PDA

View Full Version : Optimization half dragon that can actually fly?

Stormingnorman8
2017-11-15, 03:57 AM
So I’m still new to D&D (using 3.5) so forgive me, but I’m having some trouble with my next character build. I’m going with a medium half dragon, but I want wings, not ones to glide with; but actual wings I can use to go up and forward with. I know there’s magical items I can buy, but I’m to the point where there’s not enough coin left.

If the base creature has wings, let’s say a Drake elf or winged elf, then would the wings transfer over or simply not be there?

Thank you in advance

Norm

Inevitability
2017-11-15, 04:00 AM
You can get wings with the Dragonborn (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b) template-race-thing (it's complicated). One of the possible abilities gives you wings, which slowly grow in power.

The Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings feats do the same. It's from Races of the Dragon, and can be taken by half-dragons.

Finally, if you already have wings when becoming a half-dragon, you would keep those. A winged elf has wings, and so does a half-dragon winged elf.

noob
2017-11-15, 04:02 AM
You want to optimize an half dragon that can fly?
If you want to optimize why pick an half dragon on the first place?(the level adjustment is huge and you have very few benefits)
If you are large sized 3.5 half dragon gives you a flight speed and pathfinder half dragon always gives a flight speed but you are better off taking levels in wizard and fluffing yourself to be a half dragon instead of actually picking the template of the same name and then use overland flight(this way you will have better spells and more hit dice).

Boggartbae
2017-11-15, 04:31 AM
Ask your DM if they'll let you have wings. Flying isn't too strong, so it won't break the game or anything. Plus, the size limits on wings that the half-dragon template has are silly. Baby dragons have wings, and they're small size.

Also don't let this forum make you feel bad about taking a bunch of level adjustment. Half dragons are BA, especially if you get that feat that lets them use their breath weapon every 1d4 rounds

EDIT: RAW there's no way to do it without taking another template like "winged creature". I strongly recomend asking your DM to just give you wings. All of the races that get wings have the most crippling limitations, like "can't actually fly properly until 10th level". I've played games where I could fly at will starting from lvl 1, and it was fine. Not broken.

noob
2017-11-15, 04:38 AM
Flying at level 1 can make a bunch of standard encounters invalid.
Get a bow and snipe stuff from maximum range while flying: you will out-range most stuff and make a lot of encounters out of dungeons obsolete.
On the other hand at level 2 and higher it is no longer as much powerful since the opponents starts being better at countering it.(in fact just grab a talisman of the disk and then you can fly forever on your stack of disks)
But one of the standard ways of flying at low level and teleporting at will at higher level is to have a very low mass(play a small race like strongheart halfling and then you can have your raven carry you).

ben-zayb
2017-11-15, 05:34 AM
Half-Shadow-Dragon Drow have fly speed, IIRC. Can't remember if it's Dragons of Faerun or its web enhancement.

lylsyly
2017-11-15, 11:24 AM
Ask if you can use the Dragonspawn Templates from the Dragon Lance Campaign Setting Book. It is a first party publication and has varying LA depending on Dragon Type, White dragon is LA+1. Gets wings and fly speed from level 1 1 free level of sorcerer casting, ability score bonuses, breath weapon, ect.

Nifft
2017-11-15, 11:44 AM
I know there’s magical items I can buy, but I’m to the point where there’s not enough coin left.

Here's what you do.

You get a weapon, you find a ruin or dungeon or fat merchant, and then you use your weapon to get more coin.

You claim to be the Storm in Gnorman, 8th of the Line of Storm Unbroken. Embrace the storm that is your birthright, Gnorman. Bring thunderous ruin to all who stand between you and more coins.

This is the way of a true man* in the dungeon.

When you have 10,000 coins, buy yourself the Feathered Wings fiendish graft (from Fiend Folio).

*) ... or a true woman, or a true elf, or a true dwarf, or a true insectile pseudonatural tibbit thing, or ...

lylsyly
2017-11-15, 11:51 AM
Classic Nifft, just classic, of course now I have to go looking at insectile pseudonatural tibbits ....

