PDA

View Full Version : Ways around sunlight sensitivity

Quoz
2017-11-15, 09:07 AM
Before you ask - yes, I am trying to break a Koblod. Or better yet, a whole underdark raiding party.

So, what are some clever ways to avoid that awful daystar and it's sickening radiance? Preferably over a wide area as a means of covering for a whole party.

My first impulse was a spell like fog cloud or darkness. If these spells were able to sit about 4 feet off the ground they would be perfect for raiding the tallfolk, but since they're a sphere they just give everyone disadvantage. Still a solid way to level the playing field, especially since kobolds can counteract it so easily.

Most illusions will not block light, and unless your caster spends time moving it your targets can escape

Sleet storm would work and probably create other advantages for a high dex kobold party as well, but if your caster is inside the area he would have to save against his own DC every turn.

And of course, asking your DM for a pair of sunglasses may just not work.

Any other good ways to avoid a tan when you're forced to adventure outside?

JackPhoenix
2017-11-15, 09:46 AM
If you have whole party of kobolds or other underground dwellers, just stay inside until that annoying bright thing disappears for the night. There's no reason to go out during the day. Or when it's not cloudy.

clash
2017-11-15, 10:31 AM
Nothing in the description of fogcloud requires that the spell be cast at ground level. Cast it higher up so that the sphere is above you providing shade to everyone underneath.

Rysto
2017-11-15, 10:39 AM
For a spellcaster, spells that offer a save rather than an attack roll suffer no penalty in sunlight. So having a backup like Acid Splash (DEX save) to use in a pinch is a good idea.

Eradis
2017-11-15, 10:52 AM
You could use the classic old cloak with a hood and a mask. Being dressed up from head to toe protects you from that damning light, but I admit that it would still be too bright. The if you absolutely must venture forth at daylight, it might be a good idea to choose your terrain accordingly. A dense forest perhaps? In a jungle, only 2% or so of sunlight gets to the ground. It shouldn't be enough to gain disadvantage on your rolls.

samcifer
2017-11-15, 11:19 AM
Well, there's always this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oJzfmWO3CU

Laurefindel
2017-11-15, 11:33 AM
Inuits and other northern native-american people used "snow-goggles (https://www.google.ca/search?q=inuit+snow+goggles&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwictZuWgMHXAhUl74MKHTSVCaYQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=923)" which are essentially sunglasses without tinted lenses. They used them to reduce the input of light which, in snow-covered arctic plains, can be blinding. Such sunglasses would not be above the level of technology available in the D&D world.

Whether allowing such a simple item to completely circumvent a racial flaw, balance-wise, is a completely different question.

Quoz
2017-11-15, 01:05 PM
Nothing in the description of fogcloud requires that the spell be cast at ground level. Cast it higher up so that the sphere is above you providing shade to everyone underneath.

I did think of that as well. With pack fighting, I could either have advantage that way against normal opponents or fight in the cloud and give everyone disadvantage, then negate my own. I kind of like the idea of summoning my own personal fog-moon for personal comfort on a hot day.

If instead of a sphere it was a cylinder or elevated wall, I could put it a few feet off the ground. Kobolds and goblins fight in comfortable shade, elves and humans have to either go prone or fight blind.

Naanomi
2017-11-15, 01:48 PM
Slaves to carry parasols?

Llama513
2017-11-15, 01:50 PM
Get a caster to infuse lenses with a weaker version of darkness to invent sunglasses

HoodedHero007
2017-11-15, 01:56 PM
Slaves to carry parasols?
Or just strap one to your back, I'm sure that's what the creature in the darkness does.

The Shadowdove
2017-11-15, 01:58 PM
Wait for the sun to go to sleep.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-15, 03:51 PM
Problem with various hood and sunglasses ideas is that you take the disadvantage when you or the *target* is in direct sunlight. Removing the problem on one end won't help with the other.

Llama513
2017-11-15, 04:53 PM
Problem with various hood and sunglasses ideas is that you take the disadvantage when you or the *target* is in direct sunlight. Removing the problem on one end won't help with the other.

The target being in sunlight is a result of the fact that if you have to look out at them in the sunlight, you are thus looking into the sunlight, thus foiling the hood, the sunglasses however are still valid as they block out the direct sunlight thus allowing you to see fine even when your target is in direct sunlight, trust me I'm a physics major, I can go into more detail but that would be boring.

