PDA

View Full Version : Background Question

Birdwood
2017-11-16, 08:31 AM
Hail, Giants!
Its me again, with my weird character questions

So, Im working on a Tortle GOO Bladelock with the Hermit Background
And I wanted to play a really, really old turtle guy, calling people "kids" and threatening people off his lawn and stuff

So I was wondering...
Would it be acceptable to use the Hermit's Feature to attain immortality? (as in, infinite lifespan, not invulnerability or invincibility)
It wouldnt have a huge mechanical effect, other than the fact that I could probably be the tutor to countless generations of heroes
I wouldnt be immune to aging, aging-like effects, instant death, etc

inb4 "Ask your DM":
I came here because, while I do intend to eventually use the character on a home game, I was also considering on using him on Adventurer's League, and might as well know if such a thing would get a banhammer straight away with little to no consideration

Thx <3

Falcon X
2017-11-16, 08:35 AM
I would do it, so long as the DM approves.

Cybren
2017-11-16, 08:36 AM
inb4 "Ask your GM":
I came here because, while I do intend to eventually use the character on a home game, I was also considering on using him on Adventurer's League, and might as well know if such a thing would get a banhammer straight away with little to no consideration

Thx <3

No, the only answer is "ask your GM". There's no other answer. That's it. Ask your GM. The Adventurers League FAQ says only this:

Can you create a customized background for your character?

Yes, you can customize backgrounds per the rules in the Player’s Handbook, which state that you can pick any two skills and a total of two tool proficiencies or languages. In addition, you can select a feature from any background.You can choose an equipment package from a background or spend gold on gear as normal.

Birdwood
2017-11-16, 08:46 AM
No, the only answer is "ask your GM". There's no other answer. That's it. Ask your GM. The Adventurers League FAQ says only this:

Thing is, im not "creating a custom background"; the Hermit feature is very open as to what it can actually do, and I was just wondering what exactly are the limits on what can be gained with it

Still, in such case, what happens? Should I ask every single GM I play with for the lifetime of the character whether this interpretation is allowed? Or does the first time something is approved make it "legal"?

Unoriginal
2017-11-16, 08:49 AM
As a DM, I would consider it. On one hand, immortality is worth a Boon, on the other hand if you're not trying to make other immortal it's certainly within the bound of an Hermit's Discovery.

Hermits becoming immortals thanks to one-time events is a thing in several legends, most notably Japanese ones.

Should I ask every single GM I play with for the lifetime of the character whether this interpretation is allowed?

Basically.

nickl_2000
2017-11-16, 08:51 AM
So, I'm assuming that you are talking about the Feature: Discovery. The feature on its own wouldn't give you immortality, but if could give you a recipe that can be brewed into a potion of Immortality. So, it's become your characters goal to hunt down the rare ingredients so that you can make the potion. At least that is how I would read it.

I don't see why that would cause an issue in AL, but I've never played AL to know.

Cybren
2017-11-16, 08:51 AM
Thing is, im not "creating a custom background"; the Hermit feature is very open as to what it can actually do, and I was just wondering what exactly are the limits on what can be gained with it

Still, in such case, what happens? Should I ask every single GM I play with for the lifetime of the character whether this interpretation is allowed? Or does the first time something is approved make it "legal"?

The feature literally instructs you to work with the DM

Naanomi
2017-11-16, 08:54 AM
Generally in AL the question of the Hermit background is that it has no effect at all... in fact, with few exceptions, background features only matter in AL when specifically called out in adventure paths or supporting documents.

I would, when running AL, say that the feature is OK, then essentially ignore it mechanically. I suspect most, but not all, AL gms would be the same.

Although... I might change it to aging at 1/10th normal rate to better fit the Druidic timeless body model rather than just flat out being better than a level 18 class ability

Unoriginal
2017-11-16, 08:59 AM
"No dying of old age" immortality has literally no effect on the game by itself.

Birdwood
2017-11-16, 09:09 AM
So, I'm assuming that you are talking about the Feature: Discovery. The feature on its own wouldn't give you immortality, but if could give you a recipe that can be brewed into a potion of Immortality. So, it's become your characters goal to hunt down the rare ingredients so that you can make the potion. At least that is how I would read it.

I don't see why that would cause an issue in AL, but I've never played AL to know.

Thought about that one as well; Id be willing to work with it over multiple campaigns, even
I'd just reflavor it into some kind of Ambrosia or sorts, because the character in question is a cook

The feature literally instructs you to work with the DM

Yes, but (not trying to be rude, sorry if I am) if you read the question completely, you'll realize my concern is mostly about the "dealing with possibily a variety of DM's with different views on stuff"
I respect the idea that, for some people, some features might sound a bit too absurd by themselves
But, given that Im going through a battery of "people", might as well see if I have some sort of rule to support what I originally thought for my character, instead of subjecting myself to some kind of rotation of similar-but-not-quite-the-same benefits because of varying views (aka: one DM saying its all fine and good, and another telling me to nerf it down to a recipe I should go after, with a third saying I should have the "Timeless Body" Druid ability)

Generally in AL the question of the Hermit background is that it has no effect at all... in fact, with few exceptions, background features only matter in AL when specifically called out in adventure paths or supporting documents.

