PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rolled dice for fun - looking for character creation inspiration

DanyBallon
2017-11-16, 08:50 AM
For an upcoming game, I decided to roll dice for fun (4d6 drop lowest, keep in order) and came up with this array:

STR 16
DEX 6
CON 8
INT 9
WIS 17
CHA 14

I’m looking for interesting race/class combo, no need to over optimize, as I don’t mind playing with a character having such low ability scores as I often use them to flesh out the character.

Character will start level 6, we are playing in a very lax version of FR (think generic setting, but using the name and places as described in SCAG, without bothering too much with the lore). I don’t know the party composition yet, so anything goes, except for Warlock, that I personnaly don’t like.

So how would you turn out those stats in an interesting character to play? :smallbiggrin:

***please don’t tell me that this character is unplayable, or that I should get him killed as soon as I can, this is unproductive, as I really want to give it a try if my DM allows it***

DanyBallon
2017-11-16, 08:52 AM
The obvious choice would be Fighter or Cleric, and heavy armor would help mitigate the low Dex. As for race, I don’t have the sligth idea yet.

I was thinking that the character could have been maimed and poisoned by a creature (green dragon?) in its early adventuring days, which would explained the lower Dex and Con, yet even after suffuring from such wound, still pursued an adventuring career (personal choice, or forced into it?)

nickl_2000
2017-11-16, 08:57 AM
Hill Dwarf Forge Cleric with heavy armor would be my opinion

16 Str
6 Dex
10 Con
9 Int
18 Wis
14 Cha

Hill Dwarf boosts Con and gives extra HP per level.

You've got the strength to wade into combat with weapons, but I would instead focus on Toll the Dead and Word of Radiance since your spell casting is so high. At level 4 you can take Warcaster so you can Sword and Board and you should have a pretty strong character.

Laserlight
2017-11-16, 08:57 AM
Moon druid, I think. When you're in beast form your physical stats won't hurt you; when you're in caster form, stay away from melee.

HermanTheWize
2017-11-16, 09:06 AM
Hill Dwarf Cleric is my choice too

And use that Charisma to spread the word, why do you think your god gave you that voice?

DanyBallon
2017-11-16, 09:39 AM
Hill Dwarf Forge Cleric with heavy armor would be my opinion

16 Str
6 Dex
10 Con
9 Int
18 Wis
14 Cha

Hill Dwarf boosts Con and gives extra HP per level.

You've got the strength to wade into combat with weapons, but I would instead focus on Toll the Dead and Word of Radiance since your spell casting is so high. At level 4 you can take Warcaster so you can Sword and Board and you should have a pretty strong character.

I don’t have the new book yet, what are the features and fluff about Forge clerics?

nickl_2000
2017-11-16, 09:42 AM
I don’t have the new book yet, what are the features and fluff about Forge clerics?

AC boots up the Wazoo.
Here is an official legal early release of the full class from the Extra Life Charity event.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

DanyBallon
2017-11-16, 09:57 AM
AC boots up the Wazoo.
Here is an official legal early release of the full class from the Extra Life Charity event.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

Thanks for the link! I didn’t knew about it

Forge sounds great for my character. I only fear that in addition to be looked as an heal bot, I’ll also be looked as the magic mart guy, event if you can enchant only one item at the time :smallbiggrin:

nickl_2000
2017-11-16, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the link! I didn’t knew about it

Forge sounds great for my character. I only fear that in addition to be looked as an heal bot, I’ll also be looked as the magic mart guy, event if you can enchant only one item at the time :smallbiggrin:

Heal bots really aren't that necessary like they used to be, but there is that concern with Clerics. I think you can mitigate it by dropping some of the big and nasty Cleric blast spells early so you show everyone else that your spells are better saved for that.

Also, there really isn't a reason your character has to tell anyone that they can enchant 1 armor or weapon once per long rest. He can just keep it to themselves.

Citan
2017-11-16, 06:09 PM
For an upcoming game, I decided to roll dice for fun (4d6 drop lowest, keep in order) and came up with this array:

STR 16
DEX 6
CON 8
INT 9
WIS 17
CHA 14

I’m looking for interesting race/class combo, no need to over optimize, as I don’t mind playing with a character having such low ability scores as I often use them to flesh out the character.

Character will start level 6, we are playing in a very lax version of FR (think generic setting, but using the name and places as described in SCAG, without bothering too much with the lore). I don’t know the party composition yet, so anything goes, except for Warlock, that I personnaly don’t like.

