PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Xanathar's spells

Specter
2017-11-18, 12:20 PM
So now that we could analyze all XtgE spells, there are we'd personally never use, and some we're very eager to try. So what are yours? For me it would be:

- Steel Wind Strike: melee rangers finally get a spell on par with other high-level ones, and Wizards can have fun with it too. It's a shame EKs can't grab it naturally, that would be cool.

- Shadow Blade: I feel like this one was tailor-made for Arcane Tricksters, but anyone with Extra Attack can definitely enjoy it. Plus, psychic damage, which is cool.

- Enemies Abound: finally enchanters get a 3rd-level spell, and there's so much strategic value to it that I wouldn't miss on it.

Beechgnome
2017-11-18, 12:33 PM
So now that we could analyze all XtgE spells, there are we'd personally never use, and some we're very eager to try. So what are yours? For me it would be:

- Steel Wind Strike: melee rangers finally get a spell on par with other high-level ones, and Wizards can have fun with it too. It's a shame EKs can't grab it naturally, that would be cool.

- Shadow Blade: I feel like this one was tailor-made for Arcane Tricksters, but anyone with Extra Attack can definitely enjoy it. Plus, psychic damage, which is cool.

- Enemies Abound: finally enchanters get a 3rd-level spell, and there's so much strategic value to it that I wouldn't miss on it.

Yes to all three: enemies abound is also amazing for a sorcerer as a twinned spell.

Mind spike is great for diviners: an attack spell that at 6th level costs a spell slot but gives you a slot lower back. The rider is a bonus. Gold!

Tiny Servant is also amazing. Useful and tons of fun. I have already given it as a free spell to the artificer in the campaign I am running.

And for flavor I love Soul Cage and Danse Macabre and really all the new necromancy spells. Necromancers, once an afterthought, are now really, really interesting options.

Arguus
2017-11-18, 01:28 PM
Yes to all three: enemies abound is also amazing for a sorcerer as a twinned spell.

OMG, Sutble Enemies Abound works like Spread of Savagery (D&D 3.5). But, the enemie can't identify who casted.

Beechgnome
2017-11-18, 01:51 PM
OMG, Sutble Enemies Abound works like Spread of Savagery (D&D 3.5). But, the enemie can't identify who casted.

Cast Seeming and turn everybody into skeletons for maximum mayhem.

Sariel Vailo
2017-11-18, 02:38 PM
Tensers transformation blade singer good use

Scathain
2017-11-18, 02:50 PM
Oh my god where to even start.

Transformation was a favorite of mine from 3rd edition. Had it on a conjurer that we ported over from the old edition into 5th.
In the same vein, I LOVE the demon summoning and Infernal Calling spells. Sure it’s no Summon Monster X, but finally my old character FEELS like the conjurer of old.

Sickening Radiance is the perfect spell for my new Skaven wizard. The damage and exhaustion are nice, but the fluff of green gas makes for a good Warpstone spell.

By far my ABSOLUTE favorite is Danse Macabre. I always lean toward necromancy, and though Animate and Create Undead are nice, this spell just oozes with flavor. And have you seen the art??? 11/10, would raise again.

Edit: Mind Spike is amazing, and a must have for any Diviner. The Skaven Wizard I mentioned before has it.

DanyBallon
2017-11-18, 03:05 PM
Made a Grave cleric yesterday, and Toll the Dead was really fun and fits my thematic. Also, it felt good not to always rely on Sacred Flame to be your only damage cantrip :smallbiggrin:

Talamare
2017-11-18, 03:09 PM
What do you think about Life Transference?

Sadly because of how it is written, having Resistance to Necrotic means reducing the healing as well.

Tho, healing someone for 8d8 sounds like it's quite a bit, at this level.
Of course I'm choosing to ignore Healing Spirit. So don't bring it up.

Sigreid
2017-11-18, 03:18 PM
Mighty Fortress and it's brother druid and cleric spells are pretty awesome for establishing a temporary forward base in a high level campaign. I mean it comes complete with food and servants. Could hardly ask for a better setup to explore a dangerous new area.

