PDA

View Full Version : How strong is this oath?

Renen
2017-11-18, 01:06 AM
Playing in a game where I'm going with the sorcerer/paladin multiclass build. It's going well and soon I'll have to think about what oath to take. As an option I have the following oath made by the GM, and was wondering how you all think it looks in comparison to the oaths from the books? I won't go past 7th level paladin, so I don't include the latter stuff.

Spells:

III - Command, Comprehend Languages
V - Detect Thoughts, Prayer of Healing

Channel Divinity:

Insurmountable Truth: As an action you present your holy symbol and you turn a creature you can see within 30ft paralyzed (Con SV against Spell Save DC of paladin) At the end of their turn, they can save again.

Carving a path: As an action you present your holy symbol, all foes within 30ft of you must make a Str SV or fall prone. All enemies within 30ft lose half their movement speed until the end of their next turn.

Level 7

The Seeker

Every creature in a 10ft radius around you adds the Paladin’s Charisma modifier to any Investigation, Insight or Perception check they make. (This includes the paladin)

At level 18 the aura increases in size to 30ft.

melvinmelon123
2017-11-18, 01:18 AM
That seems pretty strong. You basically get Hold Monster very early with the CD. The level 7 is crazy strong, if you are maxing you Cha (like you should) you and each of your allies within 10ft get +5 to every saving throw and all the skills you listed. It looks like it would be the best oath to take since both your 3rd and 7th level options are great, while with other oaths not named Oathbreaker you have either a good 3rd or 7th level ability. It does depend on what you plan to do with the character though, if you are making a GWM build and maxing Strength then this is a lot less useful. If you are going sword and board and maxing Charisma it's a no brainer.

Talamare
2017-11-18, 01:25 AM
Investigation, Insight AND Perception?

Nah, that's way too much
Those 3 are arguably the most useful skills in the game (depending on DM)

Make it Religion and either Investigation or Insight (note, not both. I'm suggesting you pick one of the 2)

mephnick
2017-11-18, 02:45 AM
Those CD's are out of line.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-18, 06:44 AM
Agreed, it's too strong. I'd reduce the size of the area in Carving a Path to maybe 15 feet, remove the 'half speed' clause and replace the other one with Discern Truth from here (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/02/oath-of-badge.html). And yeah, change the aura to Religion and Insight, like Talamare suggests.

According to my calculations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22022453&postcount=3), Insight, Investigation and Perception put together account for 42.7% of all skill checks people make, so an always-on ability that gives up to +5 on all those checks is a huge chunk of power.

Renen
2017-11-18, 11:21 AM
Hey that's the option GM has. So I guess ill go with it, since everyone agrees it's better than other stuff. Unless anyone else wants to chime in?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-18, 11:50 AM
Hey that's the option GM has. So I guess ill go with it

Hah, that's one way to look at it, I suppose. :smallwink:

Nidgit
2017-11-18, 12:04 PM
That Channel Divinity is insanely broken. If the GM's not going to change it at all then you should definitely take that oath.

JellyPooga
2017-11-19, 03:35 AM
Insurmountable Truth needs nerfing...badly. I'd give it a type restriction; humanoids only, perhaps and downgrade paralysis to restrained. "Stun" effects are really really strong and this CD should account for that.