PDA

View Full Version : Weiss-2 IC

Hyperbolic sine
2017-11-17, 12:32 PM
It has been about a year since the Collapse, and life aboard the Dirac has long started feeling "normal"; it has not been a journey without its fair share of unrest and troubles, but - with a disciplined crew and two mercenary squads helping to keep civilians (and more importantly, each other) in check - nothing particularly big or, given the circumstances, surprising. Moreover, although the Weiss star had been clearly visible from the start, all people could tell was that the ship was getting closer; until planets would came into view, no one knew exactly when it would reach its destination.

Well, almost no one: although it hadn't been possible to do so with a lot of precision, an estimated time of arrival to Weiss-2 had been determined; it wasn't made public, so as to minimise the risk of people starting to disregard those limitations that allowed for self-sufficiency, but a few select people - those who were told to prepare for hostilities, you among them - know it is now only a matter of, at most, a couple weeks...and even less to reach the Gate.

Arthur

The engine room: the Dirac's pulsing heart; as you stroll through, you are assaulted by a cacophony of beeps, hisses and hums of various pitches - and that's with the thrust engines not running (movement in a frictionless environment has its perks).

"Officer!" you hear calling behind you, and you turn to find Chief Engineer Romero towering over you. He salutes you with the multitool he has currently attached to his wrist (his right arm is cybernetic), then grins and adds "Doing an inspection round? You're not gonna find any alcohol here."

Your position as Relations and Welfare Officers has been set up so that only the Captain and the XO would have authority over you, and that you would only have authority over the crewmen: that makes you basically the same rank as Romero (who is third in the chain of command, by the way).

It's kind of an open secret that he enjoys a drink of two from time to time (i.e. not really that rarely, considering the difficulty of obtaining some), but since the crew is technically banned from alcohol consumption, you've had a few customary chats to, you know, keep up the image.

You have barely the time to answer, when a siren blares and the AI's voice resounds though the comm system: "Attention all stations. Impose EMCON alpha. I repeat, impose EMCON alpha."

The highest level of emission control: on spaceships, it does not include only active scans but also heat radiation. Since it has to be irradiated only in a specific direction or, at worst, not irradiated at all, reduced power generation is a vital component of EMCON alpha protocols on spaceships - however, reduced power also means more vulnerability and less combat readiness, so it's only used when the ship wants to avoid a fight, not run into it.

The Dirac must have gone into hiding...but from what?

"Huh? Oh, hell." Romero curses, then runs to fiddle with a control panel while bellowing "Alright guys, get the auxiliary heat sinks online! Stat!" It seems like you completely disappeared from his radar.

"Officer Norway, the captain requests your presence on the bridge." the nearest speaker informs you.

"This is not a drill, Matthews! If that's not burning hot in 30 seconds, I'll use it to fry your d**k on when it finally does!"

"I have archived the threat, Officer Norway, in case ensign Matthews reports to medbay with damage to his genitalia".

Jack

The Dirac is a warship, but it has windows (made of transparent polymer, of course, not glass): more were installed toghether with the civilian quarters, but it had some even before - for psychological welfare reasons. You are currently in a small, quiet room with one of those preexisting windows, and one whose protective forcefield you could deactivate autonomously: the perfect spot to stargaze in tranquility and without forcefield-induced distortions.

Suddenly, the (relative) silence is broken by a warning sound played through the comm system, followed by the ship's AI announcing "Attention all stations. Impose EMCON alpha. I repeat, impose EMCON alpha." and the window's emergency shutter closing immediately.

Refer to Arthur's spoiler.

Then, the room's lights turn on, though definitely dimmer than normal, and the speakers crack again. "Mr. Albrooke, the captain requests your presence on the bridge."

Jake

The harrowing cries of an infant echo through the medbay: a 5 month old baby whom you are currently holding, and that just received an injection from the Dirac's most beloved medical officer ever (that refused to let the mother hold him, because "I need a steady hold, not the shakes of an emotional mother").

