PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Can characters make 180 degree turns while walking

ShadeBlade0
2017-11-18, 09:46 PM
There is a character in my party who gets bonuses for moving 40ft in a round. Since his speed is 40ft, he walks back and forth between the same two tiles. I know there are limitations on what tiles you can move to while flying, and I remember similar rules for running. Is there similar rules for walking, or can you make 180 degree turns repeatedly?

Hellpyre
2017-11-18, 10:38 PM
Per RAW, I'm pretty sure ground travel has no limitations on turning in 3.5.

That being said, it's easy to houserule that you, say, can't turn more than 150 degrees per square moved (I.E. return to a square you just vacated)

Or just stick a monster with some AoOs and access to the Wolf Pack Tactics stance next to him next time he tries ;D

ATHATH
2017-11-18, 10:51 PM
Per RAW, I'm pretty sure ground travel has no limitations on turning in 3.5.

That being said, it's easy to houserule that you, say, can't turn more than 150 degrees per square moved (I.E. return to a square you just vacated)

Or just stick a monster with some AoOs and access to the Wolf Pack Tactics stance next to him next time he tries ;D
That would be a terrible houserule, though, especially if this guy built his entire character around that tactic or invested significant resources into it.

What's the ability that requires you to move (at least?) 40 ft. per round in order to activate it?

Blue Jay
2017-11-18, 10:52 PM
There is a character in my party who gets bonuses for moving 40ft in a round. Since his speed is 40ft, he walks back and forth between the same two tiles. I know there are limitations on what tiles you can move to while flying, and I remember similar rules for running. Is there similar rules for walking, or can you make 180 degree turns repeatedly?

No, there are no turning rules for ground movement (except you can only Run or Charge in a straight line).

It sounds like you're talking about Expeditious Dodge.

The rule for the Skirmish ability specifies that "move at least X ft" means "end up at least X ft from where you started" (it's in the errata). That rule should probably be used for Expeditious Dodge, too; though I'm not sure they ever officially ruled that way.

That said, this really isn't a particularly game-breaking option. It's just annoyingly smart***.