PDA

View Full Version : Happy Happy Joy Joy

Pex
2017-11-18, 08:07 PM
Xanathar's Guide has defined skill DCs for tool use! It's only for tools and not skills in general, but it's something. It provides a foundation DMs can build upon and players know what their characters can do. Even the section on traps gives DCs for DMs to work with.

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

Beechgnome
2017-11-18, 08:28 PM
Xanathar's Guide has defined skill DCs for tool use! It's only for tools and not skills in general, but it's something. It provides a foundation DMs can build upon and players know what their characters can do. Even the section on traps gives DCs for DMs to work with.

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

I love the tool section. It makes me want to play a folk hero dwarven monk, just to cram three artisan tools into one character.

Slipperychicken
2017-11-18, 09:09 PM
Huzzah! A step in the right direction! Actually defining what the hell proficiencies do!

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-18, 09:36 PM
Holy cow! An actual coherent skill section! With, like, actual rules and benefits for things! I never thought I'd see the day...

Laurefindel
2017-11-19, 12:22 AM

[tyrannical DM] No, no, no no no no, this is terrible! Now people will have sensible arguments against my absolute yet arbitrary ruling! What kind of crap is that!!! [/tyrannical DM]

Nettlekid
2017-11-19, 12:25 AM
I love the tool section. It makes me want to play a folk hero dwarven monk, just to cram three artisan tools into one character.

Right? Like all my new characters have the Folk Hero background to make them cobblers and carpenters.

JellyPooga
2017-11-19, 03:29 AM
Does...does it have a section for Tinkers Tools and what they're actually for? If it does, I think I might shed a little tear of joy...

Lombra
2017-11-19, 06:27 AM
Does...does it have a section for Tinkers Tools and what they're actually for? If it does, I think I might shed a little tear of joy...

It does. This book is so cool.

Unoriginal
2017-11-19, 06:46 AM

You can use Tinker's Tools to repair stuff (in more or less temporary fashion depending on how much time and effort you put into it) or to improvise an item with stuff lying around. They can also help you in some History and Investigation check.

So yes, you could use the Tinker's Tools to craft a plate armor in a cave, with a box of scrap.

DracoKnight
2017-11-19, 07:05 AM
So yes, you could use the Tinker's Tools to craft a plate armor in a cave, with a box of scrap.

I appreciate that reference! :smallbiggrin:

Foff
2017-11-19, 12:15 PM
You can use Tinker's Tools to repair stuff (in more or less temporary fashion depending on how much time and effort you put into it) or to improvise an item with stuff lying around. They can also help you in some History and Investigation check.

or you could turn yourself into a fantasy version of MacGuyver and craft traps and weapons on the fly with bobby pins and some hemp rope

also, finally you have a reference for crafting stuff with your alchemy set, my Catapult gnomish master exploder just got a whole new level of cool

showering people with alchemist fire grenades has never felt better

Finlam
2017-11-19, 01:21 PM
or you could turn yourself into a fantasy version of MacGuyver and craft traps and weapons on the fly with bobby pins and some hemp rope

also, finally you have a reference for crafting stuff with your alchemy set, my Catapult gnomish master exploder just got a whole new level of cool

showering people with alchemist fire grenades has never felt better

Pffft. My barbarian Macramés in his down time. LIKE A REAL MAN!

Srsly though, Cleric John, that sweater will keep you warm. It's like 2 above freezing here, why are you taking it off? Do you not like it? IS THROGMARSH'S Macramé NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?

*TWITCHES VIOLENTLY as Cleric John, puts his sweater, the one that says "THROGMARSH BFF" back on*
*Camera pans out to reveal rest of the party wearing Macramé hats and sweaters*
*THROGMARSH takes some deep breaths and goes back to his Macramé*

8wGremlin
2017-11-19, 06:09 PM
Pffft. My barbarian Macramés in his down time. LIKE A REAL MAN!

Srsly though, Cleric John, that sweater will keep you warm. It's like 2 above freezing here, why are you taking it off? Do you not like it? IS THROGMARSH'S Macramé NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?

*TWITCHES VIOLENTLY as Cleric John, puts his sweater, the one that says "THROGMARSH BFF" back on*
*Camera pans out to reveal rest of the party wearing Macramé hats and sweaters*
*THROGMARSH takes some deep breaths and goes back to his Macramé*

you don't want to upset THROGMARSH, he gets really angry when you criticize his Macramé.
especially his Macramé winterval sweater and sock combinations...