PDA

View Full Version : Wizard without a book

mgshamster
2017-11-19, 02:00 PM
I'm making a wizard for an Out of the Abyss campaign. I won't have access to his spell book for at least the first level, and maybe through level 4.

Let's say that the spellbook is not destroyed, but it's simply not on the character.

So, what does that mean for:

1) Cantrips
2) Ritual spells written in the book
3) Gaining new spells at level up
4) Gaining new spell slots at level up

Contrast
2017-11-19, 02:13 PM
1) Cantrips

Per errata cantrips aren't in your spellbook so you're good there. Can't be bothered to look up the answer to the others :P

Elminster298
2017-11-19, 02:55 PM
I'm making a wizard for an Out of the Abyss campaign. I won't have access to his spell book for at least the first level, and maybe through level 4.

Let's say that the spellbook is not destroyed, but it's simply not on the character.

1) Cantrips

1) Cantrips- no problems
2)ritual spells- can't cast at all
3)you gain spells known but can't cast without a book to study
4)same as above. When you get access to a spellbook you can scribe them for free at that time same as you would have if you had the book all along.

mgshamster
2017-11-19, 03:04 PM
The ritual spells I'm curious about, because the PHB says you can cast them so long as they're written in your spellbook, but it doesn't say you have to have your spellbook with you when you cast them. This is unlike where is mentions that you have to study your spellbook to change your prepared spells.

For new spell slots at level up, I'd imagine that you can't cast any new spells (can't prepare new spells without our book), but you can upcast other spells.

For new spells, I think they'd be wasted. You can only transcribe spells you have prepared into a new book, and since you don't have a book, you can't gain new spells.

Dudewithknives
2017-11-19, 03:13 PM

1) Cantrips

No spoilers or anything but you should get your book back long before level 4.

You can always cast what you already have prepared and your cantrips, that should be plenty.

I would really be shocked if you do not get it back by the end of level 2.

Now it is possible you just plain miss getting it back at all, it is pretty easy to completely miss things in OotA.

mgshamster
2017-11-19, 03:36 PM
Oh, I've DM'd this campaign to completion. So I know all the spoilers. :)

But there's always a chance of not getting a spellbook before reaching the first major location, and that occurs around level 4.

Unoriginal
2017-11-19, 04:15 PM
Don't you have a chance of getting the PCs' gears back?

mgshamster
2017-11-19, 04:19 PM
Don't you have a chance of getting the PCs' gears back?

Yup! There is a chance of getting your equipment back. But with a chance of getting it back, means there's also a chance of never seeing it again.

I've filled out my spellbook in case I do get it back. I made this thread in case I don't. :)

Tanarii
2017-11-19, 04:40 PM
The ritual spells I'm curious about, because the PHB says you can cast them so long as they're written in your spellbook, but it doesn't say you have to have your spellbook with you when you cast them. This is unlike where is mentions that you have to study your spellbook to change your prepared spells. You're not the first person to notice that. But IMO the intent is clear: to cast a ritual from your spellbook, you actually need the spellbook on hand. That's not Strict RAW, but I'll bet big ol' imaginary internet moneys that it's RAI

Innocent_bystan
2017-11-19, 04:48 PM
Does your spellbook need to be an actual book? Probably not. So those spells you gain at level up can probably be written on loose sheets of paper. You can stuff them in the back of your actual spellbook when you find it.

You can replace sheets of paper with basicly anything. I believe the 3.0 Tome and Blood had a blurb on alternative spellbooks. It mentioned scars, knots in ropes, tattoos and notches in a staff. Probably more, but it has been a while since I last read it. (Just checked: that thing was released 16 years ago! Now I feel old)

Avonar
2017-11-19, 04:51 PM
Avoiding spoilers here, because if you don't know then the reveal of how Out of the Abyss starts is a fun one, but given the circumstances you may be able to have them on spare sheets of paper as mentioned previously. The spellbook isn't the important part, it's the writing out of the spell that counts.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-11-19, 04:59 PM
Does your spellbook need to be an actual book? Probably not. So those spells you gain at level up can probably be written on loose sheets of paper. You can stuff them in the back of your actual spellbook when you find it.

