PDA

View Full Version : Ceremony's Widow

Talamare
2017-11-18, 11:01 AM
Would it count if one dies, but is revived?

or would one need to remain dead?

lunaticfringe
2017-11-18, 11:17 AM

Lol I got this mental image of Suicide & Resurrection as a means Divorce in a strict, lawful society.

I would rule yes, the spouse must still be dead. Or it would depend on the culture, death do us part is not universal on Earth.

For instance Culture X believes if you are Res'ed all your bonds are severed. You have no spouse, family, friends, or employment. Your old life is gone and many who are ressurected move and change their name. Grave clerics assist with this transition and many are the ressurected themselves. This widow would retain the benefits because their spouse is Dead even though they are walking around.

Foxhound438
2017-11-18, 02:45 PM

seeing as how "widowed" is a term coined in a world where resurrection doesn't exist (or in some religions is reserved for like 1 guy), it's pretty much DM's say. I would say if you're revived you still are married unless the spouse married someone else before you were brought back or something.

Temperjoke
2017-11-18, 02:56 PM
"Sorry, dear, you were dead and we didn't have the materials to bring you back. So, Geoff and I got married, because I wanted that buff before we fought that evil necromancer."

Talamare
2017-11-18, 03:01 PM
If revive can bypass the restriction
Then we are looking at an optimizer god tier buff
7 day duration for +2 AC that stacks with everything

Foxhound438
2017-11-18, 03:07 PM
If revive can bypass the restriction
Then we are looking at an optimizer god tier buff
7 day duration for +2 AC that stacks with everything

you do have to have raise dead or revivify and the necessary 500GP item... unless you're fond of killing off your zealot barb, then you just need the spell on your list.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-11-18, 04:24 PM
It seems reasonable to me that whichever powers that be care about the widowed restriction would not be blindsided by the existence of afterlife revolving doors.

Dragonus45
2017-11-18, 05:05 PM
I feel like this question is likely to be both culture and possibly even deity specific.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-11-18, 05:19 PM
This gives me a weird idea for a society that takes 'war brides/husbands' before going to fight battles that they are likely to lose or end up dead in. Something that's given a lot of romantic connotation- you take a spouse and pledge an undying love as you march to meet your certain doom. It's also a pragmatic point of view espoused by leaders and the church because it helps embolden suicidal holds and charges from their soldiers.

The ultimate romantic doomed saga are two warriors betrothed to each other the hour before battle. There's probably a famous story there, told throughout the empire. Romeo and Juliet with a whole lot more death, and that's saying something.

Mith
2017-11-18, 06:07 PM
This gives me a weird idea for a society that takes 'war brides/husbands' before going to fight battles that they are likely to lose or end up dead in. Something that's given a lot of romantic connotation- you take a spouse and pledge an undying love as you march to meet your certain doom. It's also a pragmatic point of view espoused by leaders and the church because it helps embolden suicidal holds and charges from their soldiers.

The ultimate romantic doomed saga are two warriors betrothed to each other the hour before battle. There's probably a famous story there, told throughout the empire. Romeo and Juliet with a whole lot more death, and that's saying something.

One could do a Sacred Band of Thebes style military where the oath is that married pairs sign up. If one wants to do a inclusive society, perhaps the oath is part of a sacred band that takes service for a certain number of years, after which a couple that can have children (if you do not allow belts of gender swapping to be common use) are able to have children, but are unable to have children during military service with an enforced infertility. The Ceremony is a part of a regular ritual. I realize that the idea is a one time bonus that only lasts for 7 days, but as a DM, I probably would change things up a bit.

Vaz
2017-11-18, 06:34 PM
'Til death do us part'

Also, I love the concept of a priest marrying people outside an illegal prize fighting arena.

Arkhios
2017-11-19, 04:59 AM

Lol. Imagine a Zealot Barbarian married to a cleric as early as from 5th level forward (revivify) Infinite Ceremony.

No, I doubt "'til death do us part" actually counts in the case you are raised from death.