"Kid, return the child to Ms. Evans." he says (well, orders), before turning to the young and worried woman besides you. "The fever should be down by this evening. Now take him to bother someone else's ears."

She flatly ignores the last comment, gently rocking her son to calm him down. "Thank you, Dr. Smythe. I'll come back tomorrow if he doesn't get better."

Laura Evans, 25 y.o., was injured during the Collapse, which happened not long after she discovered she was pregnant. Dr. Smythe managed to save both her and the baby, and not easily...but, although he complained the whole time and brought up abortion more than once, he did it: that's why she's one of the very, very few people that think that, under his attitude, there's actually a caring person.

As a sidenote, little Paul Evans is kind of a star on the Dirac. He's the first child to be born in deep space, after all.

"If you really must..." he replied, unenthusiastic. "And it's St. John Smythe."

Then, the lights suddenly dimmed. "Hello everyone, this is your captain speaking." Captain Parikh's voice said through the speakers. "I'm sure you have noticed power being cut or reduced just now: please don't panic, as this is absolutely normal: after a year of continual operation, our generators have to undergo a maintenance cycle. On behalf of all the crew, I apologise for the inconvenience."

Hmm...that doesn't sound right. Unless someone reaklly screwed up, it shouldn't have been something unplanned.

Expertise (Military) spoiler becomes DC 15.
Hmm...is she really telling the truth?

This really seems more like EMCON. Refer to Arthur's spoiler.

"Oh. I was scared there for a moment...I hope they'll be done soon. Well, thank you again. Jake. Dr. Smythe." Laura said, and walked out.

"St. John Smythe."

"Dr. Smythe, Mr. Shawholme. The captain requests your presence on the bridge." the AI chimed in.

*sigh* "What now?" he muttered, raising from his chair.

Kelly

It's just about 4 pm, but the kitchen is bustling with activity: when there are hundreds of mouths to feed, there is hardly any pause, and those who want to help are always welcome. Especially if it's you, since you're the greatest cook the Dirac has ever seen.

You are slicing and dicing some vegetables, when suddenly the lights dim and all appliances, including cookers (which are all induction cookers - open flames are a thing of the past), switch off. Curses start to fly around, then the speakers crackle.

"Hello everyone, this is your captain speaking. I'm sure you have noticed power being cut or reduced just now: please don't panic, as this is absolutely normal: after a year of continual operation, our generators have to undergo a maintenance cycle. On behalf of all the crew, I apologise for the inconvenience."

Hmm...that doesn't sound right. Unless someone really screwed up, it shouldn't have been something unplanned.

Hmm...is she really telling the truth? The crew doesn't really seem convinced, it might be just a cover story.

You hear a couple crewmen whispering about EMCON, before being promptly silenced by the others.

This really seems more like EMCON. Refer to Arthur's spoiler.

"Hey, what does this mean? What the hell are we going to eat?" a man angrily asked a crewman.

"Uh...I don't really know what to say, sir. Canned food, maybe?"

"Are you making fun of me?"

"Miss Albion, the captain requests your presence on the bridge." the AI tells you.

Lisa & Mason

Both of you are currently in Hangar 4, home to Mason's own X-68 mech and a giant bundle of death and destruction known as Meat Grinder. You are working on the latter: Lisa had an idea that could enhance the speed of the chainsaw glove by 4.8%, if her calculations were right, and what's better than actually test it? The answer is nothing, although the bunch of tubesteel (steel reinforced with carbon nanotubes) sheets lying on the floor in pieces might disagree - also, it worked!

"I am...thankful! The battlefield will be soaked with...innards juice!"

Then, a warning goes off from the speakers, followed by an announcement: "Attention all stations. Impose EMCON alpha. I repeat, impose EMCON alpha."

A few seconds after that, all the lights turn off - except for one that remains barely bright enough for you too see.

"Miss Burnell, Mr. Jones. the captain requests your presence on the bridge."

Refer to Arthur's spoiler.

