PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Challenge Rating inquiry #2

Arkhios
2017-11-19, 02:52 PM
So, once more I've made a "monster" for an adventure I'm brewing together, and while I'm probably capable of calculating the CR on my own, I thought I'd share the creation at this point, and see if I get it right, compared to those who might be willing to make their own calculations. Chances are, after all, that I might miss something.

The Keybearer (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkDP2W1eM) (again, use Chrome for best performance)

A little background info:

Modeled after a PC, whose player decided to withdraw from the campaign due to personal reasons and gave consent for the character's use in this manner.
The character was a dreaded Polearm Master Eldritch Knight, so that alone should cause a few goosebumps to emerge!
His background involved latent lycanthropy, which is why, after he "Turned to the Dark Side", he gained resistance (not full immunity) versus non-magic weapons.

JNAProductions
2017-11-19, 03:08 PM
Should probably post this to Homebrew forum. But looking over it...

Make it clear that the butt attack is a bonus action-it's currently listed under actions. (It is available as multiattack, but... I guess it's okay? I dunno.)

DCR is 1/2, then goes up to 2 for AC. I'll add on an extra 2 for the saves, crit immunity, defensive spells, and resistances, for 4.

OCR is 4, up to 5 for hit bonus. Could maybe argue it up to 6 for spells, but I'm not sure.

I'd say that, averaging them, it's a good CR 5 monster. Just be aware of action economy-low HP means that he will get GANKED FAST.

Arkhios
2017-11-19, 03:21 PM
Should probably post this to Homebrew forum. But looking over it...

Make it clear that the butt attack is a bonus action-it's currently listed under actions. (It is available as multiattack, but... I guess it's okay? I dunno.)

DCR is 1/2, then goes up to 2 for AC. I'll add on an extra 2 for the saves, crit immunity, defensive spells, and resistances, for 4.

OCR is 4, up to 5 for hit bonus. Could maybe argue it up to 6 for spells, but I'm not sure.

I'd say that, averaging them, it's a good CR 5 monster. Just be aware of action economy-low HP means that he will get GANKED FAST.

Thanks for the evaluation. I was considering that he would be a Solo Monster. Any suggestions how to make him last longer at the expected CR 5? I did consider giving him more HP. Maybe x1-½ or x2? As for the Butt-end attack, I figured that since it requires the use of an Attack Action for a player, it'd be reasonable to group up with Multiattack. Either you attack, or you don't.