PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Fancy arrows (utility arrows)

LionHeadVillain
2017-11-19, 07:16 AM
I have got the OK from my DM to allow for making arrows and making "fancy" arrows.

I have the idea of using already implemented items to combined with arrows such as the following :
Acid
Alchemist's Fire
poison of some kind (doubt I will get poison in my campaign)
Bombs if i find any
I'm still on the fence about bag of ball bearings and rope arrows.

i'm still trying to come up with others and i'm thinking that to make these harder to make i need to homebrew stronger arrows such as metal or stone which don't do more damage but allow use of these arrows.
Please feel free to give any of your own ideas and feel free to add constructive criticism.

I'm still new to d&d so if I have made a mistake somewhere sorry and please feel free to correct me.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-19, 07:28 AM
I tend to view special arrows like these as magic items, which means that the magic item crafting rules would be involved. This makes them expensive, and you would need to know the relevant spell before you can make them.

When it comes 'my own ideas', you can find my versions of fire, ice, poison and explosive arrows/bolts here (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/01/simple-magic-items.html). That should be enough to get you started, at least.

ImproperJustice
2017-11-19, 09:58 AM
Some other ideas:

Blessed arrows (filled with a tiny amount of holy water)

Smoke Arrows
Thunderstone arrows

Stonebiter arrows (a throwback to 2ed, but these can carry a line and be used like a grappling hook)

Whistling arrows: have slits cut in the shaft so they make a creepy sound that is hard to pinpoint and serve as a distraction.

Light Cantrip to create a “flare” arrow.

Armor Piercers (adamantine maybe?)

Then you can look up the meme for the infamous bag of holding / portable hole “nuke” arrow.

Elminster298
2017-11-19, 11:51 AM
Standard crafting check +5 or +10 to the dc based on type of materials. Disadvantage and half range increments when fired. Can ONLY be used by someone proficient with that weapon. Seems fair and mostly realistic.

Ivor_The_Mad
2017-11-20, 08:55 AM
Stun arrows (a rock in a stick)

Red hot arrows ( the arrow has a red hot tip)

frost arrows

Or the infamously annoying sovereign glue arrow that upon explosion sprays your enemy in sovereign glue.