"Is it...kill time?" Meat Grinder asked, hopeful.

"The ship is not undergoing preparations for active combat"

:-(

--------------------------------

Everyone

Once you enter the bridge, you are greeted by a bunch of people wearing grave expressions and 3D projection of...something? It's very poor resolution - they must have zoomed the heck out of it - but you can make out something that looks like a large ring with a missing section.

Well, big ring in space...it has to be the Gate.
And it seems kind of...ovverrun by vines?

However, that is not all. Besides the ring, the projection shows another structure, sort of bullet shaped.

It seems like the hull is made of some kind of interlocked plates, rather than being smooth.
The bullet shape suggests a spaceship more than a space station.
Well, the interstellar Gate should be about three miles of radius, and that structure is almost as wide...if that's the case, the only thing you can compare it to is the FSS Ares, the UPF's one-of-a-kind superdreadnought. (PL 25!)
And you've certainly never heard of a starship made with interlocking plates. It doesn't make sense to build them that way.

Expertise (Popular Culture) check becomes DC 30.
You know, that kind of reminds you of some fictional spaceships you found in various games, movies and/or animes. Bioships, to be precise.

Quellian-dyrae
2017-11-17, 01:54 PM
Kelly took two seconds to finish chopping up her current vegetables (she's a chef who comes from a long line of samurai; she slices vegetables like no one's business) as the cursing and questions started. The crew didn't seem entirely convinced in what the captain had said, which she took for its informative value, but it wasn't like she was going to do anything about that. If it was something else, then the cover story was almost certainly to keep people from panicking. Which of course made her a bit concerned about what the actual problem might have been, if there was one.

"Hey, what does this mean? What the hell are we going to eat?" a man angrily asked a crewman.

"Uh...I don't really know what to say, sir. Canned food, maybe?"

"Do not panic," Kelly said, with just a bit of amusement in her voice. Although truth was, ever since the Collapse, Kelly had had to get good at putting on a brave face and at least pretending to have a clear head in emergencies. Although, fun fact, that wasn't really something you could pretend to do without actually, you know, doing it. "Switch all the currently finished dishes for next round back into the cookers. The residual heat should still be enough to warm them back up, and we'll just call the next group in early. We're going to use the vegetables for salads instead of stews. The meat's been cooking for a while, it should be cooked through, just not fall-apart-tender yet. Someone go down to engineering and get a couple of their welding torches. Two seconds from a distance of seventy-five centimeters, that will give it a good sear and the effects of charring the broth to the meat should be positive. As long as the freezers get turned back on in the next six hours the broth will keep for another day. We'll save the noodles for another time and serve with bread instead. GO."

She herself was reaching for some more vegetables when the AI requested her presence. Kelly gritted her teeth a bit, she had a meal to save, but captain's orders took priority. So she took off her "I Cook With Rocket Fuel" apron, handing it to "Mr. Canned Food" with the gravity of an old warrior passing down the family's sword. "Two seconds. Seventy-five centimeters," she told him again, firmly, and then headed for the bridge.

...She was halfway there when she put together the evidence of the strange power outage, the crew's doubts of the explanation, and the fact that she had been called to the bridge and realized that this probably meant something serious was going on. Something that would probably be dangerous.

Something that would call for mecha.

Kelly's heart started pounding with anxious worry as she picked up her pace even though what she (also her basic human decency) really wanted was to run in a different direction entirely.

Expertise (Cooking) to SAVE DINNER! [roll0]. I suppose it's as good as I can expect for not being there to oversee it directly

Kelly eyed the...thingamabob with the vines and the whatsit kinda uncomprehendingly for a couple moments, before asking, "Um, what are we looking at?" She was a little disappointed in herself for needing to ask. Kyle would know, she thought.

Llyarden
2017-11-17, 06:20 PM
From a medical standpoint, Jake wasn't much of a physician, even after a year's on-the-job training. One thing he did have going for him that Smythe hadn't managed, though, was a bedside manner, so he gave Laura (and Paul, not that the latter was likely to notice) his best warm, reassuring smile as he handed the woman her child back.

