PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine/Retaliation build ideas

Degwerks
2017-11-16, 04:17 PM
So I know that this type of build has been talked about before, where the enemy takes damage from attacking you. I know that there is a newer spell in Xanathars called Shadows of Moril or something. I am very interested in how it works. From what I've seen in a summary of it, concentration and enemy takes damage when attacking you.

How does that spell function? Is it worth the spell slot? Would you be wasting slots to use that with Armor of Agathys and Hellish Rebuke? What other abilities are out there besides Cloak of Flies and Fire Shield that can be combined with the new Shadow of Moril spell?

Given that you'd need a few rounds of set up time to get it done, is it even feasible for damage dealing?

Ventruenox
2017-11-16, 04:53 PM
4th level Warlock Necromancy spell, VSM Components, 1 Action, Range: self, Concentration 1 Minute.

Dims light by 1 category within 10', resistence to Radiant damage, deals 2d8 Necrotic damage when hit by an attack within 10'.

To combine that with Armor of Agathys, you are looking at dumping both Warlock slots (assuming lvl4 slots) in one battle for 22-36 damage each time you are hit. Not the most resource efficient use of spells. If you have a way to get the lvl4 Wizard spell Fire Shield active on you somehow, you will only add 2d8 to that total.

The optimal thorns build still isn't ready with the available mechanics.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-16, 05:00 PM
Do you have a friend?

Moon druid with Sentinel, Wolf Barbarian with Mounted Combatant riding him in large creature form. Both have advantage on all attacks. If anyone attacks the druid, the barbarian can redirect the attack to himself. If anyone within 5' attacks the barbarian, the druid can use his reaction to attack them with advantage.

The druid, being a healer, can restore the barbarian to full HP after combat.

You can also burn both spell slots on the two spells and do this on your warlock. If you do, consider resilient con and toughness.

That's the most effective thorns build I know of.

Degwerks
2017-11-16, 05:03 PM
4th level Warlock Necromancy spell, VSM Components, 1 Action, Range: self, Concentration 1 Minute.

Dims light by 1 category within 10', resistence to Radiant damage, deals 2d8 Necrotic damage when hit by an attack within 10'.

To combine that with Armor of Agathys, you are looking at dumping both Warlock slots (assuming lvl4 slots) in one battle for 22-36 damage each time you are hit. Not the most resource efficient use of spells. If you have a way to get the lvl4 Wizard spell Fire Shield active on you somehow, you will only add 2d8 to that total.

The optimal thorns build still isn't ready with the available mechanics.

Yeah... that doesn't seem worth the effort at all. Necrotic damage as well.