PDA

View Full Version : Level 3 Swashbuckler progression help.

Endruin
2017-11-17, 12:26 PM
Hello all,

I'm currently playing though ToA with some friends, it's a little bit by the book and a little make it up as you go (we get off task alot).

I'm currently a level 3 Rogue Swashbuckler. Working on how to level as we get to 4.

My main stats are 11 Str - 16 Dex - 17 Con - 11 Int - 13 Wis - 16 Cha (we rolled stats)

My group is Paladin (devotion, GWF), Sorcerer (dragon fire), Ranger (hunter archer), Monk (shadow), Cleric (life, archer), then me Rogue (swashy, twf ((Currently).

I had planned on doing the Battlemaster/Swashbuckler build... thinking we would get to 11 and running a 6/5 split. With the release of the new content the College of Swords looked like it could continue to help in the skills department and still have some combat helpfulness. But am afraid of getting too far behind our team.

I guess I'm afraid of getting behind, but I also know that ToA is difficult, so picking up some utility spells to help the team might not be a bad idea.

Hopefully this is the place for this kind of discussion, I hate overthinking things and could use some outside ideas to help me work though my madness!

Thank You,
End

Specter
2017-11-17, 02:07 PM
First stick to 5 for the ASI in DEX and Uncanny Dodge, whuch will save you repeatedly. After that, multiclass. If you want more damage, Fighter, if more support, Bard.

Eradis
2017-11-17, 02:13 PM
I haven't played Tomb of Annihilation, nor a Swashbuckler before, but the general rule that seems to fit with me so far in any game I run is that most builds end up working as long as you find a way to work around your weaknesses. Of course there are some that need more workaround. For example the Bard in the last 3.5 edition game that I played in was running around with a spear (which he was not proficient with) and a minus 1 to hit and for the damage since he had a big ol' 8 to his strength bonus. He wasn't useless in fights as long as his focus was supporting the group by any means (fetching a sword, boosting to-hit and damage, creating a diversion, etc.), but in a dual against a goblin, well... It's 2 nothing for the goblins.

I know this answer is of no help at all for optimization whatsoever, but honestly, creativity is the best tool in any's player arsenal. You can create havoc even with the worst character possible by thinking outside the box (to an extend). On another note, this reply bumped up the thread.

Good luck!

P.S.: Are you enjoying your Swashbuckler so far? Because if you really do, they might not be a need to multi-class if you want to be sure to stay competent stat-wise and not want to overthink too much.

Endruin
2017-11-17, 02:23 PM
First stick to 5 for the ASI in DEX and Uncanny Dodge, whuch will save you repeatedly. After that, multiclass. If you want more damage, Fighter, if more support, Bard.

That seems like the smartest route for sure. Two more levels to think about multi classing is going to drive me insane. Gloom Stalker looks cool too, and Hexblade...oh no it's begun!

Thanks for the feed back

Endruin
2017-11-17, 02:26 PM
I haven't played Tomb of Annihilation, nor a Swashbuckler before, but the general rule that seems to fit with me so far in any game I run is that most builds end up working as long as you find a way to work around your weaknesses. Of course there are some that need more workaround. For example the Bard in the last 3.5 edition game that I played in was running around with a spear (which he was not proficient with) and a minus 1 to hit and for the damage since he had a big ol' 8 to his strength bonus. He wasn't useless in fights as long as his focus was supporting the group by any means (fetching a sword, boosting to-hit and damage, creating a diversion, etc.), but in a dual against a goblin, well... It's 2 nothing for the goblins.

I know this answer is of no help at all for optimization whatsoever, but honestly, creativity is the best tool in any's player arsenal. You can create havoc even with the worst character possible by thinking outside the box (to an extend). On another note, this reply bumped up the thread.

Good luck!

P.S.: Are you enjoying your Swashbuckler so far? Because if you really do, they might not be a need to multi-class if you want to be sure to stay competent stat-wise and not want to overthink too much.

So far I love the Cha bonus to initiative, and for some reason our team has taken a liking to pit fighting and arena battles. The time I got to break off from the team and attack the enemy archer shooting us, I was very happy to get a sneak attack with out any allies around. It's been a lot of fun.

Eradis
2017-11-17, 03:31 PM
So far I love the Cha bonus to initiative, and for some reason our team has taken a liking to pit fighting and arena battles. The time I got to break off from the team and attack the enemy archer shooting us, I was very happy to get a sneak attack with out any allies around. It's been a lot of fun.

Just to put it out there, there are times where too much versatility can bring a character down. Even if overall you get "stronger" and kind of a Jack of All Trades, if the drawback is that your strong suit becomes too mundane or too close to average and it was what made your character enjoyable, it might not be worth the rest. I remember a time where a new book came out while we were playing the 4th, and I agreed to switch to a Beast Master instead of sticking to my classic Ranger. I had to let go of my bow to keep in pace with my striker role, and it was all downhill from there. The game was mostly combat based, so I didn't have much opportunity to rp that beast companion to make it worth it.

Endruin
2017-11-17, 05:01 PM
Just to put it out there, there are times where too much versatility can bring a character down. Even if overall you get "stronger" and kind of a Jack of All Trades, if the drawback is that your strong suit becomes too mundane or too close to average and it was what made your character enjoyable, it might not be worth the rest. I remember a time where a new book came out while we were playing the 4th, and I agreed to switch to a Beast Master instead of sticking to my classic Ranger. I had to let go of my bow to keep in pace with my striker role, and it was all downhill from there. The game was mostly combat based, so I didn't have much opportunity to rp that beast companion to make it worth it.

That's a great point, when you asked about my favorite part it was me fighting a guy, not picking locks, or making a knowledge check. Plus trying to do it all I could really step on my team mates toes. Thanks.