He kept his friendly smile up until the doors slid shut behind Laura. He knew enough about the ship to know that a yearly maintenance would have been warned of well in advance, and his suspicions were proved correct when Dr Smythe was summoned to the bridge. So was he, which he wasn't expecting quite as much. "Only one way to find out," he pointed out, a touch curtly, turning and walking out the door without any particular care for walking in pace with Smythe. Grateful as he was for Smythe's keeping his secret, and appreciative (as most of the crew were) for his medical expertise, he found the good doctor's manner somewhat annoying.

Once they were on the bridge, he somewhat naturally gravitated towards Kelly. He'd seen the other civilian-slash-mecha-pilots that were present around the place, and was at least on vaguely speaking terms with them, but except for Kelly and Lisa he didn't particularly know them. Also it meant that he had a convenient excuse to move away from Smythe without seeming overly rude, so there was that.

There was probably a proper protocol for who was meant to speak when, but the rules and regulations that didn't seem to serve much of a purpose except make sure everyone knew who was in charge hadn't been something Jake had studied avidly. "I'd say," he answered Kelly, "that's the Gate...and a really bloody big ship that isn't one of ours."

"I'm guessing that's why we're on low power," he added, in case there was anyone there who had been in the civilian quarters and not picked up the strangeness of Cpt Parikh's message about the 'maintenance.' Not that he didn't think it was a good idea to not frighten the civilian passengers, but it was probably also a good idea for everyone on the bridge to know what was going on.

manwithaplan
2017-11-17, 07:01 PM
"If it is a ship, it's a ship of unusual craftsmanship," Mason drily commented, hands behind his back. He lifted one of them to point at several spots on the projection.

"There...and there also. The hull is made up of plates interlocked together."

He turned to Lisa.

"Why design it like that? Do you know?"

Dorni
2017-11-18, 01:28 AM
Lisa made a few quick adjustments and slammed Meatgrinder's left forearm configuration panel closed as the announcement blared over the Hangar's PA system. Her fingers flew over the nanite control interface she wore on the back of her wrist. "Its a good thing, too. I've finished with the work on the chainsaw, but I still need to re-enable and calibrate the forearm vibration dampeners to account for the change in angular velocity," She instructed hurridly.

"That'll have to wait till I get done on the bridge. If this turns into an alert, inform Kelly. Until I get those dampeners calibrated the chainsaw is going to rattle the cockpit."

Lisa stepped over to the engineer's terminal next to Meatgrinder's hangar space and flew from panel to panel, adding notes and recording her work with the speed of familiarity. She wore a small smile as she did; it was a good thing Meatgrinder wasn't equipped with any ballistic weapons. Satisfied with her log, she turned to hurry to the bridge and dismissed the partially finished upgrade from her mind. She was far more concerned with the decision to enter EMCON Alpha.

Have fun, QD :)

Lisa gave a start at Mason's question. She tore herself away from where she'd been crowding the projection and turned her glittering eyes on the rest of the assembly. "That isn't a UPF design. Theoretically the advantage of a design of interlocking components is modularity; sections and attach, detach, and be rearranged or replaced on the fly," she explained, picking up speed as she went.

"If the ship sustained damage it could simply shed the damaged sub-units and continue to function normally with the remaining sub-units. Its an extremely effective concept to design for in some instances, but you'd never design a capital ship like that. Too much interior space would be lost to modular linkages, you'd have massive redundancies, the variable configurations imposes constraints on energy generation and distribution, and it would be difficult to keep the ship intact for high-G-force maneuvers."

"But how are you not all excited right now? Don't you see what this means? We're looking at a starship not of UPF origin. We could be looking at alien life! And look at the Gate! See that missing section there? It looks like its been overrun by vines! Certain plants are known to be able to survive a vacuum for extended periods, Raphanus raphanistrum in particular, but survival isn't growth. To see something that can grow to that size while exposed to a vacuum, absolutely fascinating!"

