PDA

View Full Version : Trading Damage for Accuracy mechanic idea: Worthwhile or not?

Mith
2017-11-17, 11:36 PM
Hi,

Some reading on people's thoughts on 5e weapons system gave me an idea that I want a second opinion on.

A modification I have heard done with Great Weapons Master is to swap out the -5/+10 to-hit/damage with Disadvantage/double proficency to the to hit and damage rolls. This is used on two handed attacks with the idea of a sweeping attack that has a rather straight attack trajectory that is easier to avoid.

Would it work to use a reverse trade off mechanic with smaller weapons such as shortswords and daggers to subtract from damage to improve accuracy, or does that give too much power to classes like the Rogue? I wasoriginally picturing with subtracting double proficency from damage to add your profiency bonus twice to your attack modifier, but that doesn't seem the best way to do it now that I type it out. And with the existance of features that trigger on advantage, I do not want to give out advantage without a better tradeoff.

What I am picturing for the reason for the effect is for when hitting a creature to inflict a status effect is more important than dealing damage such as trying to poison or burn a creature.

Thank you for any thoughts you may have with this idea.