger devilish plot.
The devil was released from being trapped for 1000 years. In return it has promised 10 years of service. The organization that originally trapped it has become aware of this development... and aren't happy.

Mr Blobby
2017-11-23, 02:09 AM
Does the demon work for the Prince, or *with* the Prince? This is more than a pedantic question; the latter one is where the demon still has their 'operational independence' [within limits] while the former does not. It also depends on whether each knows of the other's true ID.

#1: The demon is putting a bit [but not their all] into propping up the Prince because they keep their 'kind' in line and away from their own plans. The Prince is watching the demon thinking that they'd be able to use/control/manipulate them as a 'deniable actor' if needs be [say, knocking off a pesky Elder rival].

#2: It is a quid-pro-quo situation; as both were empire-building, they ran into each other's affairs. After a few inconclusive 'skirmishes', both realised that a drawn-out war would ruin both, and they stitched together a deal. Naturally, both sides are looking for a way to 'remove' the other.

#3: The Demon assumed the body of the Prince's old, favoured ghoul. Prince doesn't know the Blood Bond/Dominate is now ineffective, has got lazy around the ghoul-demon, doesn't even *realise* the ghoul has changed. The servant is now starting to manipulate the master; the former is looking for ways that they could ensnare them completely and take over their considerable holdings.

LongVin
2017-11-26, 10:23 AM
From what I understand, all the major factions despise infernalists.

For what it's worth. The Tremere have more of a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to dealing with demons. In their code it says just don't anything that would make the demons pissed at all of House Tremere.

Mr Blobby
2017-11-26, 10:47 AM
That also relies on the vampires being to correctly ID a demon too...

Mutazoia
2017-11-30, 04:05 AM
Maybe the vampire helped him move into his new apartment.