Naanomi
2017-11-15, 06:39 PM
The target being in sunlight is a result of the fact that if you have to look out at them in the sunlight, you are thus looking into the sunlight, thus foiling the hood, the sunglasses however are still valid as they block out the direct sunlight thus allowing you to see fine even when your target is in direct sunlight, trust me I'm a physics major, I can go into more detail but that would be boring.
Physics and mechanics are basically never bedfellows

Laurefindel
2017-11-15, 06:46 PM
Physics and mechanics are basically never bedfellows

yet they need to at least pretend to be friends for suspension of disbelief to work.

apepi
2017-11-15, 06:49 PM
Use Wish to make the sun go away and enter the dark ages.

Longman
2017-11-15, 09:04 PM
Arctic circle in winter. Raid whenever you like. Hibernate when that pesky orange thing appears for too long.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-15, 10:56 PM

This is D&D we're talking about, it can easily be the result of some mystical property true sunlight has... after all, it's specifically sunlight, not any bright light.

Eradis
2017-11-16, 07:12 AM
Well, there's always this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oJzfmWO3CU

Just so you know, I discovered that video because of you. Sunblock 5000 does look like a great way to smurf the whole squad. Add a bit of white clothing, or red for the old leader and you got yourself a solid theme there. I'm also almost certain this should grant so advantage caused by the distraction or disadvantage for the enemy. Anyhow, I laughed at the video. Thanks.

Ivor_The_Mad
2017-11-16, 07:47 AM
I suggest that you try the umbrella approach. Every few kobolds has a spear with a large umbrella on top covering the troops around him and interlocking it with others. Or equip each kobold with an umbrella helmet.

Naanomi
2017-11-16, 09:15 AM
yet they need to at least pretend to be friends for suspension of disbelief to work.
Sometimes, but narrative influences are more important to me overall. Kobolds, drow, etc... should be the guys lurking in the shadows, who only come out at night, and have their own creepy underground societies... not just be guys who wear stylish anachronistic shades all the time

Eradis
2017-11-16, 09:31 AM
Sometimes, but narrative influences are more important to me overall. Kobolds, drow, etc... should be the guys lurking in the shadows, who only come out at night, and have their own creepy underground societies... not just be guys who wear stylish anachronistic shades all the time

Sometimes the bad Kobolds may have to attack during the day to pin the raids on another group of evil lurking around, goblins for example.

All jokes aside (meaning forget about the shades, umbrellas, sunblock 5000 and the likes), weather would be your best realistic approach with terrain choice such as dense forest/jungle or narrow path surrounded by rock hills casting a shadow on the limited field. Otherwise you might want to travel with a cart holding your party with a designated driver that might or might not be a slave forced to do so, so you can get in a hamlet or city to launch attacks indoors.

Naanomi
2017-11-16, 09:37 AM
Otherwise you might want to travel with a cart holding your party with a designated driver that might or might not be a slave forced to do so, so you can get in a hamlet or city to launch attacks indoors.We have three races with sunlight sensitivity, and a fourth with improved darkvision but no sunlight sensitivity... that svirfneblin is clearly the guy driving the cart

Dalebert
2017-11-16, 10:10 AM
Class choices that are particularly beneficial to kobolds are warlocks, shadow sorcerers, and moon druids. Locks and SSs have ways to see through their own magical Darkness if they have to fight during the day, though you will need to get within 15 feet of an opponent (have your imp fly you up?). Moon druids can just drop the racial penalty altogether by shifting. Eventually you're a giant scorpion with blindsight or an earth elemental with tremor sense, and also with pack tactics. :smallamused:

Puh Laden
2017-11-16, 10:17 AM
The thing about sunlight sensitivity is that what counts as being in an area of sunlight will depend on the DM. Personally, unless the sky is thick with clouds, I make no distinction between shaded and unshaded outdoor areas. If the area counts as bright light, and it’s daytime, and it’s outside, it’s sunlight.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-16, 10:42 AM
The thing about sunlight sensitivity is that what counts as being in an area of sunlight will depend on the DM. Personally, unless the sky is thick with clouds, I make no distinction between shaded and unshaded outdoor areas. If the area counts as bright light, and it’s daytime, and it’s outside, it’s sunlight.

Sunlight Sensitivity outright specifies direct sunlight. Any sort of shade is fine by RAW.