PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Recommend me a module for a one-shot/two-shot!

PhoenixPhyre
2017-11-15, 08:49 PM
So my normal campaign is going on hiatus for a few weeks (or more) due to a player's wife having a baby. Some of us still want to play, so I was thinking of running some of the classic modules. Many of them have been re-released through DMGuild and conversions published for 5e (the system I usually play). Since I don't have any experience with them, I figured I'd ask all y'all what your favorites are.

I figure we may not have many sessions (3-5 4 hour sessions), and probably 2-3 players. A nice dungeon-crawl or other such adventure would be nice--much more on the popcorn style of play than the deep cerebral gaming style or the killer-dm style.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mutazoia
2017-11-16, 01:31 AM
The hidden shrine of Tamoachan (http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/dd1/c1.htm)
The village of Hommlet (the precursor to Temple of Elemental Evil)
The Temple of Elemental Evil
White Plume Mountain

LibraryOgre
2017-11-16, 01:23 PM
You might take a look at Dragonsfoot.org (https://www.dragonsfoot.org); not the forums (though they'll happily give you some direction as to what has worked well), but the site itself has a number of adventures for TD&D that'll be easy to drop-in.

Khedrac
2017-11-18, 03:47 PM
I think following MArk's suggestion is probably your best bet.

The other issue is nicely illustrated by Mutazoia's post:

The hidden shrine of Tamoachan (http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/dd1/c1.htm)
The village of Hommlet (the precursor to Temple of Elemental Evil)
The Temple of Elemental Evil
White Plume Mountain
My first thought was UK7: Dark Clouds Gather (which isn't actually a dungeoncrawl) - but it has the same issue as all of Mutazoia's suggestions which is why I did not, at first, post - and that is it's AD&D 1st Ed - and your thread title asked for 2nd Ed.

Most (if not all) of the really classic great modules are either AD&D or BECM D&D (the Immortal modules are neither great nor classic). In the era of 2nd Ed TSR were beginning to discover that modules are not great on a cost:sales basis as they obly really sell to a sub-set of players (DMs). They did make a fair number of modules, but they somehow lacked the style of many 1st Ed modules.

Lapak
2017-11-19, 07:51 AM
Most (if not all) of the really classic great modules are either AD&D or BECM D&D (the Immortal modules are neither great nor classic). In the era of 2nd Ed TSR were beginning to discover that modules are not great on a cost:sales basis as they obly really sell to a sub-set of players (DMs). They did make a fair number of modules, but they somehow lacked the style of many 1st Ed modules.My thinking is that most of the interesting adventure design of the 2e era was in the better submissions to _Dungeon_, and they turned their in-house resources towards splatbooks and settings once they realized they could effectively crowdsource adventure design.

LibraryOgre
2017-11-20, 11:36 AM
My thinking is that most of the interesting adventure design of the 2e era was in the better submissions to _Dungeon_, and they turned their in-house resources towards splatbooks and settings once they realized they could effectively crowdsource adventure design.

There's also a business issue. If I make an adventure, I sell it to 1 DM, and it is used by 4-6 players and that DM. If I make a splatbook, I potentially sell it to 1 DM and 4-6 players. At a certain point, the weight goes to selling things for players.

Loxagn
2017-11-22, 10:44 AM
Oh, oh! How about Grimtooth's Dungeon of Doom?