PDA

View Full Version : Caster Blaster Cleric

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-18, 07:24 PM
My group already has a nice healing caster (cleric of Sharindlar {dwarf}, and a paladin of tempus, and lastly we have a tank Druid).

So I want to get a nice blaster, but cleric class. We're on a divine mission from a joint meeting of our gods. I would like some advice on what Domain, God, Spells, etc...

My first step is to make a N (chaotic, or lawful it doesn't matter to me unless im goin for a speacific god) cleric so i can inflict wounds when i want.
God, well I was split between a full blown mage cleric, or go with a mass destruction guy. Also we are good aliegned, at most I can be LN, our paladin has a huge stick of goodness shuved up his.. well it's gona be hard to not give a few coins to the begger, thats all I'm saying.

Domains, deppending on what path I chose I've got a few options. If I go mage caster.. very tempting.. I would like spell, magic, illusion, or trickery. These give me some blasting stuff, and some debuffs for other magic, I also like the time domain for its axcess to contengency, and permancy.

Also theres the cleric of total DESTURTION, this would be the war, destrution, suffering, and so on and so forth.

Travels all ways useful and I may need to dip into it just because we dont have any teleport spells what so ever right know, other than the obviouse word of recall, which isn't all that useful.

so.. Ya domains i need help with.

Spells, well I really don't have any clue were to go from here. It seems to me that all the nice and powerful damage spells are really high levels. What I have Now. I have SC but its not with me right know so This is from basic Memory.

All inflict spells
Entropic Sheild
Fear
Comand
Magic Stone
Darkness
Hold Person
Shatter
Silence
Bestow Cures
Darkfire
Dispel Magic
Blindness/Deafness
Contagion
Dissmisal
Posion

Those are up to fourth lvl, And off the top of my head.

Plz, help and critasize, not my spelling though, i know thats bad.

Oh and I can get alll Core, Comp books, SC, PHII, and FRCS. And starting lvl is 5.
also plz dont telll me to just make a wizard, its an arcane casters only, RULES.

OH and another thing, FEATS just forgot them, go ahead and help me there to if you could. Those have me stumped.

ty.

Reel On, Love
2007-08-18, 07:31 PM
Inflict spells are weaksauce. Cleric blasting is strange in general--clerics do a lot more damage in melee--but if you must, I suggest (Sudden?) Maximized Darkfire, especially if you can Persist it (with DMM, or just normally in the late-game)--a bunch of 30-damage touch attacks is good. Energy Substitution is a must.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-18, 07:40 PM
How do you get energy substatution for clerics.

Reel On, Love
2007-08-18, 07:42 PM
How do you get energy substatution for clerics.

You take the freakin' energy substitution metamagic feat, the same way everyone who isn't an Archmage does?

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-18, 07:47 PM
Easy killer, all ive played is fighter/rogue, and havent looked at to many metamagic feats..

Reel On, Love
2007-08-18, 07:50 PM
Then, uh, maybe you should look through spellcaster-type feats before you start actually making a spellcaster-type character.
Or just the SRD, which happens to include Energy Substitution (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#energySubstitution) - although in 3.5 you can't pick Sonic anymore.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-18, 07:56 PM
yes, and this is y i came to the boards, for information. but no, thank you for the smack upside the head, Ill make sure to know what im talking about before I ask the question to get the answer i alrdy know.. hm kinda of defeats the purpose of asking the question in the first place dont it.

any ways, i still like to know whats goin on in the god, and domains?

Matthew
2007-08-18, 08:02 PM
Sornjss, you have come to the right place to ask. The intent of this site, as far as I am aware, is to foster a friendly community atmosphere, I would advise you to simply ignore impolite and unnecessarily aggressive posts or report them to a Moderator.

That said, please be sure to make every effort to familiarise yourself with the Forum Rules and type coherently, as that is also something that this site seeks to encourage.

Starsinger
2007-08-18, 08:05 PM
Well, domain wise, sun has alot of blasts in it. Fire has a few. Air has Chain Lightning. Destruction is a trap, since it's half full of inflict, and inflict is bad.

Deity wise? Doesn't matter. Any deity can sponser blasters, IMO.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-18, 08:07 PM
Oops sorry, I rushed the last post.

So any more information, on this subject, Ive done some research and just really need to get some nice spells down. Or a specific god, one of the two, and then I'll drop this thread, It was really, I thought a different Idea to make the game more challagene.

Reel On, Love
2007-08-18, 08:07 PM
If you're looking for blasting, core has the Fire domain. You might wanna consider the Spontaneous Domain feature from the PHB II--in fact, you'll pretty much need it if you want to cast more than one blastery spell per level per day.
The "give-up-a-domain-for-some-arcane-spells" variant in Complete Mage could net you some useful spells, and you can only have one spontaneous domain anyway.

