PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spell Creation

ArtenDaelus
2017-11-16, 10:55 AM
So one of my players created a spell
Extradimensional chains
The caster creates chains that bind to a target creature up to Huge.The creature gains the grappled condition while the caster doesn't,but the caster can't move at all.
Spell range is close and the spell duration is 1 round/ caster level.
It's a 3rd level spell
The thing i am not sure is should i allow the spell to target ranged touch?
And if creatures were to climb those huge chains to reach the enemy should those what should the base DC for acrobatics be?

Psyren
2017-11-16, 11:09 AM
I would find a similar spell to compare it to, like Howling Chain (3.5 SpC), Ectoplasmic Snare (OA, PF), or Black Tentacles (core, both).

noob
2017-11-16, 11:09 AM
Which kind of stat do the target use to resist that spell or escape?
Opposed grapple? Str check? reflex?
Also should not this be in homebrew?

ArtenDaelus
2017-11-16, 11:34 AM
To release from the grappled condition CMB vs CMD and the CMD is 10+CL+Int Mod.

Yanisa
2017-11-16, 12:47 PM
I would find a similar spell to compare it to, like Howling Chain (3.5 SpC), Ectoplasmic Snare (OA, PF), or Black Tentacles (core, both).

Or Strangling Hair (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Strangling%20Hair), which is pretty close to the spell here.

The thing i am not sure is should i allow the spell to target ranged touch?
Grappled, like you mentioned yourself, use CMB, so ranged touch doesn't really apply. There isn't a touch to grapple in Pahtfinder, it starts and ends with CMB vs CMD.

And if creatures were to climb those huge chains to reach the enemy should those what should the base DC for acrobatics be?
As for an acrobatic checks, it depends on how big you envision your chains. The rules have a nifty table for that (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/skills/acrobatics.html#acrobatics). I would expect you envision more oversized chains so the base DC would be 10 or 15. You will probably also run into some modifiers, unsteady and sloped come to mind. Those, could easily add anywhere from +4 to +10 depending on how much the target can move the chains and how sloped the chains are.
I would say for Huge creatures the DC is 15, for large DC 25.

Psyren
2017-11-16, 06:39 PM
Grappled, like you mentioned yourself, use CMB, so ranged touch doesn't really apply. There isn't a touch to grapple in Pahtfinder, it starts and ends with CMB vs CMD.

Yes and no - it depends on how you want to start the grapple. Ectoplasmic Snare for instance does start with a RTA, then a grapple check on subsequent rounds.