PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Blade vs. Flame Blade

Paeleus
2017-11-15, 01:08 PM
I’ve always liked the idea of Flame Blade but have hated the implementation. Whether it’s the spell description’s limitations or the fact that it’s only on the Druid spell list, I have felt let down with how they dealt it to players. It seems they have finally figured out how to create a spell that grants a melee weapon in exchange for a spell slot.

So now that Shadow Blade is out, do you believe a redo of the Flame Blade spell is in order (spell description and spell access)?

What would be the repercussions be?

Do you think such a thing would cascade into Ice Blade/Lightning Blade/etc.?

DivisibleByZero
2017-11-15, 01:11 PM
Flame Blade has pretty much always been Druid only.
I'm not too fond of the implementation in this edition either, but Druid only has pretty much always been true.

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-15, 01:41 PM
Flame Blade would pretty much be fine if:

a) You could use Wisdom as your attack stat as an option, and

b) Can be used just as part of the normal attack action, instead of requiring a special action type.

lunaticfringe
2017-11-15, 01:42 PM
Sure go nuts. Though I would reduce the duration on flame blade if you upgrade it. I swap damage types all the time. It's laziest & safest way to brew.

Submortimer
2017-11-15, 02:11 PM
The trick with Flame Blade that makes it useable for a druid is that it is a spell attack, not a melee attack. While overall I like Shadow Blade more, Flame Blade has its benefit and probably shouldn't be changed.

Besides, Druids have more than enough decent melee options as is, Between Flame Blade, Shillelagh, and wild shape.

Dudewithknives
2017-11-15, 02:22 PM
Flame Blade would pretty much be fine if:

a) You could use Wisdom as your attack stat as an option, and

b) Can be used just as part of the normal attack action, instead of requiring a special action type.

Flame Blade does use Wisdom for the attack it is a spell attack.

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-15, 02:31 PM
Flame Blade does use Wisdom for the attack it is a spell attack.

Sorry, kind of wrote those two backwards. Meaning that it should allow you to attack with a normal attack action, and STILL allow you to use Wisdom for the modifiers.