Thokk_Smash
2017-11-18, 02:00 AM
Hobbling along with his cane, Arthur smiles at the Chief Engineer's proclamation. "Oh, Romero, you'll know when I'm on an inspection round," he says brightly, capping off the statement with a cackle that is more amusing than scary. Still, Romero would know not to take Arthur Norway exactly at his tone. Seeing as Romero has been smart about his habits, Arthur is happy to keep his actions confined to obligatory verbal slaps on the wrist.

The blaring of the alarm and the AI's words wipe the grin from Arthur's face right quick. EMCON alpha? Did they find something? He whips around, faster than one might think a man with a cane could. He stops just long enough to bark a laugh at the back-and-forth between Romero and the AI. "Don't get so hot under the collar, Chief!" he says with another cackling laugh. With that he begins to hustle through the ship toward the bridge, his cane seemingly forgotten for the moment.

He takes in the blurry picture with a fine eye. There is part of him, he can admit, that finds the situation exhilarating. A mystery! The Gate broken, and vines overrunning it! And yet...

"The key words there are 'missing section', Miss Burnell," he chimes in. His cane is in front of him, both hands resting on its head. "We seem to have found the source of our troubles this past year, our missing Gate. Something happened to destroy or separate a section. Something introduced unknown flora into the broken Gate. And there is something entirely foreign to us simply waiting beside the wreckage of humanity's link from Earth to here."

"As fascinating as so many unknowns are," and here his voice does indulge in a bit of agreement, "they also represent a potential danger to every life aboard this ship. Lives that we are charged with protecting. The situation is simply a bit too tense to allow much excitement."

DukeGod
2017-11-20, 08:43 PM
Jack went to the Bridge as requested. Frankly, ENCOM put him in a rather somber state of mind, he didn't even dare speak, as if a whisper could truly betray their location. Complete nonsense of course.

But he's there for the commentary that brings a wolfish grin to his face. Alien life. New designs. A new enemy to fight!

Damn the ship for going into ENCOM. They would try to avoid going into a fight

"Hmm. Surely that thing doesn't have sensors? Can't you go into the minimum necessary to at least start scanning. I don't think a decision should be reached with only what we see with our sight."

Hyperbolic sine
2017-11-27, 01:30 PM
"Hah! Are we supposed to entrust the ship's protection to someone whose first reaction is a childish 'wow, aliens'?" a slender woman in a lab coat, with flowing black hair and attractive features, snarked, haughty, at Lisa's words. Scientific Officer Kelsey Webb.

"Officer Webb, this is not -" one of the officers, a wiry readhead with a stern expression - Clinton Emerson, Vice Tactics Officer - started to rebuke her before Cpt. Parikh raised a hand to stop him. "If you have any complaints about Command's decisions, you are welcome to come to me with proof of your claims. After this meeting." she said firmly, then turned to you again.

"Hmpf."

"And no, Albrooke. Although I agree that this needs further investigation, we cannot rely on the off-chance that, whatever that is, it's unable to detect both active scans and heat sources; we have three hundreds civilians on board and only a railgun battery left as weaponry, engaging is not an option. I called you here so you could get an idea of what we'll be facing, not to have you go on a suicide run.

"Now. Yes, that's the Gate, or its wreck anyway. This is our current position, at a distance of 20'000 klicks." she continued, and the hologram changed.

........../
........./ Orbital plane
......./
....(.)...U0 Unidentified object, Gate
..../........c<= Dirac
.../
.o Weiss-2
/

(Not in scale. Also, the actual hologram looks waaaaaaaaaay better than this. :smallbiggrin:)

Considering the unknown amount of displacement during the Collapse and the fact that the only reference point for navigation was the Weiss star (which is, clearly, much larger than than the Gate itself), that's not a suprising amount.

"This is all so very interesting, Captain, but what am I here for?" Smythe abruptly asked, seemingly unfazed.

"AI, time left for thermal image processing?"