So how would you turn out those stats in an interesting character to play? :smallbiggrin:

***please don’t tell me that this character is unplayable, or that I should get him killed as soon as I can, this is unproductive, as I really want to give it a try if my DM allows it***
Those stats scream funky efficient multiclass to me. ;)

Enter the Aziz, the Protector.
Draconic Ancestor Nature Cleric 3 / Draconic Sorcerer 3: you spend your time protecting friends with extended buffs, while dishing out decent damage with Shillelagh Booming Blade.

Another stupid but still efficient thing could be a "all-dip" character, variant human Bard 1 / Warlock 1 / Sorcerer 1 / Druid 1 / War Cleric 1 / Fighter 1: you are someone who never really managed to choose a carrier, incapable of fixating attention for long-term goals. You are like a very glorified npc, using all first level buffs to help party, otherwise using weapon cantrips.

For easy and efficient, you could go Life Cleric 1 / Eldricht Knight 5: after you reach EK 11, grab Cleric levels or Sorcerer/Warlock levels to complement.

For a single class, honestly any WIS caster will do, or Sorcerer with Heightened, or Bard specialized in non-CHA spells that just happens to be especially wise. ^^

In short: those stats of yours give plenty of fun possibilities. ;)

sithlordnergal
2017-11-16, 06:34 PM
Might I suggest:

Paladin: 2 / Moon Druid: X

Moon Druid

Your beast shape would help mitigate your low HP, and two levels of Paladin gives you smite. So you could smite as a bear if you liked. And Moon Druid on its own is a great class.

Cleric could be good too, especially if you go Life Cleric with Sanctuary. Now no-one can touch you as you go around healing your allies.

Nidgit
2017-11-16, 06:55 PM
Hill Dwarf is definitely the safest option race-wise, but what if you went against type and played a STR-based Ranger of your choosing? Maybe you're a Monster Slayer who lost a leg to your M-Oni ****, or a Beast Master who took some bad wounds taming your (exotic?) companion. You'd be locked into Ranger single class without DM fiat but with enough creativity it could be fun.

DanyBallon
2017-11-16, 09:53 PM
Just got my copy of XGtE!!! and in addition to the Forge domain who would be a nice fit to overcome my character deficiency, but feels meh to me... I like the Grave domain and would thematically fit the theme of a character having barely escape death and devote his life to the god of death. Or the Gloom stalker ranger, which would make a great STR ranger and most abilities relies on WIS, instead of dex, which is nice and would make something odd yet effective to play.

As for race, I understand that Hill Dwarves would be a perfect fit to reduce the effects of my character CON score. Yet I was thinking maybe playing a base human, or something odd as a Dragonborn or even a Lizardfolk, especially if I stick with the nickname Dragon Chew that immediatly came to my mind when I thought about the dragon attack, which I feel fits very well with the Lizardfolk fluff :smallbiggrin:

opaopajr
2017-11-17, 07:17 AM
Oh, these "sub-optimal stats" challenges are catnip to me! For this I am compelled to join this forum.

I say embrace your dysfunction! :smallcool: Explore a counter trope and chase it to its pants-on-head conclusion! I'll take them at lvl 1 and let your mind explore the madness from there. :smallcool:

Here, this one likes hanging out with soldier buddies, namely frontline fighters. :smallwink: All about reach ranges to trigger Sneak Attack more often as OAs. Gotta land that SA with DW each turn and again on your reaction. This is my "more serious" take. :smalltongue: (Booo! Boring, innit? Booo! :smallyuk: )

Ted Striker
Vuman Rogue Soldier
Lv 1. PB: +2. AN:
HD: 1d8. HP: 7. AC: 10 (11 if Dual Wield)

STR 16, DEX 6, CON 8, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 14

Race - Vuman
+1 Feat, +1 Skill, 2x +1 stats. Common, Extra Language.

Skill: Animal Handling +6, Athletics +5, Deception +4, Insight +8, Intimidate +4, Perception +8, Persuasion +4.
Tool: Game Set, Thieves', Vehicle (land).

Feat: Dual Wielder.

Class - Rogue
Expertise
Thieves' Cant
Sneak Attack

Armor: Studded Leather, if possible
Weapon:
Rapier. +5 atk 1d8+3. finesse.
Whip. +3 atk 1d4+3. finesse, reach.
6x Daggers. +5 atk 1d4+3. finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60).

Here is something vastly more fun! An entertaining clown who turns monstrous. But it mainly Intimidates and lets allies do the work. I mean it could attack, but getting people into your confidences for a good scare is better.