Talamare
2017-11-18, 04:01 PM
Chaos Bolt for potentially infinite damage

Only if you have infinite number of targets

Jacquerel
2017-11-18, 05:28 PM
Chaos Bolt for potentially infinite damage (in six seconds). Psychic Scream and Synaptic Static to give bards more direct damage AoE.

The chance of it bouncing even once is so low though, it's a shame.

Foff
2017-11-19, 04:15 AM
I'd have to give my vote to Dragon's Breath, probably the strongest buff at that level, as a warlock player i tend to squeeze out as much as i can from my slots, and this one is just peachy

Zanthy1
2017-11-19, 09:55 AM
Shadowblade is probably my top. 2d8 is amazing, finesse and thrown for dex based builds, even short ranged. When it is thrown or dropped it reappears in your hand (so long as the 1 minute duration is still going). Yes it is concentration, but if you're worried about that, stand behind people and throw it. There is also the interpretation that if you hand it off to another character (not thrown or dropped) that they can use it, however this is debated and ultimately up to the DM.

I also love the fortress spell (forget the specific name), cause its a full fledged fortress with 100 unseen servant to staff it, that pops up wherever, and if you cast it enough times becomes permanent.

Finlam
2017-11-19, 10:41 AM
The chance of it bouncing even once is so low though, it's a shame.
Yes, it is crap.

But....

If you empower it, you can re-roll each of the d8's one time, effectively allowing you up to 3 dice to match the d8 you want. This increases your odds of getting a match and splitting the spell:

Normal: 1/8 = 12.5%

Empowered: 1-(7/8)^3 = 33% chance

Still makes it total garbage in my opinion. Add to that the fact that Wild Sorcs are in no way better at generating a split than any other caster and the spell is total crap both mechanically and thematically.

0 out of 5: would not waste ink printing it again.

Vaz
2017-11-19, 10:57 AM
Yes, it is crap.

But....

If you empower it, you can re-roll each of the d8's one time, effectively allowing you up to 3 dice to match the d8 you want. This increases your odds of getting a match and splitting the spell:

Still makes it total garbage in my opinion. Add to that the fact that Wild Sorcs are in no way better at generating a split than any other caster and the spell is total crap both mechanically and thematically.

Stop stealing my pixels.

Eradis
2017-11-19, 12:52 PM
I still don't get how so many people already have Xanathar's Guide to Everything while my pre-order still state that the book should be released the 21st. Where/How did you get it?

Finlam
2017-11-19, 01:15 PM
I still don't get how so many people already have Xanathar's Guide to Everything while my pre-order still state that the book should be released the 21st. Where/How did you get it?

The first step requires blood harvested within the last 24 hours.

I'll skip the next 3 steps as I'm sure you're quite versed in them.

For the last step: You drop down on one knee, tenderly extended one hand, and ask the Balor (using its true name at this point because you've grown tight like that thanks to the previous step) if you can have a copy.

Step 5: Enjoy Xanathar's and don't forget to dispose of the bodies.

------------

Or, go to your friendly local game store and ask if they have a copy since Xanathar's was released early to some stores in limited supply. It's whichever method you prefer, really.

Eradis
2017-11-19, 01:47 PM
Or, go to your friendly local game store and ask if they have a copy since Xanathar's was released early to some stores in limited supply. It's whichever method you prefer, really.

I quite hate early releases like this when I would have to drive an hour and a half to get to the closest decent hobby store. The one in my town sometimes have rpg books, are over half the time in French and the guy mostly deal in collectible cards with half his store dedicated to hockey ones... Darn it!

But, thanks for the info. I gutted my "c"oat and pleaded to Lolth holding a spider nest hostage. Too bad her envoy told me the wait time is 2 to 3 days...

Finlam
2017-11-19, 02:38 PM
But, thanks for the info. I gutted my "c"oat and pleaded to Lolth holding a spider nest hostage. Too bad her envoy told me the wait time is 2 to 3 days...
That's because you need Cult of Lloth Prime Membership. I mean sure it costs a few extra sacrifices per year, but the benefits and the faster shipping are definitely worth it IMHO.

