PDA

View Full Version : New eldaritch knight

Shadowbane13
2017-11-15, 02:47 PM
So my group just hit lvl 3 last night at the end of our session and we began leveling. I'm looking for the best set up of spells for an EK. Any suggestions?

For reference the group consists of:
Warlock
Druid
Pally
Bard

I am a dragonborn as well

Not really focused in a specific school either.

Arkhios
2017-11-15, 02:55 PM
So my group just hit lvl 3 last night at the end of our session and we began leveling. I'm looking for the best set up of spells for an EK. Any suggestions?

For reference the group consists of:
Warlock
Druid
Pally
Bard

I am a dragonborn as well

Not really focused in a specific school either.

How's your intelligence?

Eldritch Knight is pre-set to be "focused" around abjuration and evocation, as you no doubt knew, but depending on your int, the choice of spells could vary quite a bit.

Ps. Fixed the post title for you.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-15, 04:23 PM
If you're a melee range focused Fighter with decent Int: Firebolt is something you want.
Booming Blade and/or Green-flame Blade is always good for an EK, and BB doesn't rely on Int at all.
If you get to 10th level EK, see about getting Toll the Dead, if that's still on the Wizard list. Smack something with your weapon as a bonus action, then cast Toll the Dead for Save at Disadvantage, and doing a d12 because they've been harmed already. It's Necrotic damage, but you can't win 'em all.

Of course, you could always take Minor Illusion or Prestidigitation for flavor. Or use one of the extra ASI/Feats to nab Magic Initiate (Wizard) for some of those beauties.

History_buff
2017-11-15, 04:28 PM
On my Eldritch Knight (level 5) I have shield, absorb elements, expeditious retreat, and magic missile. IMO especially with lower INT, you want spells that don't key off your casting stat, spells that make you more effective in combat, and spells that give you a little bit more utility than your non magically inclined fighter bros.

It's for this reason why EK's are often rightly considered to be one of the most durable archetypes out there.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-15, 04:36 PM
True. If my current party wasn't already having a Fighter and lacking a Cleric or other kind of emergency healer.. I would've gine for an EK myself.
Not that I'm not enjoying my Fighter 1/ Death Cleric 2 so far, though. Especially since I have the highest AC of all 3 of us, and that's before I swap from Scythe to S&B.

Relbin
2017-11-15, 06:15 PM
Shield, Absorb Elements, Tasha’s Hideous Laughter if your Intelligence is good, otherwise Expeditious Retreat.

Shadowbane13
2017-11-15, 07:25 PM
Intel is a 13 right now. May bump it up at 4th with strength

History_buff
2017-11-15, 07:28 PM
Intel is a 13 right now. May bump it up at 4th with strength

You'll appreciate the extra mobility from expeditious retreat then. Tasha's ain't gonna be reliable at all with only a +1/+2 INT mod.

Specter
2017-11-16, 07:14 AM
The guide in my signature might help.

Klorox
2017-11-22, 03:05 PM
There are so many good wizard spells that have nothing to do with intelligence.

I played an EK to level 12 and had a 9 intelligence. Nobody at the table ever knew.

Around level 8 or 9, I remember the team finding a headband of intellect that the dm planted for me. I never took it, nor did I ever miss it.

Shield, expeditious retreat, absorb elements are all great spells.