PDA

View Full Version : Help me evaluate these XGE spells

Marcloure
2017-11-16, 11:59 AM
Hey Giants.

I'm building a level 5 wizard and I want to know how good or bad some of the new XGE spells are/can be. And if they are worth to be taken/prepared now or better wait a bit later.
Many spells in the new book are actually revamped spells already present in EE, so I think I could figure them out from guides. But some spells are new, so I came here looking for some insight.

The three spells I'm most uncertain about are the following:

• Dragon's breath (level 2) (Conc., up to 1 minute): You touch a target and it can use its action to deal 3d6 (11.5) damage in a 15-foot cone. The damage type is chosen between the elemental types.
As how the spell is written, it seems you can cast it on a familiar and have a flame breathing owl. The familiar uses its own action to deal 3d6 damage in the cone, so you and your allies can still use yours own actions to do your things. This way, the spell damage is an addition, not substitution.

• Enemies abound (level 3) (Conc., up to 1 minute): You choose a creature within 120 feet of range. If the creature fails an Intelligence save, it treats any other creature as an enemy. So, it targets randomly, does opportunity attacks on anyone it can, an so on. If the enchanted creature takes damage, it can make a new save.
This spell seems good to me, but I am not sure how it will run in play. It's an empowered version of Crown of Madness, and CoM isn't rated that good. Also, it's in the same spell level as Fireball, Tiny Hut, Hypnotic Pattern...

• Thunder step (level 3) (1 action): You and, if you want, an adjacent ally teleport up to 90 feet. After you vanish, a blast deals 3d10 (16.5) thunder damage to any creature within 10 feet of the departure location.
This spell looks damn cool, and you can use it to save an ally too. But again, same level as others already consecrated spells.

What do you think of these spells?

Nidgit
2017-11-16, 12:07 PM
I think you might be discounting Enemies Abound a little too much. The main drawback to CoM is that the target must use its action to attack FIRST, and if it's alone it can act normally. Enemies Abound means they can move and attack anyone, as well as using reactions on any OA they can. That's significantly better, though it does rely on your DM to play it conveniently. If the target prioritizes enemies for some reason it might backfire.

Quoz
2017-11-16, 12:12 PM
I think Dragons Breath is situationally great. As you said it can be cast on a familiar or other normally actionless companion. But it is also compatible with both twin spell and share spell if you have either feature. So a sorcerer/paladin can use it on yourself, your mount, and another PC/familiar/mount. Fairly efficient, and will wipe out a lot of low level minions quickly.

Enemies Abound is a single target spell that has no effect on a save. It's a gamblers move that is only useful in certain fights, but could really turn some encounters on their heads. Worth putting in the spellbook, but only prepare if you know it will be useful.

Thunder step is a great GTFO spell. Clerics down. Run in, teleport to back lines, do some damage on your way out. Grab the sacrifice from the evil altar, then teleport to another room where you left your familiar. Combos with invisibility for fun snatch and grabs.

Zene
2017-11-16, 12:29 PM
I think Dragons Breath is situationally great. As you said it can be cast on a familiar or other normally actionless companion. But it is also compatible with both twin spell and share spell if you have either feature. So a sorcerer/paladin can use it on yourself, your mount, and another PC/familiar/mount. Fairly efficient, and will wipe out a lot of low level minions quickly.

Three castings for one concentration! Impressive. It'd be fun to build a character concept around this. Scales at 1d6 per additional spell level, which seems weak, but when you consider that x2 or x1.5 (if you're twinning it and affecting a mount as well, so three targets for the cost of two castings), and lasts the whole battle.... that might be worth using it into higher levels?

Just curious, are there other spells you could see this working with? Either as a replacement for Dragon's Breath at higher levels, or in addition to it (like a bonus action recurring damage spell --maybe Melf's Meteors? Though that'd only work with mount sharing, not twin).

Edit: Ooh, or Crown of Stars (no concentration, could be combo'd with DB)

stoutstien
2017-11-16, 03:48 PM
The best thing about enemies abound is the Int save. It's a very rare save in this Edition. It has a great range so you could Target an enemy ranged attacker with it.

Both dragon's breath and thunderstep seem about right. I think it's some funny combos with thunderstep and eldrich knight. You can put Shadow Monks a shame for teleporting abilities

NecroDancer
2017-11-16, 04:00 PM
I didn't realize Dragon Breath can be used by a familiar, I just thought it was a good option that war wizards can use when they can't cast spells.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-16, 04:17 PM
I didn't realize Dragon Breath can be used by a familiar, I just thought it was a good option that war wizards can use when they can't cast spells.

I'll have to keep this one in mind for any EK/War Wizard I make..

SharkForce
2017-11-16, 05:00 PM
yeah, enemies abound sounds like a major upgrade over crown of madness. absolutely devastating if you use it on a monster that derivers power normally from buffing, like a hobgoblin captain or a knight, and intelligence save is really rare too. drop it on a backline enemy and now your enemy's front line is protecting you from the enemy's back line :)