PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Wondrous Item: Wand-Eating Gauntlet

Malapterus
2017-11-15, 12:46 AM
I swear I have seen a spell or some other effect in 3.5 that allows an arcane caster to drain magic out of a wand for their own use. For the life of me, I cannot find it now!

At any rate, it's the base effect I want to use to make an item for a Fighter/Wizard gestalt.

the Wand Eating Gauntlet is a Gauntlet, normally with five fingers. You may touch a wand to the fingertip of any finger on the gauntlet & drain all the charges from the wand into said finger. Each finger can hold one wand, and is from that point treated as wand. it possibly takes some time to drain the wand, and you cannot put a new wand in a finger until the old ones are all drained. You can, of course, simply waste all the charges in a given finger, but this can be problematic in a lot of ways, especially if the wand is Scorching Ray or Polymorph or something strange.

I need to find the effect that drains wands, or some other spell appropriate to this wondrous item, so I can try to figure out a good cost for it.

The closest I can find is the Wand Bracelet, which is considerably more versatile & far too expensive; it also does not for my character concept.

I don't feel this is terribly overpowered; you have to already be able to use a wand to cast it, you have to get the wand first, you're stuck with the ones you pick until they are used up, all in exchange for being able to hold five wands at once.

Any opinions or suggestions for the base spell are quite welcome.

rferries
2017-11-15, 01:28 AM
I swear I have seen a spell or some other effect in 3.5 that allows an arcane caster to drain magic out of a wand for their own use. For the life of me, I cannot find it now!

At any rate, it's the base effect I want to use to make an item for a Fighter/Wizard gestalt.

the Wand Eating Gauntlet is a Gauntlet, normally with five fingers. You may touch a wand to the fingertip of any finger on the gauntlet & drain all the charges from the wand into said finger. Each finger can hold one wand, and is from that point treated as wand. it possibly takes some time to drain the wand, and you cannot put a new wand in a finger until the old ones are all drained. You can, of course, simply waste all the charges in a given finger, but this can be problematic in a lot of ways, especially if the wand is Scorching Ray or Polymorph or something strange.

I need to find the effect that drains wands, or some other spell appropriate to this wondrous item, so I can try to figure out a good cost for it.

The closest I can find is the Wand Bracelet, which is considerably more versatile & far too expensive; it also does not for my character concept.

I don't feel this is terribly overpowered; you have to already be able to use a wand to cast it, you have to get the wand first, you're stuck with the ones you pick until they are used up, all in exchange for being able to hold five wands at once.

Any opinions or suggestions for the base spell are quite welcome.

It's not hugely overpowered, as you say you still have to pay for/acquire the wands anyways, so you're just saving the actions it would take to draw wands from your collection. Maybe use the hand of glory as a price estimate (gives you an extra ring slot, just as your gauntlet saves you a bit of space)?

aimlessPolymath
2017-11-15, 01:55 AM
The main overpowered thing you can do with this is drain 0-level wands to charge 3rd level ones and the like; an "equal or lower level wand"&"equal or lower CL" restriction can take care of this.

Malapterus
2017-11-15, 08:50 AM
The main overpowered thing you can do with this is drain 0-level wands to charge 3rd level ones and the like; an "equal or lower level wand"&"equal or lower CL" restriction can take care of this.

It doesn't do that; it charges the finger with whatever wand you use

aimlessPolymath
2017-11-15, 09:29 AM
But, unless I misread it, that finger has the powers of a specific wand.

Each finger can hold one wand, and is from that point treated as wand.

Did I misunderstand?

Malapterus
2017-11-15, 10:22 AM
But, unless I misread it, that finger has the powers of a specific wand.

Did I misunderstand?

Maybe I need to clarify it. It's a wand of whatever you put in it till it runs out of charges, then you can put a new one in and it becomes the new one until it is out of charges