Jopustopin
2017-11-15, 12:08 PM
Half-Dragon Human

1st: Dragon WingsRaces of Dragon
6th: Improved Dragon WingsRaces of Dragon

Alternatively: Half-Dragon RaptoreanRaces of the Wild

ATHATH
2017-11-15, 01:50 PM
You want to optimize an half dragon that can fly?
If you want to optimize why pick an half dragon on the first place?(the level adjustment is huge and you have very few benefits)
If you are large sized 3.5 half dragon gives you a flight speed and pathfinder half dragon always gives a flight speed but you are better off taking levels in wizard and fluffing yourself to be a half dragon instead of actually picking the template of the same name and then use overland flight(this way you will have better spells and more hit dice).
While "just be a Wizard" tends to be a solution for every problem, that doesn't mean that it's the best/most optimal solution to every problem.

Ask your DM if they'll let you have wings. Flying isn't too strong, so it won't break the game or anything. Plus, the size limits on wings that the half-dragon template has are silly. Baby dragons have wings, and they're small size.

Also don't let this forum make you feel bad about taking a bunch of level adjustment. Half dragons are BA, especially if you get that feat that lets them use their breath weapon every 1d4 rounds

EDIT: RAW there's no way to do it without taking another template like "winged creature". I strongly recomend asking your DM to just give you wings. All of the races that get wings have the most crippling limitations, like "can't actually fly properly until 10th level". I've played games where I could fly at will starting from lvl 1, and it was fine. Not broken.
Flight is definitely strong. There's a reason why people play Raptorans, Air Mephlings, Fey'ri, and Dragonborn (Air Mephlings and Fey'ri get flight right out of the gate, btw). If level 1 flight in your game wasn't broken, you either weren't abusing your flight properly or your enemies were specifically tailored to your abilities.

And yeah, I agree that half-dragons are cool. But just like you don't have to take levels of the Monk class in order to be a monk, you don't have to take the half-dragon template to be a half-dragon.

A much better option than taking the half-dragon template would be to take the Dragonborn template and take levels in the Dragonfire Adept class (which can pick up at-will Flight as an invocation). Here, have a handbook: http://coboard.wikia.com/wiki/The_New_Dragonfire_Adept_Handbook!

Remuko
2017-11-15, 04:20 PM
in 3.0 i believe half dragons had a chance (50% iirc) to have wings regardless of size. See if your DM likes that and will just go "yeah you happen to be lucky and have them". With the LA having natural flight at that ECL should be fine.

Rebel7284
2017-11-15, 08:56 PM
If it's the flavor you are going for, I highly recommend just going Dragonborn (wings aspect). You need to wait a few levels to get full flight, but it costs you 0 levels which is pretty awesome.

Boggartbae
2017-11-15, 09:06 PM
in 3.0 i believe half dragons had a chance (50% iirc) to have wings regardless of size. See if your DM likes that and will just go "yeah you happen to be lucky and have them". With the LA having natural flight at that ECL should be fine.

Exactly. I know flight is good, but half-dragons already have high LA, so they deserve a little extra, and it's not like it will break the game.

besides, it's not like there aren't a plethora of monsters that can fly up and get you themselves.

Flight is definitely strong. There's a reason why people play Raptorans, Air Mephlings, Fey'ri, and Dragonborn (Air Mephlings and Fey'ri get flight right out of the gate, btw). If level 1 flight in your game wasn't broken, you either weren't abusing your flight properly or your enemies were specifically tailored to your abilities.

Thanks for the dis to me and my game group. Luckily half dragons start at ECL 4 thanks to level adjustment, so level 1 flight isn't a problem ever.

ATHATH
2017-11-15, 09:36 PM
Exactly. I know flight is good, but half-dragons already have high LA, so they deserve a little extra, and it's not like it will break the game.

besides, it's not like there aren't a plethora of monsters that can fly up and get you themselves.

Thanks for the dis to me and my game group. Luckily half dragons start at ECL 4 thanks to level adjustment, so level 1 flight isn't a problem ever.
Are you talking about ECL 1 or class level 1? That might be the source of the confusion, because I'm talking about the former.

Doctor Despair
2017-11-15, 09:43 PM
Take the Unseeley Fey template in addition to what you have. No LA, get wings that grant average flight.

Zanos
2017-11-15, 10:56 PM
That's not a dis. Three dimensional movement provides objective, significant tactical advantages over people who can't leverage it. Few monsters or even classes have abilities to effectively fight flying creatures at low levels. Even if they have ranged attacks they're usually much weaker than their melee attacks or will be taking a penalty due to range increments.

So yes, if you had flight at level 1 and didn't find it to be an ability of significant worth, you either weren't leveraging it or the enemies you fought were uniquely advantaged against it.