Potato_Priest
2017-11-19, 04:58 PM
My favorite xanathar’s guide spell is absorb elements.

I know it was in the EE players’ companion, but it was such a good spell that I didn’t think DMs would let me take it not in a printed book.

Now, however, it is mine, and I shall never fear dragons again!
Unless they use their frightful presence ability, of course

Lonely Tylenol
2017-11-19, 05:38 PM
I quite hate early releases like this when I would have to drive an hour and a half to get to the closest decent hobby store.

I live on an island with zero bookstores or game stores. I feel you.

From what I’ve heard so far, Steel Wind Strike and Danse Macabre are early leaders for me, plus the 8th-level spell that lets you create your own fortress. Finally, I get to create my favorite Arrested Development running gag in spell form. :smallamused:

MeeposFire
2017-11-19, 06:21 PM
I live on an island with zero bookstores or game stores. I feel you.

From what I’ve heard so far, Steel Wind Strike and Danse Macabre are early leaders for me, plus the 8th-level spell that lets you create your own fortress. Finally, I get to create my favorite Arrested Development running gag in spell form. :smallamused:

I get that too but we should also remember that local stores are very important for the health of the gaming industry and throwing them this bone can be a nice boon for them.

Of course some local gaming stores will mail you books that you order from them in which case you can start early...

JackPhoenix
2017-11-19, 06:32 PM

Found PDF on the internet. Both incomplete rip and full scan.

Yes, it is crap.

But....

Dies from higher slot are d6, not d8

Eradis
2017-11-19, 07:49 PM

I do have a pdf version, complete, even a limited edition. I look a bit inside to know what to expect, but nothing beats paper for me while going through an rpg game. Pdf are great for quick search during a game, but reading, preparing encounters or creating a character, I need the real thing.

Kane0
2017-11-19, 08:05 PM
Got my hands on my copy finally, mighty nice!

Looking over some of the spells, there are plenty of interesting ones but Enervation caught my eye for some reason. It strikes me as potentially a higher level Witch Bolt despite the healing, what do others reckon?

Finlam
2017-11-19, 08:42 PM

Dies from higher slot are d6, not d8

We're empowering, not upcasting.

When you empower you can get 3 chances for a d8 match 1) the initial roll 2)re-roll the first d8 3)re-roll the second d8.

It's still a waste of a spell slot any way you slice it.

If your DM feels sorry for you he may let you twin it on top of empowering it to increase your odds of getting a single split to just around 55%.

But honestly, why would you? Just why. ..?

samcifer
2017-11-19, 09:29 PM
For me, Illusory Dragon sounds amazing. Even if they discover that it's an illusion, they can still take damage and it's rather hard to get rid of unless they can dispel or counter the casting of it unless they target the wizard themself.

Zanthy1
2017-11-20, 07:50 AM
I quite hate early releases like this when I would have to drive an hour and a half to get to the closest decent hobby store. The one in my town sometimes have rpg books, are over half the time in French and the guy mostly deal in collectible cards with half his store dedicated to hockey ones... Darn it!

Sounds like a store I know in Ithaca, NY

Eradis
2017-11-20, 09:46 AM

To top it off, I learned today that I won't receive my copy before the 27th because Amazon tried to billed it on my old credit card... Oh well, my next campaign doesn't start before the 1st where the players will be making their toons anyway.

MeeposFire
2017-11-20, 05:44 PM

Hmm I am not sure if it is works for you but the Binghamton areas (specifically Johnson City) has some decent gaming stores.

Kane0
2017-11-20, 06:03 PM
Upon closer inspection yep, Enervation is pretty lacklustre for pretty much the same reasons as Witch Bolt. The damage and rider are solid considering the range and duration but the fact that you must continue to use your action each turn without fail and stay within range/line of sight at all times or instantly lose the spell is pretty damning.

And this is supposed to compete with Dance Macabre and Negative Energy Flood.

Blacky the Blackball
2017-11-21, 07:25 AM
To top it off, I learned today that I won't receive my copy before the 27th because Amazon tried to billed it on my old credit card... Oh well, my next campaign doesn't start before the 1st where the players will be making their toons anyway.