"7 seconds."

"..."

7 seconds later, the hologram changed back to show a red-blue colourscale version of the projection you first saw, and the increased contrast made something immediately apparent: the vines waved a sort of cage, or net, around the (clearly depowered, if someone had doubts) Gate - in the sense that they were pretty much evenly spaced and arranged.

You are pretty sure you're really looking at some sort of space vessel.

Although, that's one strange thermal profile for one: it's not really compatible with metallic hulls.

"You want me to confirm that thing around the Gate is a plant? All I can say is that it looks like something capable of processing light."

"...I see. Webb?"

"Yes, that's the same conclusion I reached."

Indeed: there's not really any point in sticking to normal criteria for classifying alien organisms - if it's an organism at all: with such a regular arrangement, it might as well be some sort of structure that just happens to resemble vines.

Quellian-dyrae
2017-11-29, 03:13 PM
Kelly gave Jake a little smile as he approached and a quiet, "Hey." She listened to the discussion, but frankly a lot of it was going over her head. So, alien ship, broken gate, vine cage.

The vine cage didn't seem like it could have occurred naturally, to her. Call it plausible that it was the work of the presumed aliens. That didn't necessarily mean they were threats, though. Looking at it from the other perspective, it absolutely made sense to secure an unknown gate. Except, it wasn't like the gate had just suddenly appeared; the original Weiss expedition had had to build it. If the planet were inhabited, and the inhabitants had a problem with that, wouldn't it have been resolved before it was finished? ...Maybe. End of the day, she was speculating.

She didn't know anything about the technical details of the situation, but... "Is it possible to communicate?
I mean, obviously they won't speak our language, but could we send some sort of...I don't know, mathematical pattern that other intelligent life could recognize and respond to in some way? Or what about the original expedition? Could we contact them? I mean,
without like...revealing ourselves if they're hostile, or whatever?" She did know enough to know that a broadcast could probably be picked up, but she thought maybe there might be ways to cloak it by, like, bouncing it off of stuff or whatever? She didn't know, she was an entertainer!

Llyarden
2017-11-29, 03:38 PM
"I mean..." Jake paused for a moment, briefly considered whether it would be more useful to let the actually qualified people discuss the weird vine thing, and then decided it probably didn't matter. "Last time I really studied plants was at school, but don't they normally need CO2 or something to do the whole photosynthesis thing, not just light? So unless it's leaking out of the Gate somehow, whatever that is can't be a plant, right?"

"Or, at least," he added, after a brief reflection, "it can't be something we would normally think of as a plant."

He paused for a few moments at Kelly's suggestion. "I'm...not sure that's a great idea," he said. "Even if we could hide ourselves and still signal somehow, like...imagine the roles were reversed, and our ship suddenly picked up a signal from somewhere that had an obvious pattern to it, but we couldn't understand it or figure out where it was coming from. I'm pretty sure 'freaking the heck out' would come before 'realising someone is trying to communicate,' and I don't think we want to be anywhere near that thing -" he waved a hand at the hologram, which wasn't a particularly useful thing to do when the giant alien ship wasn't projected on it any more "- if it starts freaking out."

It was, perhaps, somewhat debatable how much of his response was an honest contribution to the conversation and how much of it was based on the realisation that if they started signalling they probably wouldn't also send him (and the others) out in mechs to investigate.

Dorni
2017-12-03, 08:04 PM
Lisa's expression turned frosty at the Science Officer's rebuke, but she held her tongue. At Kelly and Jake's questioning, she shifted her attention back to the hologram. "That all assumes that we even have a medium in which to communicate. Putting aside the difficulty of overcoming a language barrier, the chances that they even use radio wave based communications technology at all are astronomical. They could have developed and moved on from that technology some time ago or utilize an alternative technology altogether. Both the ship's design and its thermal profile are incompatible with metallic construction. For all the data we have so far we could be dealing with a bioship."

"But as interesting as this data is so far, there's something missing. Have we detected any signs of the Gate's operators?"