PDA

View Full Version : Humiliatrix - a game of 'humiliation.'

Sir Brett Nortj
2017-11-17, 03:44 AM
I have been toying with this idea for a game since 2010, and, now feel it is the right time to let other's see it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MP939yAtoJAh3U4xrShsiIAcLh8VKEO3/view?usp=sharing

Please, especially noobs, tell me what you think?

noob
2017-11-17, 03:52 AM
I think that after reading the few first lines of the document I am 100% sure I do not want to read it fully nor evaluate it.
I just run away from it as quickly as possible.
ps: avoid saying my name if you do not want to see me barging in(and especially do not ask me specifically to say what I think).

Aniikinis
2017-11-17, 07:05 AM
Yeah, this game seems extremely pompous on first glance and very presumptive over the kinds of people who play these sorts of games. But, I can't actually review something that I can't see the mechanics for.

Also: "There is no satanism in these games." Is this really still a problem? I haven't heard this sort of stuff since I was learning about christian revivalism in the late 60s-80s.

Lalliman
2017-11-17, 07:12 AM
I feel severely confused reading this. For one, I've finished the document and I still can't really picture how the game would go. The GM sets a scene, then the players roleplay within that scene. Ok, but the goal is to make other players leave the room? How? For most of the example scenarios you presented, I can't really picture a logical series of actions that would lead to that. It seems to me that the game would grind to a stand-still because everyone participating joined the game with the knowledge that they would lose if they leave. So anyone skittish enough to leave out of embarrassment probably isn't participating to begin with? I just don't really understand how it would function.

That aside, I have to be frank and say that this whole thing is really patronising. You address the women that this is aimed towards as if they would naturally have no idea what a roleplaying game is, as if they couldn't possibly be interested in the same things men are, and as if you know what they need better than they themselves do. Talking down to women as if they need your help to understand the "testosterone inspired games of men" isn't a great way to actually appeal to them.

You also insult the entire roleplaying community by taking one aspect of roleplaying games (the violence), exaggerating it and acting like everyone plays them that way and you're the only one who knows better than that.

Lastly, based on the title of the game, the attention you give to flirting and kissing as example themes, and just the general tone of the piece, I suspect that this project has more to do with realising some sexual fantasy of your own than with making a roleplaying game accessible to women. Which is honestly fine: if you want to make a game focused around people embarrassing each other with erotic themes, there's an audience for that. (More so on Literotica or F-list than here.) But don't pretend like the game is something else than it actually is.

(As a side note, you should spell check some more before you submit. There's a lot of sloppy typos like "cuold" and "callign". Word can pick these out for you if you pay attention to the red squigglies.)

Sir Brett Nortj
2017-11-17, 07:34 AM
I feel severely confused reading this. For one, I've finished the document and I still can't really picture how the game would go. The GM sets a scene, then the players roleplay within that scene. Ok, but the goal is to make other players leave the room? How? For most of the example scenarios you presented, I can't really picture a logical series of actions that would lead to that. It seems to me that the game would grind to a stand-still because everyone participating joined the game with the knowledge that they would lose if they leave. So anyone skittish enough to leave out of embarrassment probably isn't participating to begin with? I just don't really understand how it would function.

That aside, I have to be frank and say that this whole thing is really patronising. You address the women that this is aimed towards as if they would naturally have no idea what a roleplaying game is, as if they couldn't possibly be interested in the same things men are, and as if you know what they need better than they themselves do. Talking down to women as if they need your help to understand the "testosterone inspired games of men" isn't a great way to actually appeal to them.

You also insult the entire roleplaying community by taking one aspect of roleplaying games (the violence), exaggerating it and acting like everyone plays them that way and you're the only one who knows better than that.

Lastly, based on the title of the game, the attention you give to flirting and kissing as example themes, and just the general tone of the piece, I suspect that this project has more to do with realising some sexual fantasy of your own than with making a roleplaying game accessible to women. Which is honestly fine: if you want to make a game focused around people embarrassing each other with erotic themes, there's an audience for that. (More so on Literotica or F-list than here.) But don't pretend like the game is something else than it actually is.

(As a side note, you should spell check some more before you submit. There's a lot of sloppy typos like "cuold" and "callign". Word can pick these out for you if you pay attention to the red squigglies.)

This game is not for women thrust into a male gaming world of guns and magic, it is men thrust into a woman's world of society and norms they would not otherwise think about, or, do you socialize talking about life, as a man, or sport and academics?

It is also a game for pure noobs, not the women on this forum. This is supposed to be a grass roots harvesting of naughty women, and, which woman doesn't Honestly want to be a bit naughty? Maybe teen girls would like to play it?

Sir Brett Nortj
2017-11-17, 07:35 AM
Yeah, this game seems extremely pompous on first glance and very presumptive over the kinds of people who play these sorts of games. But, I can't actually review something that I can't see the mechanics for.

Also: "There is no satanism in these games." Is this really still a problem? I haven't heard this sort of stuff since I was learning about christian revivalism in the late 60s-80s.

