PDA

View Full Version : Turning enemies into Yo-yos (Warlock Edition)

Foff
2017-11-16, 01:23 PM
So I'm reading the new (old for UA readers) warlock invocation, Grasp of Hadar and an idea popped into my head

let's say that i'm concentrating on something like cloud of daggers and at the start of my turn an enemy is inside its aura of effect

let's say i'm lvl 5 and i hit him with both my EB attacks

let's say i have both grasp of hadar and repelling blast

could I move him outside of the aoe with either grasp or repelling and then pull/push him inside it again for bonus damage?

Dudewithknives
2017-11-16, 01:28 PM
So I'm reading the new (old for UA readers) warlock invocation, Grasp of Hadar and an idea popped into my head

let's say that i'm concentrating on something like cloud of daggers and at the start of my turn an enemy is inside its aura of effect

could I move him outside of the aoe with either grasp or repelling and then pull/push him inside it again for bonus damage?

Yes, you could do that.

At later levels you can push multiple times if you wanted to, but the pull effect is once per turn, not once per hit.

Combined with things like spiked growth, cloud of whatever hurts, and more, this combo is quite deadly.

Also keep in mind that forced movement breaks grapples automatically, so if someone in your party gets grappled by something big and nasty it is just one hit with an EB away from auto freedom.

I am not sure that Grasp of Hadar is worth an invocation personally, maybe after level 7 when choices get slimmer.

dejarnjc
2017-11-16, 01:29 PM

I think it'll depend on the spell. For Cloud of Daggers, the most you can do to a character in a turn is two triggering events of the damage.
#1) If they start their turn in the cloud's area
#2) The FIRST time they enter into the cloud's area

So assuming you have an enemy whom starts in the cloud's area, then I'd say it's fine to knock em out and drag em back in for the additional damage.