PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a fun character for a short low level campaign!

Rfkannen
2017-11-15, 08:23 AM
So half of my party (normally 7) can't all make it for the next couple weeks, so the people who can make it are going to roll up some new characters for like 3 sessions and play around with them.

Looking for some fun build ideas!

I want to make a character who plays differently from my normal character, to mix it up.
my normal character is a celestial pact warlock. Deals a lot of ranged damage, heals people, sneaky, very squishy, 5 strength.

Not sure of the level but somewhere between 1 and 4. I'm going to argue for 3. But it is probably going to be level 1

Any tips for what would be a fun character at low levels who would play pretty differently from a healer warlock?

ps. Not looking for classes with different fluff, just mechanics. (only not for fluff because I like refluffing, so for example a light cleric is pretty similar rp, but I could refluff it as a channel of the plane of fire or a monastic wizard, I would love to hear ideas for fluff actually!)

pps. I own the subclass and spells section of xanathar's on beyond, not the rest though. I like the idea of playing something from it or someone who uses spells from it, but it isn't nececary!

nickl_2000
2017-11-15, 08:35 AM
Well if you are looking for something completely different, go for a Kobold Barbarian wielding a greatsword that is twice the size of it. You can get pack tactics to balance out the disadvantage from the weapon (or if you are in a bright light area then you already have disadvantage, so who cares if you double it up).

Alternately a Minotaur Fighter (if UA is allowed) Battlemaster Grappler who takes Shield Mastery at level 4 if you get there. You only ever attack with your horns, which are brutal anyways.

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-15, 08:50 AM
Based on your OP, someone that does melee damage, isn't interested in healing, isn't sneaky, and isn't squishy is what would be most different what what you normally do.

Now, normally given those criteria, I think you'd get a lot of "Be a Barbarian!" answers. Since that is typically a not very sneaky, not very heal-y, but is also very NOT squishy, class.

However, given that you are going to be playing a bit out of your element here, and that it is a short, low-level campaign, I am going to suggest something a little different to help potentially offset too much of the 'growing pains' in the feel of the character. I'm going to suggest a Half-Orc Melee Ranger. The Half-Orc will give you some of the features of the Barbarian and help with the squish factor. Plus, with the Ranger, you'll get a few spells to maintain some of the spellcasting feel that you're used to, but they won't be your main offense (a great ax will be). If you're looking for something from Xanathar's guide, go Monster Slayer for some fun fluff.

Byke
2017-11-15, 01:27 PM
At low levels a Vhuman Swashbuckler Rogue With Magic initiate is a lot of fun.

8wGremlin
2017-11-15, 10:50 PM
A Hill Dwarf Waterhavian Noble Drunken Master Monk...
at 3rd level you'll have 30 hp!