PDA

View Full Version : What level would this homebrew spell be?

damascoplay
2017-11-19, 01:20 AM
So,i'm creating and trying to have fun by doing a few homebrew spells,but i need help to define what spell level they would be. I'm guessing this would be a 6 level spell...but idk.

You summon forth a large humanoid undead creature made from bones and flesh to aid you in your fight. The Bone golem has the stats of an Earth Golem, but is considered undead and is immune to necrotic damage. The Bone Golem rolls initiative and acts on it's own turn. His slam attacks deals necrotic damage instead, and heal's him for half the damage done. If the Bone Golem is defeated, 1d4 skeletons spawns after his death,and acts agressively agaisn't every hostile creature they can see within range. The skeletons are friendly towards you and your friends, but vanishes into a pile of dust after 1 minute.

The spell works like the Conjure Elemental Spell,and it's still a concentration spell,meaning that failing a con save would make the bone golem go rogue...

https://orig00.deviantart.net/df2b/f/2012/156/7/7/bone_golem_by_u_ra_cil-d52ff5x.jpg

Avonar
2017-11-19, 04:25 AM
I can only assume that you mean a Stone Golem instead of an Earth Golem? Or maybe a Clay Golem?

If so, this would be a very high level spell. Infernal Calling allows you to summon a CR6 devil, and that is a 6th level spell. The Clay/Stone Golems are CR9/10 and you have made them a lot better. I can only see this being a 9th level spell if you are intent on it, all in all though I don't like it.

Feuerphoenix
2017-11-19, 04:35 AM
Creating any kind of golem ubually requires a very arare book of this type of golem and several hundred days. Your spell makes one out off nothing spontaneously, plus even has a an aftermath button in it. I would say 9th level, because with an 8th Level spell, you could cast this twice per day, which is wayyy too much, even for lv 20...

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-19, 08:05 AM
Yeeeah. Assuming you mean clay golem, that's a CR 9 monster. The Conjure X spells in the PHB generally have levels approximately equal to the CRs of monsters they summon, so that would put it into 9th-level territory on its own, even without the bonus skeletons, which are worth a 4th-level slot on their own.

Even if the bone golem's existence was limited to 10 minutes, I'd still be happy to call this 9th-level.

damascoplay
2017-11-19, 12:21 PM
Yeeeah. Assuming you mean clay golem, that's a CR 9 monster. The Conjure X spells in the PHB generally have levels approximately equal to the CRs of monsters they summon, so that would put it into 9th-level territory on its own, even without the bonus skeletons, which are worth a 4th-level slot on their own.

Even if the bone golem's existence was limited to 10 minutes, I'd still be happy to call this 9th-level.

Thx for the reply. Yeah,i meant Clay Golem,but i forgot the name and went with "earth golem". Derp Herp.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-19, 01:27 PM

It's propably more than CR 9, accounting for the self-healing ability.

Captain Panda
2017-11-19, 01:47 PM
I'd call this a level 8 or 9 spell.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-11-19, 11:49 PM
If this were a level 9 spell why would I cast it instead of Wish? Or is Wish that Overpowered it should be level 12 or something.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-20, 03:57 AM
If this were a level 9 spell why would I cast it instead of Wish? Or is Wish that Overpowered it should be level 12 or something.

There's a limit to what wish can do (without risk of monkey paw). If someone said "I wish for an undead abomination under my control," I'd give them a CR 9 creature for a limited time period - that is to say, something very much like what the OP proposes.

When we say "that looks like a 9th-level spell," we mean that's on the same scale as what you could safely get from a wish.

Vaz
2017-11-20, 04:09 AM
Infernal Calling or whatever upcast to 9th creates a CR10 Fiend for a limited amount of time. Might be worth using that as the baseline, which can get you something between a Bone Devil and a Horned Devil.

damascoplay
2017-11-21, 06:01 PM
If i nerfed this spell and decided the creature would have the stats of an earth elemental (wich is CR 5),at what level would that be? I think it would make things more stable and less prone to being abuse. Heal on attacks still counting tho,or maybe a low hp regeneration on start of turn,unless damaged by acid.

Vaz
2017-11-21, 06:08 PM
Do it in reverse. What level spell do you have u want it to be?

damascoplay
2017-11-21, 06:27 PM
Do it in reverse. What level spell do you have u want it to be?

If i went with the earth elemental, i'm pretty sure i would put it in the 6th level spell slot. Since 7th level spells already have insane things such as Simulacrum and Regenerate,wich are far better than summing a creature that can heal itself for half damage done... If i went with the Clay Golem,probably level 7 or 8.