PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Corruption] Entothropy (Lycanthropy Variant)

Xuldarinar
2017-11-18, 12:40 AM
ENTOTHROPY
The bites of mere of beasts are not the only to fear, but so too the mandibles and stingers of beings part man and part vermin. You are one such victim, no longer prey but filled with the desire to become the predator.

This corruption functions almost identically to the Lycanthropy corruption except all references to animals are replaced with vermin both in name and mechanics; Animalistic Might becomes Verminous Might, Fur Armor becomes Chitinous Armor, Lycanthropic Empathy becomes Entothropic Empathy and lets you use Diplomacy on vermin. and so on. In addition to such changes, Entothropy corruption has access to the Verminous Senses manifestation as described listed below.

Catalyst: Enthothropy is contracted identically to lycanthropy, but results from being wounded by the teeth, or mandibles, or sting of an entothrope rather than such from a lycanthrope.

Verminous Senses
You gain the senses of your verminous side.
Gift: You gain darkvision out to 60 feet. At manifestation level 3rd, you gain the tremorsense out to 60 feet. if your entothrope vermin type has tremorsense.
Stain: Creatures of the animal type are unnerved by your entothropic presence, causing you to take a -2 penalty on Handle Animal and Ride skill checks. At manifestation level 3rd, these penalties change to -4
Special: This is a special lycanthropy manifestation available to those who succumb to the entothropy variant, and replaces access to the Feral Senses manifestation.

noob
2017-11-18, 01:37 PM
Looks a lot like http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/entothrope-cr-1/ from Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 6

Xuldarinar
2017-11-18, 01:54 PM
Looks a lot like http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/entothrope-cr-1/ from Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 6

That is exactly the point. Thank you for noticing and being the first to say. I was thinking I should of linked that.

noob
2017-11-18, 02:00 PM
So the idea is to have a version of the template that looks more like the lycanthropy template?

Xuldarinar
2017-11-18, 02:05 PM
So the idea is to have a version of the template that looks more like the lycanthropy template?

The idea is to have a version of the corruption, which follows a differing line of progression than just standard entothropy (or lycanthropy if you compare the original template to the original corruption).

I, for one, think a party member transforming gradually into a werespider is a little more horrific than them turning into a werewolf.

noob
2017-11-18, 02:26 PM
Or cuter depending on your preferences.

Blue Jay
2017-11-18, 07:50 PM
I usually try not to be a jerk about stuff like this, but I'm an entomologist in real life, and this really annoys me, so I'm going to give in to the dark impulses of linguistic purism. The proper word is "entomanthrope," not "entothrope" (Paizo version) or "entomanothrope" (WotC version).

Entomo- means "insect" (actually, it means "cut in pieces," which refers to the segmented body of an insect)
-anthrope means "man"
ento- means "internal" or "inside"
-thrope means nothing, as far as I can tell

So,
Entomanthrope means "insect man"
Entomanothrope means "an anothrope (whatever that is) cut into pieces"
Entothrope means "a thrope (whatever that is) inside"

And of course, neither centipedes, scorpions nor spiders are insects, so those should be called "myriapanthropes" and "arachnanthropes."

Sorry: personal demons expunged now. Carry on. :redface:

Xuldarinar
2017-11-19, 02:33 PM
I usually try not to be a jerk about stuff like this, but I'm an entomologist in real life, and this really annoys me, so I'm going to give in to the dark impulses of linguistic purism. The proper word is "entomanthrope," not "entothrope" (Paizo version) or "entomanothrope" (WotC version).

Entomo- means "insect" (actually, it means "cut in pieces," which refers to the segmented body of an insect)
-anthrope means "man"
ento- means "internal" or "inside"
-thrope means nothing, as far as I can tell

So,
Entomanthrope means "insect man"
Entomanothrope means "an anothrope (whatever that is) cut into pieces"
Entothrope means "a thrope (whatever that is) inside"

And of course, neither centipedes, scorpions nor spiders are insects, so those should be called "myriapanthropes" and "arachnanthropes."

Sorry: personal demons expunged now. Carry on. :redface:

Your linguistic objection is noted and understood. I've had similar problems myself (like why in one game is a hedgehog/werewolf called a werehog, and how is a vampire/werewolf called a werepire?), but here I am going with the 'official' term.

If we want to discuss typings, just as why are spiders grouped with ants.. why are fungal creatures defined as plants?