I would, when running AL, say that the feature is OK, then essentially ignore it mechanically. I suspect most, but not all, AL gms would be the same.

Although... I might change it to aging at 1/10th normal rate to better fit the Druidic timeless body model rather than just flat out being better than a level 18 class ability

That could work too, although iirc the max age for Tortles isnt very high; I'd prefer finding the recipe for an immortality <thing>
Also, does this mean that basically, the background features are completely ignored? So, for instance, if someone with the Sailor BG asked for free passage, they would be denied the right and be asked to roll through it?

JackPhoenix
2017-11-16, 09:39 AM
Yes, but (not trying to be rude, sorry if I am) if you read the question completely, you'll realize my concern is mostly about the "dealing with possibily a variety of DM's with different views on stuff"
I respect the idea that, for some people, some features might sound a bit too absurd by themselves
But, given that Im going through a battery of "people", might as well see if I have some sort of rule to support what I originally thought for my character, instead of subjecting myself to some kind of rotation of similar-but-not-quite-the-same benefits because of varying views (aka: one DM saying its all fine and good, and another telling me to nerf it down to a recipe I should go after, with a third saying I should have the "Timeless Body" Druid ability)

But that's the point. Hermit's background feature isn't very suitable for AL play, because it's completely GM-dependant. Other features have set benefits, Discovery is basically "create your own background feature and ask the GM if he's OK with this". Some GMs may be fine with it, others may ban it.

Naanomi
2017-11-16, 09:43 AM
But that's the point. Hermit's background feature isn't very suitable for AL play, because it's completely GM-dependant. Other features have set benefits, Discovery is basically "create your own background feature and ask the GM if he's OK with this". Some GMs may be fine with it, others may ban it.
Although in most AL adventures, the only backgrounds that are likely to have any effect consistently is... Outlander really; and maybe Urchin. Inheritor for cash... The rest are super spotty at best, double so when played piecemeal instead of a specific adventure path

Birdwood
2017-11-16, 09:52 AM

Hmm... valid point, failed to see that feature as the DIY placeholder

Aight then; considering the other quite specific benefits of the other BGs, does anyone know of any particular (realistic please) scenario where I'd break the game for actually having an infinite lifespan?
As in "Id be immune to spell <so and so> because it specifically ages the target to their death"

mephnick
2017-11-16, 10:03 AM
I think there's a couple of aging effects, but the chances of it mattering are infinitesimally small.

Birdwood
2017-11-16, 10:18 AM
I think there's a couple of aging effects, but the chances of it mattering are infinitesimally small.

Two mentions I found were that both Bestow Curse and failing a Ghost's DC by 5 or more can age your character
In the Ghost's case, it can be removed by means of a Greater Restoration spell within 24 hours of happening

Neither of those cases explicitly say "you die immediately if you go over the maximum age allowed for your race", so I suppose that, as always, "depends on the GM"
But, RAW, nothing says it would actually matter much

I could, and would, of course, act it out as if I had age-related issues if those effects did reach me

the_brazenburn
2017-11-16, 11:02 AM
Couldn't you ask your DM if you can just refluff Tortle as a tortoise that can live for hundreds or even thousands of years? No need to bring background into it.

Birdwood
2017-11-16, 11:09 AM
Couldn't you ask your DM if you can just refluff Tortle as a tortoise that can live for hundreds or even thousands of years? No need to bring background into it.

Thought about that as well; as I stated on the original post, though, Im trying to make him into an AL legal character, and Im not sure how the League goes on about messing around with racial statistics

Using the Hermit BG, however, I also found a purpose for the character to go after, so thats what I thought would be the best option here

Avigor
2017-11-16, 11:26 AM
How's about a Secret of:
Elven Longevity
You have discovered a secret method (potion, ritual, or what-have-you) to change your maximum life expectancy to that of an Elf.

Birdwood
2017-11-16, 11:28 AM
How's about a Secret of:
Elven Longevity
You have discovered a secret method (potion, ritual, or what-have-you) to change your maximum life expectancy to that of an Elf.

Works for me!
Agelessness can come later XD

SiCK_Boy
2017-11-16, 08:25 PM
Another option could be to take inspiration from the way the Ring of Winter works in Tomb of Annihilation.

Rather than changing your life expectancy, it makes it so that you stop aging from the moment you become attuned to it. If you stop being attuned, you start aging again, but the time you were prevented from aging does not catch up with you.

This provides essentially the same mechanical benefit (no fear of dying from natural old age), while still making you vulnerable to stuff like ghosts (you can still be magically aged by such effects).

Naanomi
2017-11-16, 08:29 PM
There is a wild surge that ages/youthens as well