The Darkness domain has some good spells, a couple of which are either blastery or similar (Darkbolt is great, Power Words), and would let you get a rockin' "Fire and Shadow" theme on.
The Windstorm domain has Call Lightning, Ice Storm, Arc of Lightning, and eventually the absolutely ridiculous Greater Whirlwind spell.
The Cold domain gets Ice Storm, Cone of Cold, Polar Ray, and eventually Obedient Avalanche.
These are all in the Spell Compendium, which has some useful spells you'll want, too (Sound Lance, say).

Don't worry about a god--if you're not allowed to invent your own, tie your domains together with symbolism and philosophy and be a cleric of a cause.

Have you considered a wildshape-less-variant druid? Ride around on a flying animal companion, blasting. Druids are better at it than clerics.

daggaz
2007-08-18, 08:15 PM
Any reason you wanna go blaster, is it because you are hung up on the idea that clerics are casters, and a caster who does damage is a blaster? Or is it because of more personal desires/fluff/etc??

Cuz if not,... it was said already, but you will do FAR more damage and be far more effective as a melee cleric. You get to thwack folks hard, and you get to save your spells for far more usefull things, like buffing/healing and all kinds of situational effects..

Get access to a 2handed weapon, war domain is useful for this, but except for the extra buff domain spells (divine power i think is one of them) its kind of a waste. A better thing is to, if you dont care too much about your feats, take a proficiency in a martial 2hander. Otherwise, just grab a decent clericable simple weapon, and go to town on the tasty domains.

Travel, for me, is a must have, and sounds like something you need in your group. Teleport, dim door, and best of all, freedom of movement as a special power. Yummy.

Luck is good for the reroll on a bad save or attack, Time and Magic are often sited as well for the tasty high level arcane spells they grant. Trickery if you wanna be able to hide and do some roguish things, tho really that doesnt seem to match your needs in this case.

Anyhow, the one feat you will want for sure is Quicken spell at 9th level. Oh and Power Attack at lvl 1 or 3, depending.. Then its all about divine favor, divine power, and righteous might, quicken them when you can depending on your level. Then wade into battle and hurt things badly.

Dullyanna
2007-08-18, 09:35 PM
Do you want to do direct damage with your spells, or mess them up, batman style? For the former, you might wish to take the Air, Water and/or War domains, for chain lightning, cone of cold, flame strike and bladestorm respectively (If you can cast level six spells, that is). For the latter, I guess you could take Trickery for confusion, and a few illusion spells, and Travel so you can save your a$$ if you get in trouble. Also, don't forget that you're not nearly as squishy as mages or sorcerors, and can actually hit things in melee combat.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-19, 05:28 AM
Well, I think my final desicion is to make a Cleric with the domains Travel and Magic/spell. not sure on those yet. But then class out to a prestige class as soon as possiable. Whats the Archmage of CLeric Class, Divine Decipple.

oh and i wanted to make a blaster cleric because it sounded challagene and it would add tons of flavor to the group.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-19, 05:51 AM
Magic and Travel are arguably the two best Core domains, so good choice. No blasting there though. You'll have to scour the normal cleric list for your blasty power. That, or multiclass in Warlock (not that powerful, but free blasts every round) and take the Complete Mage dual caster class.

Sir Jason
2007-08-19, 06:30 AM
Meteor Strike, or meteor fall, or something like that.. in the spell compendium. Its pretty much the only damaging divine conjuration spell to my knowledge, and its pretty good.

The Mormegil
2007-08-19, 07:04 AM
What, no-one named Divine Metamagic + Maximized Spell? Is it just too broken for you?

I don't really know if it's allowed, you guys can check it out better than me, but I think that taking Air and Fire can grant you 3*turn/rebuke attempts (not only undead, elementals also). I mean, Extra Turning explicitates that it DOES give you 4 additional turns for every turn ability... That means that burning you lots of daily attempts you could cast Quickened Maximized blasts around a lot of times, right? Add that feat from CDiv that substitute your CL with a turn attempt check (there are feats and objects that power it up quite a lot) and you have a 15*6 fire damage machine from ECL 9+. Before you just have to use inflict wounds spells... too bad!

Ikkitosen
2007-08-19, 09:16 AM
I believe you can only burn Turn Undead uses to fuel Divine Metamagic. Otherwise this stuff would be all over the CO boards if for no other reason!

Dullyanna
2007-08-19, 09:21 AM
I'll have to agree with Ikkitosen as far as regular clerics go, but if you really want to nuke things, you don't have all that many spells. As far as I know, this is all of them (Not counting domains or crappy infliction spells): Lv 2-Sound Burst. Lv 3-Sunburst. Lv 5-Flame Strike and Slay Living. .Lv 6-Undeath to Death. Lv 7-Destruction. Lv 9-Implosion and Storm of Vengeance. IMO, clerics have better save-or-[insert something bad here] spells and buffs, although Flame Strike, Implosion, and Storm of Vengeance are all pretty nifty. By the way, what level are you going to be?

Edit: Oh yeah, and meteor swarm is for arcane casters only.