You can replace sheets of paper with basicly anything. I believe the 3.0 Tome and Blood had a blurb on alternative spellbooks. It mentioned scars, knots in ropes, tattoos and notches in a staff. Probably more, but it has been a while since I last read it. (Just checked: that thing was released 16 years ago! Now I feel old)

3.5e Eberron had the ability to store spellbooks inside of specialized (Eberron) Dragonshards. I'm not sure right now, but IIRC there was a blurb on alternate spellbooks in one of Complete Arcane/Mage/Warrior (D&D3.5e as well, actually).

RedMage125
2017-11-19, 05:00 PM

I agree here. On all counts. Including how old that information makes me feel. I was already in college when Sword & Fist (the first 3.0 splatbook, before "3.0" was even a term, we just said "3rd edition") came out.

mgshamster
2017-11-19, 05:35 PM
You're not the first person to notice that. But IMO the intent is clear: to cast a ritual from your spellbook, you actually need the spellbook on hand. That's not Strict RAW, but I'll bet big ol' imaginary internet moneys that it's RAI

Yeah. That's what I was expecting, and how I would expect it to be ruled in a game. But I wanted to make sure I wasn't off about it or something. Maybe the intent isn't what was obvious, ya know?

Citan
2017-11-19, 05:39 PM
The ritual spells I'm curious about, because the PHB says you can cast them so long as they're written in your spellbook, but it doesn't say you have to have your spellbook with you when you cast them. This is unlike where is mentions that you have to study your spellbook to change your prepared spells.

For new spell slots at level up, I'd imagine that you can't cast any new spells (can't prepare new spells without our book), but you can upcast other spells.

For new spells, I think they'd be wasted. You can only transcribe spells you have prepared into a new book, and since you don't have a book, you can't gain new spells.
I'd argue you're very wrong on new spells, confer below. ;)

1) Cantrips
1) Fine: cantrip are always known.
2) Botched: unless specific case (confer *), you need the book to cast them without using slots.
3) Fine! Yeah, sure, you don't have access to your INITIAL spellbook... But nothing prevents you to find another way to inscribe them. After all...
- Nothing ever forbids you to have several books (it's in fact the first thing you should learn as a Wizard, secure spare books).
- Nothing imposes you to "make" your book in a specific form. Quite on the contrary, the PHB entices people to imagine their own kind of book, even goes as far (IIRC) as giving an example of scraps of paper loosely assembled...
4) No problem: fuel is different from tools. ;)

* As far as the thing you didn't mention, being the 6 spells you gain as your first level of Wizard, I'd say that you have to divide them into two categories. First, the ones you decide you have prepared when you start your adventure (well, if you and DM agree that you had your book at least when you gained your first level but I see really no reason not to). Those equal 1+INT (probably 4), since you have them prepared, you have them in your mind, so you can cast them... But you will use slots, whether they have the ritual tag or not.
As for the others... They are "only in your book", so you cannot prepare them, nor cast them obviously, not even write them again elsewhere (otherwise, why need a book? ;)).

Unoriginal
2017-11-19, 05:45 PM

3.5e Eberron had the ability to store spellbooks inside of specialized (Eberron) Dragonshards. I'm not sure right now, but IIRC there was a blurb on alternate spellbooks in one of Complete Arcane/Mage/Warrior (D&D3.5e as well, actually).

5e mentions different ways to fluff what your spellbook is like (including very non-book-like forms), but it doesn't change how the PC would get stripped of their equipment. Unless it's the tattoo/scar method, the PC won't have their spell-learning item with them.

Avigor
2017-11-19, 06:16 PM

1) Cantrips

1: Cantrips are not in the book so you're good.
2: SOL till you get a book again.
3: Technically they should be chosen immediately upon level-up even if you don't have a book, but they aren't available to prepare until you scribe them into a book, or other means of storing your spells if your DM approves of alternate spellbooks (like 3.5's Complete Arcane rules for example).
4: Slots are completely unaffected, albeit if a new level's slots become available and you don't have your spellbook all you can do with them is boost a lower level spell into them.

Don't forget that in 5e, wizards can still recharge slots without their spellbook; they just can't change which spells are prepared, or prepare additional spells.

Might be worth asking the DM if he'll allow the Sterling Vermin Grey Guild Wizard... no spellbook needed, ever. lol :smallwink:

mgshamster
2017-11-19, 06:46 PM
Might be worth asking the DM if he'll allow the Sterling Vermin Grey Guild Wizard... no spellbook needed, ever. lol :smallwink:

Naw. Lol.

I specifically chose wizard because I knew he'd lose his spellbook. I've run this campaign before. :)