PDA

View Full Version : Multi class help

Chrollo
2017-11-16, 12:24 PM
Hello everyone, I am currently playing a dark sun Champaign. We were lv 12 when we got killed by dragon of tyr I was using a rogue lv 3 assasin/fighter lv 9 to do a descent dpr, but I feel like that was not enough. I was thinking of rogue/fighter/ paladin for my next multi class char can I get some input on dpr if possible. Or any other multi class that does above average dpr Thx in advance

PeteNutButter
2017-11-16, 12:44 PM
There are countless builds that are viable. You can make practically anything viable. I'd suggest that you start with a concept you like.

If you intend to have more than 2 classes, it can take some time for things to "come online," but that shouldn't be an issue if you are starting at higher level.

Chrollo
2017-11-16, 01:41 PM
We start at lv 9 because a party member was left alive on a different place of the map. So I was thinking of rogue3/figther3/paladin3 and keep going from there. I was thinking of the dmg side, rogue has sneak atk,fighter has manouvers +action surge +for paladin smite

lunaticfringe
2017-11-16, 02:18 PM
I feel like you're weakening yourself with a Triple class build.

Rogue 3/Fighter3/Pal 3 can add +2d6 Sneak Attack & +3d8 +2d8 on Smite.

A 9 Swashbuckler Rogue can add +5d6 Sneak Attack and with Magic Initiate: Booming Blade +1d8 every hit, +2d8 if Booming Blade's rider triggers. Plus has Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, and Panache.

PeteNutButter
2017-11-16, 03:22 PM
We start at lv 9 because a party member was left alive on a different place of the map. So I was thinking of rogue3/figther3/paladin3 and keep going from there. I was thinking of the dmg side, rogue has sneak atk,fighter has manouvers +action surge +for paladin smite

Yeah a ninth level character with 3 levels in each class is about as weak as you could get. You have no ASIs to increase your stats, so are stuck with no more than a +3 (unless rolling stats) and you lack extra attack.

Whatever you do, make sure to take at least one class to level 5 for extra attack. A single class paladin will dwarf a rogue/fighter/paladin at level 9, making it even worse at level 11.

QuintonBeck
2017-11-16, 03:47 PM
As others have already said, multiclassing isn't always the most direct or best route to power. If you want to just do lots of damage I would go Barb 5/Rogue 4 so you can attack twice each round with advantage (due to Reckless attack) and thus add Sneak Attack every round (barring being at disadvantage to start). You could add in 3-4 levels of Champion Fighter for a crit-fishing build or just stick with Barb/Rogue going forward. Rogue for the SA dice and Barb for the HP and if crit-fishing, brutal critical at Barb 9.

WickerNipple
2017-11-16, 05:36 PM

That is definitely a bad idea. Rogue 1/Fighter 2/Paladin 6 could work though. 2 fighting styles, action surge, lots of skills, expertise, sneak attack and then paladin chassis.

lunaticfringe
2017-11-16, 07:17 PM
Battlemaster 6/Assassin 3

Feats
Ritual Caster (Wizard): refluff them as Elemental Shamanism. You want Find Familiar, something that flies. You use it to give you Advantage.
Sharpshooter: +10 Damage, nuff said.
Instead of a 3rd Feat bump Dex +2

Archery Fighting Style.
Manuevers: Menacing Attack; Precision Attack (For using Sharpshooter); Whatever you want but choose stuff that isn't specifically labeled melee.

You can add more Assassin or Battlemaster as you see fit. Fighters get 3 Attacks lv 11, Assassin will add Sneak Attack Damage & other cool stuff. Carry a Rapier or Shortsword for when you get stuck in melee, you ain't no slouch with a blade.

Citan
2017-11-17, 12:49 PM
That is definitely a bad idea. Rogue 1/Fighter 2/Paladin 6 could work though. 2 fighting styles, action surge, lots of skills, expertise, sneak attack and then paladin chassis.
Hi OP!
I'll second this suggestion, which is very solid: grab two-weapon fighting style (Fighter) and Defense (Paladin) or Dueling + Defense depending on whether you go two-weapon (more chance to land Sneak Attack) or one-handed and shield (better defense).
I would advise against using your few spell slots on smite, they would be much better spent on Blessing yourself and allies.
Obviously this is better made as a DEX build (because of disadvantage notably of heavy armor), but can still work very well as a STR build (since you'd need 13 DEX anyways for multiclass, might as well go 14 for medium armor).

I think WickerNipple gave the nearly best split, my only change would be rather Rogue 2 instead of Fighter 2, simply because Action Surge is one per short rest, while Dash/Disengage as a bonus action from Cunning Action is as often as you want, and that may prove extremely precious on a melee martial.
Except if you go Devotion Paladin, which would benefit greatly from Action Surge (so you can activate Sacred Weapon and still get full turn on the big fights).
Otherwise, definitely Rogue 2. ;)