PDA

View Full Version : Character Help: How Far Must One Gish? (ToA)

Waterdeep Merch
2017-11-16, 10:12 PM
I'm in a Tomb of Annihilation game where I've decided to play an Eldritch Knight. I took the Ritual Caster (Wizard) feat, because we have no other arcane casters in the party. So far it's worked pretty well. Our party is extremely melee-heavy, with a Wolf Totem Barbarian acting as linchpin for some righteous alpha strikes. We kill zombies dead.

Originally I planned on staying an EK all the way to the likely conclusion of the game at level 11. But now, here's Xanathar's with War Wizard. And Arcane Deflection has me staring hungrily at it. AD seems to annoy a lot of people because of its anti-synergies with a primary spellcaster, but on an EK? +2 AC/+4 to a saving throw once every turn, forever? Can I sign for it in blood?

Once I get the book, I'll get one last chance to completely rebuild my character when I hit level 5. I'm thinking of dropping Ritual Caster, picking up War Caster, and replacing two of those five levels with War Wizard to get that delicious AD. After that I'll certainly return to Fighter for at least two more levels to get Extra Attack, but herein lies my dilemma-

After I have already drank deep of the arcane well, should I then return to it? Guessing that we'll end at level 11, that would make me a Fighter 5/Wizard 6. I'd net a lot of arcane power this way. With Xan's, I could get some serious melee buffs out of it, taking advantage of my godlike concentration saves and excellent AC.

Or should I shun the dark side, before it forever controls my destiny? As a Fighter 9/Wizard 2, Indomitable, an extra ASI/feat, and War Magic will await should I not abandon the way of the sword. Though I will likely need to keep/re-pick Ritual Caster (Wizard) to help the party out.

Keeping in mind that I am in a melee berserker party and am also the sole arcane caster, what would you do?