PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Spell scroll house rule

Keral
2017-11-19, 05:49 AM
Hi.

So I wanted to make scrolls a bit more useful by having everyone have a chance to activate them.

I was thinking like 10+Spellcasting mod if the spell isn't on your list with a DC of 10+spell level.

That would give one with 20 in his spellcasting ability:
75% chance of using a level 1 scroll
35% chance of using a level 9 scroll

Which is perhaps a bit too much for a thing that shouldn't technically be possible. Especially since a level 1 wizard would then have the same DC for casting a 4th level wizard spell as a level 1 cleric.
So perhaps with disadvantage?
That'd be with a +5 mod:
56% to activate a level 1 scroll
12% to activate a level 9 scroll
Much more reasonable I'd say.

However, I was also toying with the idea of letting non spellcasters be able to use scrolls. Even if not reliably. Obviously the chance of success needs to be lower than that for a spellcaster, perhaps even limiting them to level 1-3 scrolls, but I'm not sure what check to use. I'd go with Arcana, but then some might have proficiency and it might then be easier for a non spellcaster than a spellcaster. Unless I raise the DC, but that would cut out every non spellcaster without Arcana. Which would defeat the purpose.

What would you guys think? Would the idea screw up gameplay too much? Are there dangerous exploits I should look out for?
Keep in mind that I'm the one handing out the loot, so if only certain spells could unbalance things I could just refrain from having them appear in loot.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Requilac
2017-11-19, 07:51 AM
I actually use a rather similar house rule to yours and have heard of many others who do. So far, I have not heard of any people who complained that allowing spell scroll use for everyone is overpowered at all. There are actually rules in the DMG about non-spellcasters using spell scrolls though (they can be found in the magic items chapter under spells). It states that “If you don’t have a spellcasting ability—perhaps you’re a rogue with the Use Magic Device feature—your spellcasting ability modifier is +0 for the item, and your proficiency bonus does apply.” I think it is personally fine to have a person who does not have that spell on their list to make a check though. It will definitely be an intelligence check, but keep in mind that arcana will not always make sense. While intelligence would be suitable for a sorcerer, wizard or warlock spell it does not make sense for a bard, cleric, Druid, paladin, or ranger spell. I would personally have the skill required to use it change depending on the spell (arcana for sorcerer, wizard or warlock spell, religion for a cleric or paladin spell, nature for a Druid or ranger spell, and umm, I have no idea what bards would be)

I think the easiest way to do this is you should let people add their proficiency bonus (not spellcasting ability modifier because not everyone has one) to their spell attack rolls and saving throw DC’s. It would require an intelligence check with a DC=10+ the spell’s level to read the scroll properly if you do not have that spell on our class list. If the spell is a sorcerer, wizard or warlock spell the check is an (intelligence) arcana check, if the spell is a Cleric or paladin spell the check is a (intelligence) religion check, if the spell is a Druid or ranger spell it is a (intelligence) nature check, and if the spell is a bard spell it is a (intelligence) history(?) check. If you are of a class that does not learn spells by choosing from a spell list (all barbarians, champion and battle master fighters, all monks, thief and assassin rogues) than you have disadvantage on the check.

There you. The system is streamlined, solves your problem nicely, and makes it hard for people who don’t have that spell on their list to use (especially for non spellcasters).

opaopajr
2017-11-19, 10:33 PM
The easiest way I'd allow it would be to pick non-casting classes and associate a magic school or two to them from which to read scrolls outright, no check.

e.g. Fighters - Abjuration & Enchantment
e.g.g. Rogues - Divination & Transmutation

Just make the scrolls cost more due to demand.

Then off-school scrolls would require Use Magic Device or the like.

You can even add schools one tier at a time.
e.g. Fighter - Tier 1 Abjuration, Tier 2 Enchantment, etc.

Keral
2017-11-20, 04:37 AM
I actually use a rather similar house rule to yours and have heard of many others who do. So far, I have not heard of any people who complained that allowing spell scroll use for everyone is overpowered at all. There are actually rules in the DMG about non-spellcasters using spell scrolls though (they can be found in the magic items chapter under spells). It states that “If you don’t have a spellcasting ability—perhaps you’re a rogue with the Use Magic Device feature—your spellcasting ability modifier is +0 for the item, and your proficiency bonus does apply.” I think it is personally fine to have a person who does not have that spell on their list to make a check though. It will definitely be an intelligence check, but keep in mind that arcana will not always make sense. While intelligence would be suitable for a sorcerer, wizard or warlock spell it does not make sense for a bard, cleric, Druid, paladin, or ranger spell. I would personally have the skill required to use it change depending on the spell (arcana for sorcerer, wizard or warlock spell, religion for a cleric or paladin spell, nature for a Druid or ranger spell, and umm, I have no idea what bards would be)

I think the easiest way to do this is you should let people add their proficiency bonus (not spellcasting ability modifier because not everyone has one) to their spell attack rolls and saving throw DC’s. It would require an intelligence check with a DC=10+ the spell’s level to read the scroll properly if you do not have that spell on our class list. If the spell is a sorcerer, wizard or warlock spell the check is an (intelligence) arcana check, if the spell is a Cleric or paladin spell the check is a (intelligence) religion check, if the spell is a Druid or ranger spell it is a (intelligence) nature check, and if the spell is a bard spell it is a (intelligence) history(?) check. If you are of a class that does not learn spells by choosing from a spell list (all barbarians, champion and battle master fighters, all monks, thief and assassin rogues) than you have disadvantage on the check.

There you. The system is streamlined, solves your problem nicely, and makes it hard for people who don’t have that spell on their list to use (especially for non spellcasters).

This seems to work nicely, thanks! I'll see how it goes :D

Clone
2017-11-20, 10:45 AM
I think its fine and personally love allowing non-spellcasting classes access to spell scrolls.

In my games, with them being both very high magic but also with scaling encounters, I run:

Spell scroll DCs are 10+ spell level using your class' spellcasting modifier, regardless of the spell's origin. If its on your class' spell list you cast for free, regardless if its known or not.

Bards get to use Jack of all Trades on the check, and things which give advantage/ additional effects to enhance the check are allowed (not sure if this is already a thing, I just allow it anyway).

Classes which don't have a spellcasting modifier are allowed to make a straight intelligence check, with the same benefits listed above.

I use rare gold-lined scrolls which auto-succeed, but are extremely rare and thus expensive.

Some potions which grant buffs I turn into non-concentration effects, such a when my Barbarian used an Investiture of Fire potion in a battle with a White Dragon. This are rare, but as a result made him DELIGHTED beyond belief.

I wouldn't recommend it for all parties, but if you control the use of the potions and the spell scrolls it can open up a lot of possibilities for a party and thus make more interesting encounters. But of course, if something applies to the party then it applies to enemies also. My party loves these rules and never squander these rare resources when they get their hands on them.