PDA

View Full Version : Which feat to take?

Feuerphoenix
2017-11-16, 06:56 AM
Hey guys,

I was starting a new group as a player with DnD 5e, and was able to play the Oath from my signature for my pally. I got a nice set of dice rolls (17,6,13,7,11,18 after mods) and was planning ahead to take PAM with GWF (sage advice is not in effect).

Since the oath has a lot of his focus towards fire, I was wondering myself, whether the Elemental adapt actually would make sense. This feat competes with GWM and/or Resilience(Con).

What do you think?

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-16, 07:23 AM
You could grab Elemental Adept, but I'd personally grab Resilient first, to have that covered, and even out your Con score. Assuming your listed scores are in order.

Unless you're going ham on the Fire damage (Like a Fire Draconic Sorcerer might..), I wouldn't worry about Elemental Adept. Paladins tend to be "I hit it with my weapon" and add onto that with Divine Smite, and/or use their Concentration for a buff like Bless, Shield of Faith, or a Smite spell as needed.

Of course, if you are going Sorcadin with a fire based Draconic Bloodline, EE starts being more interesting.

HermanTheWize
2017-11-16, 09:01 AM
What does the rest of your group look like?

Willie the Duck
2017-11-16, 09:10 AM
Certainly not until you get your fireball spell at 9th. And even then I wouldn't. Elemental adept is great for a firemage doing his fire thing and then suddenly running into something resistant to fire. As a paladin, you already have a backup plan if you run into something resistant to fire: hit is with a sharpened stick.

EDIT: Plus I see lots of odd attributes. You have plenty of uses for your ASIS.

Feuerphoenix
2017-11-16, 09:19 AM
I only know one other member of the party and that is a Warlock.

Ok elemental adept is out of the game now. Still I consider taking one more Feat, either GWM or resilient. The other ASIs are getting into CHA and Str, plus another STR enhancing feat, but dunno which XD

Beelzebubba
2017-11-16, 11:20 AM
Unless your party is a bunch of overtly powergaming munchkins, go for flavor. So many characters end up looking alike after going through the 'message board filter'. Be unique.

The feats that are sub-optimal aren't SO bad that you suck by taking them. They're just not the Absolute™ Bestest of the Best™

The thing is, fire is quite often resisted, and if you want to have it as an option no matter what, you are so awesome at fire that things that don't mind fire are like 'OH NO this dude is so good with fire he's burning me! ME!', then just take the feat!

Willie the Duck
2017-11-16, 01:26 PM
Unless your party is a bunch of overtly powergaming munchkins, go for flavor. So many characters end up looking alike after going through the 'message board filter'. Be unique.

Generally agree. My favorite feats for Fighters are Ritual Caster ("there goes the 'fighter only can do anything in-combat' argument."), healer ("cleric-what?"), or skilled (possibly with MAM, if one of those skills is stealth). However, if you use attributes representing part of the character's personality, I do think polishing some of those stats would be fun. A super-strong, charismatic, clumsy, book-dumb but maybe a little bit cagey guy is a fun concept to play.

Feuerphoenix
2017-11-16, 02:05 PM
Mmh sounds about right :) thanks guys :)