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon back on the 3rd of July - and my order status still doesn't even have an estimated delivery date...

Sigreid
2017-11-21, 08:09 AM
I pre-ordered mine from Amazon back on the 3rd of July - and my order status still doesn't even have an estimated delivery date...

Wow, I preordered mine a week ago and was notified it shipped Friday and will arrive today. Sorry you got screwed.

Correction, it was delivered yesterday and I didn't know.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-11-21, 08:19 AM

Man, I feel your pain (somewhat). I also preordered way back in the summer (might have been late June?) and I finally got a delivery date a few days ago- November 28-December 7. :smallsigh:

Joe the Rat
2017-11-21, 08:28 AM
Cantrip-wise, I still love toll the dead. Thematic for clerics and fate-themed characters, and the increased damage has a ridiculously easy criteria.
I am curious why primal savagery was changed to acid damage.

Flavorwise, I love psychic scream. decent damage for the level, easy to cast (somatic only!), and if you do killing damage heads explode.

Danse Macabre gives budding Necromancers that much-needed Instant Horde. I have a feeling my resident Mad Scientist is going to reconsider the Cleric/Artificer split.
Also, this is a must-grab for Bards.

For reasons.

Potato_Priest
2017-11-21, 12:16 PM

What was it before?

DracoKnight
2017-11-21, 01:06 PM
What was it before?

Slashing, I believe.

TheUser
2017-11-21, 01:26 PM
* Absorb Elements becoming a spell for Druids, Rangers and Sorcerers made a lot of sense thematically for me. It also makes a feat like elemental atunement far more valuable in campaigns where you are facing casters.

* I really like Phantom Blade too, it might become an issue for strong hybrids (I am currently working on a Gloom Stalker/Arcane Trickster build which incidentally might use this spell very well).

* I think Enervate is amazing for Sorcerers since it is highly compatible with both Twinned and Quickened Spell as well as Empower and Heighten.

* I am in no way averse to the idea of Healing Spirit being a strong spell for out of combat healing. I think that the current ability to throw gold into healing potions already trivializes out of combat healing and this just gives a way for druids to save money using a spell slot.

* Synaptic Static seems altogether amazing for a 5th level spell and cripples multiple enemies off of the weakest save for a majority of monsters. Requiring no concentration makes it border on OP.

* Dance Macabre may well put Necromancers back on the map since 5 skeleton archers attacking at 1d6+11(+2 base, +5 int, +4 proficiency at level 9) and an attack bonus of +7 seems -really- strong...that's 5d6 + 55 DPR from 1 spell seems pretty strong.

* Illusory Dragon is SO COOL and I love it as an 8th level spell.

* I'm really worried about Sickening Radiance and how strong it will be.

Specter
2017-11-21, 01:41 PM
Upon closer inspection yep, Enervation is pretty lacklustre for pretty much the same reasons as Witch Bolt. The damage and rider are solid considering the range and duration but the fact that you must continue to use your action each turn without fail and stay within range/line of sight at all times or instantly lose the spell is pretty damning.

And this is supposed to compete with Dance Macabre and Negative Energy Flood.

I don't think these requirements will be too steep, but it is a bit weak.

Cantrip-wise, I still love toll the dead. Thematic for clerics and fate-themed characters, and the increased damage has a ridiculously easy criteria.

Flavorwise, I love psychic scream. decent damage for the level, easy to cast (somatic only!), and if you do killing damage heads explode.

Danse Macabre gives budding Necromancers that much-needed Instant Horde. I have a feeling my resident Mad Scientist is going to reconsider the Cleric/Artificer split.
Also, this is a must-grab for Bards.

For reasons.

Primal Savagery is now pure nonsense. Acid damage (???), a 5-foot reach and d10 damage. Nothing good can come out of it.

* Absorb Elements becoming a spell for Druids, Rangers and Sorcerers made a lot of sense thematically for me. It also makes a feat like elemental atunement far more valuable in campaigns where you are facing casters.

