PDA

View Full Version : What rarity would these two magical items be?

X3r4ph
2017-11-19, 05:02 AM
Starting a high level game soon and need help rating two items. Basically they are part of a set of arm guards that extend the Monk''s Deflect Misslies feature to other attacks.

1. This armguard can Deflect melee attacks.

2. This armguard can Deflect spell attacks.

So far they are an extension of the Bracers of Defense. Each granting a bonus to AC and the extra deflect ability.

What do you think? Rare, Very Rare, Legendary?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-19, 05:07 AM
Hard to say... do they require attunement separately? And deflecting still uses a reaction so you can only do it once/round. I assume you can't spend Ki to throw someone's spell back at them? Can a non-monk wear them?

I'd probably go for rare, but it's a total guess.

X3r4ph
2017-11-19, 05:13 AM
Ah. Very good questions.

Attunement: Yes, shared slot. If you have one, it requires one slot. If you have both, they require one slot together.

Economy: they would work like Deflect Missiles taking up your precious Reaction to use. And yes. It would kost a Ki point to Reflect.

Class restriction. A non-monk should be able to wear them and get the AC bonus. But only a Monk with Deflect Missiles should be able to use them to their full extend.

Unoriginal
2017-11-19, 05:41 AM
How big is the AC bonus?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-19, 06:04 AM
Sharing an attunement slot is a nice perk. And if you can deflect spells as well, I might be leaning more towards very rare.

X3r4ph
2017-11-19, 06:31 AM
How big is the AC bonus?

+1 each. So. They become bracers of defense together.

X3r4ph
2017-11-19, 06:33 AM
Sharing an attunement slot is a nice perk. And if you can deflect spells as well, I might be leaning more towards very rare.

So, rare if you only have one but very rare if you have both?

StoicLeaf
2017-11-19, 08:25 AM
errr, will you be allowing them to "throw" melee attacks and spells back at the caster?
also, usable vs aoe spells?

X3r4ph
2017-11-19, 09:36 AM
errr, will you be allowing them to "throw" melee attacks and spells back at the caster?
also, usable vs aoe spells?

Throw back spell attack or melee attack? I would say yes. What do you think? Will it stretch belief? Unbalanced? Exploitable?

I mean. DM always have the power to overule. Reflecking a dragon claw is weird... and impossible? But a sword? Smack it right back in the face of the assailent? I would buy that.

Same with a ray. You catch the energy and throw it back at em.

AoE? Of course not. It's not an attack.

Avonar
2017-11-19, 04:47 PM
Throw back spell attack or melee attack? I would say yes. What do you think? Will it stretch belief? Unbalanced? Exploitable?

I mean. DM always have the power to overule. Reflecking a dragon claw is weird... and impossible? But a sword? Smack it right back in the face of the assailent? I would buy that.

Same with a ray. You catch the energy and throw it back at em.

AoE? Of course not. It's not an attack.

If you're allowing the Monk ability to extend to everything, it's effectively granting a potential attack negation and extra attack as a reaction every round. If this is what you want I would personally think it puts it into the Very Rare territory, if not Legendary. That is VERY powerful for a single attunement slot.

Be careful with the spell thing though however, they are not as simple as projectiles. Come in all shapes, sizes and forms, and some of these it may not make sense to be able to reflect.

Kane0
2017-11-19, 04:57 PM
Well Bracers of Defense are Rare, so I'd say each half is Rare on it's own and when put together they become a Very Rare item.

Edit: I'd also increase the Ki cost to 2 for reflecting using the bracers.

SirGraystone
2017-11-19, 06:53 PM
Those are very powerful upgrade to the monk ability, I would make the pair of armguards that do melee deflection very rare, a pair that do deflection of spell also very rare, and a pair doing both legendary.