PDA

View Full Version : Speculation A spiritual dilemma

Lord8Ball
2017-11-16, 01:17 AM
So to start this all off I have an idea regarding the spells clone and reincarnate. My hypothesis is that if you kill a clone and cast reincarnate on it when you die your soul will be transferred to the clone. Now the first impression of a person will be well that is silly of course this is not possible because the clone spell "ends" upon death. The thing about this spell is that it is "instantaneous" with the effect of (body inert in stasis if undisturbed). Right after it says "At any time after the clone matures, if the original creature dies, its soul transfers to the clone, provided that the soul is free and willing to return".This does not say anything about if clone resurrects or ending of spell if it is disturbed just the effects preserving the body. Now that is all well and good since reincarnate remakes the body, yet it does not remain in stasis ;therefore, can age, starve, and die if left unattended or without spell aid. You may want to make the point that the body is physically identical to you in every way and if you change that your body is no longer viable for soul transplant. This is not a square in the circle slot dilemma because the new body is still subject to the spell unless otherwise stated. It remains attuned to your soul through "clone" since the rules do not state that upon death all spell effects are undone. EX. In the case of (non concentration effects) such as blink lasts one minute regardless of consciousness. There is also another big argument that you cannot cast reincarnate on a soulless creature. "You touch a dead humanoid or a piece of a dead humanoid. Provided that the creature has been dead no longer than 10 days, the spell forms a new adult body for it "and then" calls the soul to enter that body." The body is created before the soul is called and the body is alive (until it starves to death), but inert. Now even if this is possible by RAW This is still up to the DM's interpretation.
Reasoning:
Now all of you are wondering why do you want to do this. The cost is expensive and you are possibly losing out on key stats in the race lottery. The strategy is to be used if a high level wizard wants to fake death and become an anonymous entity without any links to your past. The risk is worth the reward. Why am I using this method instead of suicide and getting reincarnated by a druid directly after? This is for the simple fact that a wizard of that high a level does not gamble his/her life easily. What could the wizard do if the druid were to try treachery.
Topics of interest:
What happens if you cast magic jar on your clone or a new soulless body?
(option1)DM rules that your original body becomes inert and un-ressurectable as per spell and that the clones body is now your body.
(option2)DM rules that you cannot possess a soulless body even if alive as there is nothing to put in the container.
Player argument: It is a humanoid and it is alive so that means that the target does not get a save and gets possessed anyway.
Final remarks:
Everything is up to the interpretation of the DM ;therefore, even if this is possible it can be impossible. I wish to suggest to DMs that this process in itself is not easy, costly, and could reduce the power of a character. Make sure to tell your players of this issue beforehand. It can be used as a plot hook or questline such as currying favor from a the druid or other powerful entity. Power always comes with a cost. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading this far.

Unoriginal
2017-11-16, 03:28 AM
You can't use Reincarnate on a clone before a soul get in it. If it has never been alive, Reincarnate has no effect, and if there is no soul available, Reincarnate fails.

Lord8Ball
2017-11-16, 09:57 AM
The reincarnate spell creates a new body first "and then" calls for a soul which will not come and that portion of reincarnate will fail leaving the body behind and inert, but not dead. Reincarnate does not specify that a soul is required to have been in the body before you cast the spell upon a corpse without one. When the last part of the spell fails it does not mean that the body is obsolete for it is still under effect of the clone spell and according to DM ruling can swing either way from a yes to a no.

Unoriginal
2017-11-16, 10:02 AM
What.

How do you want to put something that is not the clone under the effect of the Clone spell.

Lord8Ball
2017-11-16, 10:11 AM
You are thinking of clone by definition, but not necessarily spell. I explained how it works in the opening based on how killing the clone and reincarnating it does not end the effect of clone.

Provo
2017-11-16, 10:56 AM
Sure, it sounds reasonable to me. You can reincarnate the clone because it is in a way attached to your soul. I am not sure I'd use this though.

From a players perspective, that is a lot of work/money just for an identity change.

From a DMs perspective, it could be an interesting plot element for an NPC to do this.

Either way, it doesn't seem like something people should be rules lawyers about. RAW doesn't explicitly state how these spells interact, And it is almost purely for RP purposes that someone would do this.