* I really like Phantom Blade too, it might become an issue for strong hybrids (I am currently working on a Gloom Stalker/Arcane Trickster build which incidentally might use this spell very well).

* I think Enervate is amazing for Sorcerers since it is highly compatible with both Twinned and Quickened Spell as well as Empower and Heighten.

* I am in no way averse to the idea of Healing Spirit being a strong spell for out of combat healing. I think that the current ability to throw gold into healing potions already trivializes out of combat healing and this just gives a way for druids to save money using a spell slot.

* Synaptic Static seems altogether amazing for a 5th level spell and cripples multiple enemies off of the weakest save for a majority of monsters. Requiring no concentration makes it border on OP.

* Dance Macabre may well put Necromancers back on the map since 5 skeleton archers attacking at 1d6+11(+2 base, +5 int, +4 proficiency at level 9) and an attack bonus of +7 seems -really- strong...that's 5d6 + 55 DPR from 1 spell seems pretty strong.

* Illusory Dragon is SO COOL and I love it as an 8th level spell.

* I'm really worried about Sickening Radiance and how strong it will be.

All saves that require Intelligence should be pushed up some levels, because very few monsters and NPCs are ever proficient in them.

Sickening Radiance can be too much.

stoutstien
2017-11-21, 07:39 PM
I feel like the only thing they really missed in the cantrip category is a melee druid /cleric one. Is it bad that I think each class should have one that's exclusive?

Quoxis
2017-11-22, 03:41 AM
I feel like the only thing they really missed in the cantrip category is a melee druid /cleric one. Is it bad that I think each class should have one that's exclusive?

Isn't primal savagery a druid cantrip?

Joe the Rat
2017-11-22, 11:12 AM
Primal Savagery is now pure nonsense. Acid damage (???), a 5-foot reach and d10 damage. Nothing good can come out of it.

I think it might be to make it "magic" damage, and acid was the most "natural" option besides poison (which is covered by poison spray)?
Apparently "slashing or piercing damage (your choice). This damage counts as magical for overcoming damage resistance." was one sentence too many for the description.

Looking at all of the melee range cantrips, I wonder if they did this because Acid was the only damage type not represented at this point.

RickAsWritten
2017-11-22, 11:49 AM
Mental Prison-because it is Phantasmal Force on steroids.

Ravinsild
2017-11-22, 03:49 PM
I don't know if they are actually GOOD or EFFECTIVE but as far as the imagery and "capturing my imagination"/"being cool":

Danse Macabre
Shadow Blade
Infestation
Shadow of Moil
Sickening Radiance
Negative Energy Flood
Maddening Darkness
Soul Cage

JackPhoenix
2017-11-22, 05:10 PM
I think it might be to make it "magic" damage, and acid was the most "natural" option besides poison (which is covered by poison spray)?
Apparently "slashing or piercing damage (your choice). This damage counts as magical for overcoming damage resistance." was one sentence too many for the description.

Looking at all of the melee range cantrips, I wonder if they did this because Acid was the only damage type not represented at this point.

That one sentence too many was pointless in the first place. It's magic already by the virtue of coming from a spell. Any physical (P/B/S) damage caused directly by a spell (not summoned creature) counts as magic per default.

Maxilian
2017-11-22, 05:53 PM
I really like:

Infestation, is really cool thematically (though its not really good).

Toll the Dead, is really good, even more for the Clerics that were lacking cantrips in general. (Word of Radiance help with that too, but its not as good as Toll the Dead)

Dragon's Breath is pretty cool, even more cause you can make your familiar actually use this, making it an interesting idea.

Tiny Servant, just for the amount of options it gives you. (And its a really cool spell for any caster in general -even more if your character is an Artificer or a summoner)

Guardian of Nature, in general, i was a fan of the whole Primeval Ranger and this is a little bit of the fantasy that the subclass wanted to sell, also its a great spell for Druids in general (maybe even more for Moon Druids)

The Summon demons spell group, they may not be the best spells but they are quite thematic and makes a lot of sense for some classes (like our love child Warlock :P)

Create Homunculus, mainly because i like to have things that are mentioned in other books to be actually a mechanic (Like Wizards creating Homunculus based on the Monster Manual comment of the creature).

