PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Pow Prestige Classes

angelpalm
2017-11-19, 02:25 PM
Hey ya'll, was just looking for a bit of input on some balance changes I was thinking of implementing for players in my next game. Some of them have expressed interest in a few of these Prc's, one especially had their eyes on the Awakened Blade, which imo is the best of the bunch. I don't intend to make the other prc's be on that same level as I feel some of them are already really good in comparison such as the Battle Templar and the Mage Hunter, heck I even think for what it does Dragon Fury is really good. Others however don't seem to play as nicely and don't get the same toys the other prc's have.

So just a brief outline of some of the changes I am thinking about.

Umbral Blade:

Umbral Sight gives you the actual See in Darkness ability. If you already posses it or something equivalent then you gain a +1 profane bonus to perception checks per prc level. Edit: That was supposed to apply only in area's of dim lighting or less.

Blade of night is taken out and instead you are treated as gaining a level in your previous class with the exception of levels 2,6, and 10. However it only counts if your class was rogue, stalker, monk, ninja, or alchemist/investigator. You still use the base features of the prc including the maneuver progression.

Embrace the Shadows no longer gives a bonus to Intimidate and it also deals 1 point of non-lethal damage to you per round of use, that is until you reach level 10 and become completed. This non-lethal damage of course can only be healed with rest and resets every day.

Blade Caster:

Thinking for Bladecaster I will probably make Stance of Arcane just a normal option instead of an actual stance. There really is no reason for it to be a stance imo since it's so meh. Maybe Martial Caster can let you cast with weapons/shields in both hands if you already can cast in armor? Arcane steel is cool but might be cooler to have the temporary hp gained used in another way more relevant to a caster. Maybe they can sacrifice the temp hp to cast a higher level spell with a lower spell slot? Maybe do the same for the other class features as well that have limited uses per day?

Edit: So I am thinking for every 5 of the temp hp you get from Arcane steel you can use either your Battlecaster’s strike or Arcane Assault an additional time per day. Same for the ability to use a lower level spell slot to cast a higher level spell. But that part would be limited to 5 temp per Bladecaster level per round. So when you get arcane steel you could at most sacrifice 10 temp at one time to use a 1st level slot to cast a 3rd level spell.

Also the bab requirement would be entirely removed. It's pretty terrible for something that is supposed to be mixed with the likes of a low bab caster class. Getting rid of that allows them to go into the Prc at level 6 like pretty much every other Prc for pow.