PDA

View Full Version : Negative Energy Fireball

Pyredup
2007-08-18, 04:47 PM
A friend of mine told me about this spell and it sounds wonderful. However, I can't find the book it's in or any of the stats on it. Basically it's an AoE spell like fireball but it deals negative energy damage. Personally, this is wonderful for killing PCs in a crowd of undead because the negative energy will heal all my zombies. Does anyone remember enough about the spell to point me towards its source?

Thanks in advance

horseboy
2007-08-18, 05:07 PM
Energy substitution?

Amiria
2007-08-18, 05:12 PM
There was a spell named Negative Energy Burst in the 3.0 Tome of Blood book. But the damage was only 1d8 +1 per level or so.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-18, 05:13 PM
well, i dont think its an acutual spell, but this is really close to what he was talking about.

Uttercold Assault Necromancer (Wizard)
The ultimate goal is to cast spells with the Cold Subtype that do half negative energy damage, while you and all your undead minions are immune to cold and healed by negative energy damage. Basically, this is done with Energy Substitution[cold] (a prereq for Lord of the Uttercold) and the feat Lord of the Uttercold. Then you put up Walls of Fire(uttercold) and you and all your minions dance around in them like Homer Simpson at the American Embassy regaining all your hit points every round and inflicting real evocation-style damage on your enemies. It’s hilarious. You can burn lots of feats and be a blaster mage at high levels, or take Beckon the Frozen to get cold-subtyped undead with Summon Undead that you heal with uttercold, but the essential build is two feats (though you are required to be undead or take Tomb-tainrted Soul if you want in on the fun).

For people who like numbers, look at your favorite Evocation modified by a resonable amount of Sudden or Rod-based Metamagic(or even vanilla metamagic). Then imagine your cold-immune undead like Skeletons or cold-Subbed Zombies like Frost Giants taking 1/2th of that damage each round as healing. A simple thought exercise is the 10th level Wizard with a vanilla Empowered Cold-subbed Fireball: average damage to your enemies is 15d6 (52.5 points of damage), with a save for half, and an average of 26 points of healing for every one of your minions. Makes Inflict look like crap, right?

Now, lets play this excercise with a real blaster mage: A 12th level Sorcerer with the feats from Races of the Dragon that drop metamagic costs and speed metamagic and a Rod-Maximised, Twinned Fireball: a flat 120 points of damage with a save for half and a flat 60 points of healing. Thats not even counting a once per day Sudden Empower for an extra 10d6 (35 damage, save for half, and an extra 17 points of healing).

Even if you don't want to be a blaster mage or don't want to sling together complex battle plans involving Walls of Fire(uttercold) to heal your minions and hurt your enemies, the ability to cast a single Wall of Fire after every combat to heal all your minions and perhaps yourself is an invaluable Necromantic aid.

This is the link. Revised Necromacer Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=599129)

Irreverent Fool
2007-08-18, 05:18 PM
Energy substitution?

That doesn't quite work. With energy substitution one can only chose the basic energy types -- fire, electricity, cold, or acid.

Now, there may be something nasty in the BoVD or HoH, but what I think may work nicely is Energy Substitution: Cold with the Lord of the Uttercold from the Complete Arcane. Half the fireball's damage is negative, the other half is cold, and your undead minions are immune to cold and heal from the negative energy.

Energy Substitution does change the spell's type descriptor, doesn't it? Even if it doesn't, probably wouldn't be too difficult to get it HR'd so.

Sir Jason
2007-08-18, 05:19 PM
I think there might be a power about that in complete psi. Stygian burst on pillar or something... dont have my book, but I think I saw something like that. It was definetly a POWER though, so it might not be what your looking for.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-18, 05:20 PM
Hem-hem ^ :-)

tannish2
2007-08-18, 07:28 PM
well in libris mortis theres fell drain spell, a metamagic feat, which causes negative levels which i THINK heal undead, nto positive on that, also theres that somethingcold feat in i THINK complete arcane that does half cold have negative energy damage, and with that and energy substitution it would be a similar effect