PDA

View Full Version : New Character

carrdrivesyou
2017-11-16, 09:57 AM
So I am currently in a game, and I have grown so tired of my current character that I have decided to actively try to kill him off. He's a Light cleric, and there is another Light cleric in the group. No animosity between players, but getting tired of having a carbon copy around. Given the current adventure, should be pretty easy. The problem is, I have two character builds that I made (8th level at this point), but I cannot decide which I want to play more. I tried looking at it from a tactical standpoint, but still cant seem to make up my mind. So I turn to you Playgrounders, to help me decide what would be best for my current team.

The current team members are: Sorcerer, Fighter, Monk (also our stealthy infiltrator type, no real INT bonus though), and a Light Cleric.

The characters I have made up are: Cormac, the Raven Queen Chainlock; and Dornez, the High Elf Immortal Mystic. The idea behind the Chainlock is to be a buffer and a scout. Do solid ranged damage with his EB. The idea behind the Mystic is to be a bit of a meat shield and tactician for the group; he isn't bringing much damage to the table, but he is quite skillful and has some self healing.

So that being said, which should I use? Which do you all think would be more beneficial to the party as a whole?

Marvnmartian
2017-11-16, 10:24 AM
Looks as if your party (based apon that list) needs a support more then anything else so if the warlock shtick is something you want to go down why not go 2 levels of lock and rest into bard, allowing you to have the same eldritch blast but also the support spells your party will be grateful compared to straight lock with 2 spells per short rest.

and if your open to switching to a new class all together personal bias has me suggesting cleric 1 bard x to fill in your partys needs knowledge since your deficient in int skills, life if you need a healer, Forge if you want to mix it up in melee (shield twice a day + heavy armor sure ill take that)

the_brazenburn
2017-11-16, 10:56 AM
Probably go with the chainlock. What familiar did you have in mind?

X3r4ph
2017-11-16, 12:48 PM
I vote Immortal. With the right disciplines you can be whatever you want. Jack of All Trades. You can tank a little. You can inspire, buff and blast. Scouting? Sure. You can be the 5th man that the party needs. And as you said yourself, you will be the intelligence man. A niche nobody covers.
High Elf is a decent choice. Gives you the right ability score increases and weapon proficiencies and perception. Not too shabby.

carrdrivesyou
2017-11-16, 01:13 PM
I was thinking of using an Imp. familiar, and just keep him in raven form most of the time. Goes well with the Raven that is granted by the Raven Queen patron pact benefit. Great utility there.

As for the Immortal, I took: Mastery of Ice, Mastery of Force, Psionic Restoration, Psychic Assault, Bestial Form, and Aura Sight. Thoughts?

X3r4ph
2017-11-16, 01:29 PM
I like Adaptive Body and Intellect Fortress because they can buff yourself a lot AND your allies. Advantage on mental saves is incredibly powerful and resistance to elemental damage can change an entire encounter around.

As for self buff I like Beast Form for numerous utility buffs and cheap AC boost. But you gotta pick Master of Wind has the cheapest way to get enemy attacks disadvantage.

Psychic Restoration is also really nice. The group is gonna love you for that.

Depending on how much tanking you want consider 5 levels of Fighter. Champion is simple and strong and works great with the numerous Bonus Action powers you have.
Also, depending upon your interpretation of Beastial Claws it can work as an on hit "smite" like ability. With Improved Critical you can turn into a decent damage dealer as well.
If you don't wanna be a Fighter, because your group already has a Fighter, Barbarian is also pretty sweet. Just make sure to use buffs that doesn't require concentration. .. like Beast Form.

X3r4ph
2017-11-16, 01:36 PM
Oh yeah and Nomadic Chameleon, Nomadic Step and Third Eye are pretty awesome for scouting.