PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Ascension

noob
2017-11-15, 03:39 AM
So basically a player can become an ai and be a full caster.
Nothing says that you can not get more bodies the ways ais usually gets new bodies.
And each new body will have full casting according to the aggregate template.
I wonder how much game breaking it is when you start using copy and paste on a Psychic ai.
And even if you do not abuse it some robots have awesome defensive abilities like for example the Annihilator(Have a forcefield that regenerate quickly and construct traits and high health)

Venger
2017-11-15, 03:45 AM
So basically a player can become an ai and be a full caster.
Nothing says that you can not get more bodies the ways ais usually gets new bodies.
And each new body will have full casting according to the aggregate template.
I wonder how much game breaking it is when you start using copy and paste on a Psychic ai.

what exactly is your question?

what method are you using? body outside body? some kind of trick with fission? is this homebrew?

noob
2017-11-15, 03:47 AM
what exactly is your question?

what method are you using? body outside body? some kind of trick with fission? is this homebrew?

I was speaking of artificial ascension from the psychic.
And of the fact that ais can usually be copied(just copy the binary code) Or can take over multiple bodies if it gets enough calculation power.
It was all about pathfinder content.
I was thinking that this capstone was a bit excessive compared to capstones from many other classes.

Necroticplague
2017-11-15, 07:41 AM
You're missing some very, very important factors of the Artificial Ascension ability:

Your previous robot body is immediately destroyed by the transference. If the robot you inhabit is destroyed, you are destroyed along with it. You cannot be brought back to life by any means.
So you can't 'duplicate' yourself this way. If you upload yourself to one robot, the previous robot you were in is destroyed.

noob
2017-11-15, 09:04 AM
You're missing some very, very important factors of the Artificial Ascension ability:

So you can't 'duplicate' yourself this way. If you upload yourself to one robot, the previous robot you were in is destroyed.

only if you use that power instead of using the regular way for ais to be in multiple robots.
which is why I said "Nothing says that you can not get more bodies the ways ais usually gets new bodies."
Using that psychic power is not usual for an ai.

Necroticplague
2017-11-15, 09:20 AM
only if you use that power instead of using the regular way for ais to be in multiple robots.
which is why I said "Nothing says that you can not get more bodies the ways ais usually gets new bodies."
Using that psychic power is not usual for an ai.
I'm not seeing anything in the rules for that ability that allow your host to be anything other than a robot, nor anything in the AI rules that allow them to just 'copy' themselves as you describe.

noob
2017-11-15, 09:36 AM
I beleive that by reading stuff about technology,robots,computers and ais it is clear that ais are numeric things and that robots and computers(actually exists: it is described in the ai template) are similar to real life computers(except the fact that there is ais that are very intelligent while in real life there is no ais that are as smart as even basic animals) so it would make sense if you can copy paste data.(basically for preventing that you would need to say that the technologies in pathfinder have nothing in common with any scifi setting)
also by reading the ai template it is clear that ais can be in multiple robots and computer systems(it does not says how)
Or we can go the same path as the one I use sometimes and say that humans can speak languages but do not understand them and that since humans are not specified as having knees they do not have knees.

Necroticplague
2017-11-15, 10:38 AM
I beleive that by reading stuff about technology,robots,computers and ais it is clear that ais are numeric things and that robots and computers(actually exists: it is described in the ai template) are similar to real life computers(except the fact that there is ais that are very intelligent while in real life there is no ais that are as smart as even basic animals) so it would make sense if you can copy paste data.(basically for preventing that you would need to say that the technologies in pathfinder have nothing in common with any scifi setting)
That's like saying it should be easy to just copy-paste Dead by Daylight from my computer to my phone, ignoring the different hardware, software, and operating systems both of those devices hold, as well as the very different installations methods under the hoods. Different AIs need different specs to run, it's entirely reasonable for copy-pasting an AI to a new set of hardware to not result in anything useful. The same intelligence that a ships runs to streamline its operation is, at best, fundamentally lost and useless in a humanoid chassis.

That's without even getting into the issue that an Ascended Psychic isn't a normal AI. It has abilities and history that others normally don't or can't, so it's entirely possible-actually, incredibly likely- that an Ascended Psychic is more than just the sum of its data.

also by reading the ai template it is clear that ais can be in multiple robots and computer systems(it does not says how)So, you admit the rules don't actually state how this copying could occur? So, you'd basically have to homebrew the details yourself?

Are you really surprised that if you homebrew extra capability to an ability for free than it becomes incredibly overpowered? I mean, if the brokeness comes from the duplication, which you seem to be suggesting that all AI can do, then it seems you could get the same benefits out of playing a CR 2 Aggregate creature, and the Psychic ability is fairly weak, since it took 20 levels to something you could do 18 levels ago.

So use an analogy, this is like you saying that crafting is overpowered because artifacts are very powerful, after you homebrewed the ability to craft artifacts (after all, someone had to craft these for them to exist, so its clearly possible).

Holya
2017-11-15, 11:56 AM
I don't know if I'm allowed to link things besides the main sight but there is a item which perfectly replicates a AI the reason AI's do not use this item is because their is no control over the copy. It is its own AI. With everything you know.. It can develop in its own ways and even become a enemy and lets be honest what is the scarier enemy? Some random guy or yourself who thinks you are doing a piss poor job?

Also they can 'jump' bodies without destroy the previous one once you are a actual ai.

An AI can use a compact AI core to seize control of a robot to transform it into an aggregate (Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Technology Guide 59), but no more often than one robot can be controlled at a time, and the compact AI core must remain within 60 feet of the aggregate or control is lost. An AI who attempts to seize control of a robot in this manner can do so as a standard action, and the target can resist the attempt with a successful Will save (DC = 10 + 1/2 the AI’s CR + its Charisma modifier).

So yeah.. The main linking site is really out of date when it comes to the technology books.

Hell the Psychic Imprinter would let you make a army of yourself across hundreds of different races living or dead as long as they have a mind. Still no control of them but. Again its not hard to cause a mass of yourself to eist. The hard part is the controlling them part.