PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about some Xanathar's content.

Syradin
2017-11-17, 09:26 PM
So after picking up a copy of Xanathar's a couple questions popped up.

1. Drow High Magic feat:
You learn the detect magic spell and can cast it at will, without expending a spell slot. You also learn levitate and dispel magic, each of which you can cast once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to cast those two spells in this way when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for all three spells.
My question is, because of the line "You regain the ability to cast those two spells in this way when you finish a long rest." If I am playing a wizard, can I use my spell slots to cast these spells? Could a bard or other Charisma based caster?

2. The create homunculus spell. Other than having a pet that you can communicate with telepathically anywhere while on the same plane of existence, I don't see the point of this being a 6th level spell. Also how does this spell interact with a necromancy wizard's 10th level ability that says your hit point maximum can't be reduced.

But on the whole, I am very pleased with Xanathar's Guide to Everything and I'm looking forward to using it in my games.

lunaticfringe
2017-11-17, 09:34 PM
Since it has the phrase 'you learn' I would allow them to be cast using slots.

As far as the Homunculus I would rule you still give up HP because it's part of the magic of the spell and voluntary. I would float the Necro Ability to your Homunculus since it has your HP.

This is just how I would rule I gots no idea if it's official.

Temperjoke
2017-11-17, 09:54 PM
So after picking up a copy of Xanathar's a couple questions popped up.

1. Drow High Magic feat:
You learn the detect magic spell and can cast it at will, without expending a spell slot. You also learn levitate and dispel magic, each of which you can cast once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to cast those two spells in this way when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for all three spells.
My question is, because of the line "You regain the ability to cast those two spells in this way when you finish a long rest." If I am playing a wizard, can I use my spell slots to cast these spells? Could a bard or other Charisma based caster?

2. The create homunculus spell. Other than having a pet that you can communicate with telepathically anywhere while on the same plane of existence, I don't see the point of this being a 6th level spell. Also how does this spell interact with a necromancy wizard's 10th level ability that says your hit point maximum can't be reduced.

But on the whole, I am very pleased with Xanathar's Guide to Everything and I'm looking forward to using it in my games.

With the homunculus, you can see through it's eyes no matter how far you are as long as you're on the same plane of existence, which according to Crawford made it as strong as an always-on scrying spell, so it needed to be placed higher for that reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkU4hELM2Os&t=673s

Throne12
2017-11-18, 07:51 AM
With the homunculus, you can see through it's eyes no matter how far you are as long as you're on the same plane of existence, which according to Crawford made it as strong as an always-on scrying spell, so it needed to be placed higher for that reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkU4hELM2Os&t=673s

That's BS your not using your homunculus as a Pseudo scrying spell.

I was so excited for create homunculus then I read it and was very disappointed.

Temperjoke
2017-11-18, 10:15 AM

I was so excited for create homunculus then I read it and was very disappointed.

When they balance things, they have to look at how it can potentially be used, not just how it's likely to be used. So let's say they hadn't raised the spell cost of creating the homunculus, then when people figured out it could be used as a spy (remember it's tiny, no bigger than a squirrel according to the MM description), it would be abused, especially at lower levels when people couldn't cast scry. In addition, once you create your homunculus, you don't have to spend another spell slot on it, while with scry, you have to cast it each time.

Now, whether or not you'd use your homunculus that way is up to you, but once they identified the possibility, they have to balance to the best of their ability.

AnimusBane
2017-11-18, 04:29 PM
Doesn't this mean that find familiar should be a higher level than a 1st level ritual? Sure, it is limited to 100ft but it is always available.
The homonculous cannot even go invisible like most scrying sensors!

Temperjoke
2017-11-18, 05:05 PM
Doesn't this mean that find familiar should be a higher level than a 1st level ritual? Sure, it is limited to 100ft but it is always available.
The homonculous cannot even go invisible like most scrying sensors!

Well, that's the thing, a familiar is limited to 100ft to do things via, while a homunculus can be anywhere on the same plane as you. The MM entry, referenced in the spell, actually says it can be used as a spy, a scout, an emissary, or a messenger. Plus, while some divination spells can warn the target that they're being watched, the homunculus doesn't carry that particular risk, just the risk of being caught. It doesn't specify, but I'd imagine that the homunculus could also use magic items. It doesn't have a lot of endurance for combat, but if a target fails it's saving throw by 5 or more, it falls unconscious. In a sense, a homunculus is a familiar that's on par with a chain warlock familiar. It's also immune to anti-magic areas.

I'd also point out that Find Familiar is also a bit overpowered. I mean, how many different optimization guides call for having a familiar to aid in combat?

Waterdeep Merch
2017-11-18, 05:12 PM
Well, that's the thing, a familiar is limited to 100ft to do things via, while a homunculus can be anywhere on the same plane as you. The MM entry, referenced in the spell, actually says it can be used as a spy, a scout, an emissary, or a messenger. Plus, while some divination spells can warn the target that they're being watched, the homunculus doesn't carry that particular risk, just the risk of being caught. It doesn't specify, but I'd imagine that the homunculus could also use magic items. It doesn't have a lot of endurance for combat, but if a target fails it's saving throw by 5 or more, it falls unconscious. In a sense, a homunculus is a familiar that's on par with a chain warlock familiar. It's also immune to anti-magic areas.

I'd also point out that Find Familiar is also a bit overpowered. I mean, how many different optimization guides call for having a familiar to aid in combat?
There's also the fact that having a homunculus doesn't preclude you from having a familiar, opening up some serious shenanigans.

People have described familiars as a class feature hidden as a spell. Homunculuses are the same, making the level necessary to cast it in line with other level 11 features.

Temperjoke
2017-11-18, 05:17 PM
There's also the fact that having a homunculus doesn't preclude you from having a familiar, opening up some serious shenanigans.

People have described familiars as a class feature hidden as a spell. Homunculuses are the same, making the level necessary to cast it in line with other level 11 features.

Seriously, since your homunculus counts as an extension of you, depending on how your DM rules it, could you imagine sending your familiar with your homunculus places that a normal familiar couldn't go and casting touch spells through it?

For that matter, I now have a question about whether you can cast touch and self spells through your homunculus, which takes care of the invisibility problem if you can.

Temperjoke
2017-11-18, 08:51 PM
Something else I thought of about the homunculus, since it knows everything you do including languages, it can aid with various types of research, even if the party divides up to do it, you can send it with someone who could use your character's help.

Unoriginal
2017-11-18, 09:00 PM

Why not? What else are you going to use it for?