Some people new to role playing regard this Satanism aspect as being that the Americans hate the Birtish because of the war of independence. It is commonly associated, yes?

Aniikinis
2017-11-17, 08:15 AM
This game is not for women thrust into a male gaming world of guns and magic, it is men thrust into a woman's world of society and norms they would not otherwise think about, or, do you socialize talking about life, as a man, or sport and academics?

...Un quoi? That makes no sense. I've met many women that enjoy the typical Conan-esque romp through Fantasyland. I've met men who enjoy a game of political intrigue or societal competition or games about rocking out as a party of travelling bards. The tone of the document is very patronizing and you've brought out a strawman argument. People are vastly complex beings with different ideals, morals, and virtues. I, personally, hate sports, most academic categories bore me to death, and life as a man is surprisingly hard, but I don't complain about it. Not to mention that I've seen no way for actions to be resolved, nor can I see a reason to eliminate players.

It is also a game for pure noobs, not the women on this forum.

That doesn't matter. All games have some sorts of mechanics, no matter how rules light a game is.

This is supposed to be a grass roots harvesting of naughty women, and, which woman doesn't Honestly want to be a bit naughty? Maybe teen girls would like to play it?

Any game can be used for "naughty fun". There are entire games built around that function, from FATAL on one end to Maid RPG on the other. That doesn't matter, except from a design perspective. What game style are you trying to promote with this game, exactly?

Some people new to role playing regard this Satanism aspect as being that the Americans hate the British because of the war of independence (sic).

Firstly, that is not at all what Satanism is. Secondly, Americans do not hate the British at all, any that do either have only met chavs or are white trash who don't associate with people across the world. Third, the only reason that fundamentalists claimed that roleplaying games were "satanic tools of the devil" was because of the fact that one could consort with demons, devils, pagan gods, and overtly Evil (yes, Big E Evil) forces within the content of the game without immediate damnation whilst doing so from the Christian God (among other things of course).

It is commonly associated, yes?

Not that I have ever noticed. And I have been playing since I was very young, and I have moved around a lot in my life.

Westhart
2017-11-17, 08:51 AM

It is also a game for pure noobs, not the women on this forum. This is supposed to be a grass roots harvesting of naughty women, and, which woman doesn't Honestly want to be a bit naughty? Maybe teen girls would like to play it?

To avoid flaming just going to say you should not generalize nearly so much :smallannoyed:.

2017-11-17, 09:32 AM
The last system I saw that was this upfront and understanding of what it was was FATAL. Guess what else is has in common with FATAL?

Edit: actually that's not fair. FATAL had actual mechanics, a couple of which were even not entirely awful ideas.

Lalliman
2017-11-17, 09:43 AM

Your views of men and women are unrealistically polarised, my friend. You may have good intentions, but you're stereotyping both sides big time. Your assumption that every woman wants to be a bit naughty stands testament to that.

I don't know where you're from or how old you are, so maybe your culture is used to having greater gender polarisation than ours. But you'd be more successful if you set your cultural expectations aside and marketed this idea towards "people who like social interaction games" instead of "women who like stereotypical women things". Your current approach just doesn't inspire a lot of sympathy.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-17, 06:31 PM
You've given us a bog-standard "what's an RPG" introduction, distinguished only by the shockingly patronizing tone and heavily sexist overtones and nothing else. There isn't even the skeleton of a free-form game buried in here.

Step back, strip out all the fluff text. What are you actually trying to do, here?

Jormengand
2017-11-17, 06:56 PM
Sometimes, when something is absolutely shockingly awful, my mind simply refuses to keep reading it. Even FATAL doesn't often trigger this, but this? This does. All I can glean from it is a kind of casual sexism and maybe some kind of weird stereotypical-straight-man desire to see women be overtly sexual at each other while also wanting to seduce them. At no point in what little my mind could bear to process did I read anything that even remotely approached evidence of proficiency with game design, romance, or even the English language.

sengmeng
2017-11-17, 07:19 PM
You've thought about this for 7 years and have no mechanics I can discern. I try not to discourage people or ever tell them to give up, but no, I can't recommend putting any more effort or thought into this. There are entire forums and sites dedicated to sexual roleplay who get by just fine without your document. I suggest you go to them and just be honest about what you want instead of trying to pull in vulnerable women on a gaming website.

JoshuaZ
2017-11-18, 05:54 PM
He seems to not be posting any more, so he's functionally left the forum. Does that mean the other people in the thread won?

Eldan
2017-11-18, 06:31 PM
Wow. I mean, the title already made me want to bolt, but then I read on. I managed five lives before going "Is he kidding?" and then coming to read more reactions here.

The Glyphstone
2017-11-18, 07:07 PM
I don't think I have ever seen someone try to mansplain how RPGs work before.

JNAProductions
2017-11-19, 03:03 PM
Having not read the link in the OP... Is it worth it for a laugh? Or no?

Jormengand
2017-11-19, 03:56 PM
Having not read the link in the OP... Is it worth it for a laugh? Or no?

You don't strike me as the kinda guy who enjoys being looked down on by guys trying to sleep with you, so I'd say no.