Find Greater Steed, mostly because it saves the "can i get an upgrade for my paladin mount?" thing. (I also like the options, even more that they added some options that are based around small PC as paladins -Peryton- or just a nice companion)

Lucas Tucson
2017-11-22, 06:04 PM
1 )Silence
2 )Earth Bind

It's high useful with Coffelock shanenigans (Divine Soul 17/ Warlock 3)

1) Divine Soul takes free wings and metamagic and Wish (Duplicating Simulacrum).

2) The Sorlock keeps distance with Spell Sniper feat + Distant Spell Metamagic + Agonizing Eldrich Blast while blasting the enemie.

3) The Sorlock casts Distant (600 feet range?? OMG) / Heightened / Quicken Earth Bind (Str save or suck)

4) The Simulacrum casts Distant / Quicken Silence (Spellcaster's nighmare)

5) If the enemie can't fly... It isn't a challenge.

Maxilian
2017-11-22, 06:05 PM
What do you think about Life Transference?

Sadly because of how it is written, having Resistance to Necrotic means reducing the healing as well.

Tho, healing someone for 8d8 sounds like it's quite a bit, at this level.
Of course I'm choosing to ignore Healing Spirit. So don't bring it up.

Well there are some weird ways to combo this, in general.

Be a Life Cleric, that way after lvl 6, you will heal 5 damage after casting the spell (If you cast it as lvl 3 spell), also increasing the healing with no penalty thanks to Disciple of Life, you can also get the Armor of Vulnerability (Necrotic) to take more damage of the spell and heal even more -try not to run into any enemy that does necrotic damage :P-

mer.c
2017-11-22, 07:27 PM
I love battlefiend control, mobility, and enchantment/illusion type spells, so that's what I've grabbed onto.

Guardian of Nature, Wrath of Nature, and Druid Grove look sweet as hell for my Mountain Druid. Only regret is that you can't use Guardian of Nature's Con save bonus to help maintain concentration on your debuffs, since it itself requires concentration.
Word of Radiance, with its ability to choose who not to hit, looks great, but the Con save is a major bummer.
Scatter looks like tons of fun, but YMMV on how useful it will be.
Even excepting Twin shenanigans, Dragon's Breath is sweet. It's almost like what Witch Bolt should have been on a spell-niche level.
Enchanters got some serious new toys, most of which target Intelligence. Enemies Abound is amazing. Synaptic Static is amazing - that improved Bane effect really pushes it.
Danse Macabre is of course amazing, although I'd never want to keep track of all those extra bodies as a player. Love that it's included, though!
Not a spell, but I really like the Sun Soul monk's spell-like abilities. I was prepared to be underwhelmed by the kit but it looks really fun.

Asmotherion
2017-11-22, 07:45 PM
That's because you need Cult of Lloth Prime Membership. I mean sure it costs a few extra sacrifices per year, but the benefits and the faster shipping are definitely worth it IMHO.

Please... If you want things done right, don't rely on demons. In Baator we've had Xanathar himself-signed copies of his books, with a dedication for the minimum price of your eternal soul TM*.

*substitutes can be bargained.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-24, 05:24 AM
Catapult. It's not exactly Xanathar spell, being reprint from EE, but:

Level 1 spell, so available from the beginning of the game
3d8 damage is decent for level 1 spell, even if it's single-target... or is it?
It shoots in line until it hit something. Miss one target? Let's see if there's anyone else...
Best range from level 1 spells, though you'd want a clear path between you and the intended target.
Can hit around corners, or from unexpected directions to deny the target cover.
Only S component, so you can make great distraction by shooting the object from unexpected direction without making noise to reveal yourself.
You can use it to throw interesting stuff. Flasks of oil/acid/alchemist's fire? Pot full of poisonous spiders? Dead cat for literal cat-a-pult? BBEG's prized Ming dynasty vase? The possibilities are endless.*

*Ask your GM first. Not everyone allows extra effects from unusual objects.