You can Guidance yourself before you Hide, if necessary. It gets better with Cunning Action bonus action. Then you can scare with your Thaumaturgy over and over again! Open and shut unlocked windows and doors. Have goat eyes, booming voice, etc. as you terrorize people. And you get one good Sanctuary a day! It only goes away if you Attack or cast a spell affecting an enemy creature. :smallbiggrin:

It
Vuman Rogue Entertainer
HD: 1d8. HP: 7. AC: 8 (10 if you care...)

Race - Vuman

Skill: Acrobatics +2, Deception +4, Insight +6, Intimidation +4, Performance +4, Persuasion +4, Stealth +2.
Tool: Disguise Kit, Musical Instrument - Fife, Thieves' Tools.

Feat: Magic Initiate.

Class - Rogue
Expertise
Thieves' Cant
Sneak Attack

Spellcasting - Cleric
Cantrips: 2. Slots: one 1st/day. Sp Atk: +6. Sp DC: 14.
Cantrips - Guidance, Thaumaturgy.
1st - Sanctuary (because I love... :smallcool: )

Armor: optional, but Studded Leather if you care.
Weapon: optional, but...
2x Daggers. +5 atk 1d4+3. finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60).
20x Dart. +5 atk 1d4+3. finesse, thrown (range 20/60)

And then you can do this Rogue as a Druid Magic Initiate variant with Guidance, Magic Stone, and Faerie Fire! Yes, that's right, Faerie Fire and a Sneak Attack sling with 1d6+4 dmg stones. :smallcool: Effective nonsense again, I know, but dude! DEX 6 Rogue with access to Faerie Fire with ranged weapon that actually works! It's like magic!

DanyBallon
2017-11-17, 08:20 AM
Oh, these "sub-optimal stats" challenges are catnip to me! For this I am compelled to join this forum.

I say embrace your dysfunction! :smallcool: Explore a counter trope and chase it to its pants-on-head conclusion! I'll take them at lvl 1 and let your mind explore the madness from there. :smallcool:

Here, this one likes hanging out with soldier buddies, namely frontline fighters. :smallwink: All about reach ranges to trigger Sneak Attack more often as OAs. Gotta land that SA with DW each turn and again on your reaction. This is my "more serious" take. :smalltongue: (Booo! Boring, innit? Booo! :smallyuk: )

Ted Striker
Vuman Rogue Soldier
HD: 1d8. HP: 7. AC: 10 (11 if Dual Wield)

Race - Vuman

Skill: Animal Handling +6, Athletics +5, Deception +4, Insight +8, Intimidate +4, Perception +8, Persuasion +4.
Tool: Game Set, Thieves', Vehicle (land).

Feat: Dual Wielder.

Class - Rogue
Expertise
Thieves' Cant
Sneak Attack

Armor: Studded Leather, if possible
Weapon:
6x Daggers. +5 atk 1d4+3. finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60).

Here is something vastly more fun! An entertaining clown who turns monstrous. But it mainly Intimidates and lets allies do the work. I mean it could attack, but getting people into your confidences for a good scare is better.

You can Guidance yourself before you Hide, if necessary. It gets better with Cunning Action bonus action. Then you can scare with your Thaumaturgy over and over again! Open and shut unlocked windows and doors. Have goat eyes, booming voice, etc. as you terrorize people. And you get one good Sanctuary a day! It only goes away if you Attack or cast a spell affecting an enemy creature. :smallbiggrin:

It
Vuman Rogue Entertainer
HD: 1d8. HP: 7. AC: 8 (10 if you care...)

Race - Vuman

Skill: Acrobatics +2, Deception +4, Insight +6, Intimidation +4, Performance +4, Persuasion +4, Stealth +2.
Tool: Disguise Kit, Musical Instrument - Fife, Thieves' Tools.

Feat: Magic Initiate.

Class - Rogue
Expertise
Thieves' Cant
Sneak Attack

Spellcasting - Cleric
Cantrips: 2. Slots: one 1st/day. Sp Atk: +6. Sp DC: 14.
Cantrips - Guidance, Thaumaturgy.
1st - Sanctuary (because I love... :smallcool: )

Armor: optional, but Studded Leather if you care.
Weapon: optional, but...
2x Daggers. +5 atk 1d4+3. finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60).
20x Dart. +5 atk 1d4+3. finesse, thrown (range 20/60)

And then you can do this Rogue as a Druid Magic Initiate variant with Guidance, Magic Stone, and Faerie Fire! Yes, that's right, Faerie Fire and a Sneak Attack sling with 1d6+4 dmg stones. :smallcool: Effective nonsense again, I know, but dude! DEX 6 Rogue with access to Faerie Fire with ranged weapon that actually works! It's like magic!

I wasn’t expecting Rogue build at all!!! Those could be quite effective and interesing to play.
Thank you very much for the ideas!