PDA

View Full Version : Best uses for martial study for a Warblade/Rogue Gestalt

GrayDeath
2017-11-19, 05:20 PM
As the title says: which 3 maneuvers should I take?

Since they cannot be exchanged later they have to be useful all around, not just "really good now".

Fory first I took Shadow Jaunt, for obvious out of combat utility and the rare. Combat where I need to get away and can't utilize my high speed normally.

Atm I am thinking mostly utility or range attacks, but I am open to suggestions of other types as well.

Which other 2 would you suggest, and why?

Let's keep it to three suggestions for every post, one each at levels 8i-10sh, and 16ish (we are using Pathfinder feat progression).

Possibly needed info: my mainaneuvres will focus und diamond mind and iron heart, with a small sprinkling of tiger claw. (for movement and scent).

Thanks in advance

ExLibrisMortis
2017-11-19, 05:22 PM
If you are using Telflammar Shadowlord on the rogue side, get all three teleportation maneuvers.

Nifft
2017-11-19, 05:41 PM
1st maneuver (no prereqs):
- Cloak of Deception - greater invisibility is pretty darn nice for a Rogue.
- Shadow Stride (move action) - NO PREREQS, grab this.
- Shadow Blink (swift action) - NO PREREQS, grab this.

... and honestly those three could be sufficient forever.

GrayDeath
2017-11-19, 07:34 PM
I have HiPS and sapphire nightmare.blade to.get sneak.attack, so I dont really.need one turn invisibility.

My thoughts were picking shadow blink or stride, but since they are "only" upgrade to Jaunt, and Martial Study M. Cannot.be.exchanged, I thought focusing this strongly might not be too smart.

After all some Desert Wind.might give me a decent ranged option, or some.other options might be.owrth it as well...

And yes, atm I am aiming for Telflammar Shadow.Lord somewhere around Level 8ish...

ExLibrisMortis
2017-11-20, 08:41 AM
And yes, atm I am aiming for Telflammar Shadow.Lord somewhere around Level 8ish...
You'd get a full attack for every teleport you make. Being able to teleport as a standard, move, and swift is just about the best thing you can do. Okay, you need to recover your maneuvers every other turn, but the three shadow teleports still make for a really potent opening move. To add to that, standard action teleports are reasonably common, and I think there's a couple of swifts, but move-action teleports are quite rare (there's psionic dimension door, and a few monsters, but nothing as easy as Martial Study), so you'd definitely want that one.

GrayDeath
2017-11-20, 09:25 AM
I... had actually overlooked the "in the same turn" effectively. Wow, now 8 feel blind.

OK, taken.

Unless somebody comes up with a similarly great option.

Nifft
2017-11-20, 09:31 AM
I would not take all 3.

Standard action Strikes compete quite well with full attacks, so spending your standard action to teleport and ignore all Strikes seems wasteful.

Warblade's standard action recovery competes quite well.

There are other effects that give you standard action teleportation.

Gruftzwerg
2017-11-20, 10:50 AM
Another common option for Martial Study is to help you to enter "Master of Nine" prc. Just have a look (at the prc) if it fits your theme/build and decide for yourself.

And I would like to ask if Martial Stance ain't an option too?
"Dance of the Spider" is a Shadow Hand stance (once you enable it with Martial Study) which gives you a Spider Climb-like stance with 20ft. climb speed (no climb rolls needed). A handy tool for a sneaky character build.
Or maybe other more combat focused stances like Assassins Stance (+2d6 sneak attack) or for max comfort "Island of Blades" for easy flanking and sneak attack application.

BearonVonMu
2017-11-20, 11:41 AM
Are you high enough level to get level 6 maneuvers? I really, really like the Devoted Spirit "Aura of Chaos" stance, and you can get it with three feats. As a side perk, the strikes that ignore DR on your foes are cool too.
Think about it: exploding sneak attack dice!

GrayDeath
2017-11-20, 12:30 PM
I would not take all 3.

Standard action Strikes compete quite well with full attacks, so spending your standard action to teleport and ignore all Strikes seems wasteful.

Warblade's standard action recovery competes quite well.

There are other effects that give you standard action teleportation.

True. But theys are not available at level 4 and/or without having other classes than we do in the group.
Also the first was already taken (and used) this last session, so that one, unless my DM elts me retrain a feat, is fixed".

Another common option for Martial Study is to help you to enter "Master of Nine" prc. Just have a look (at the prc) if it fits your theme/build and decide for yourself.

And I would like to ask if Martial Stance ain't an option too?
"Dance of the Spider" is a Shadow Hand stance (once you enable it with Martial Study) which gives you a Spider Climb-like stance with 20ft. climb speed (no climb rolls needed). A handy tool for a sneaky character build.
Or maybe other more combat focused stances like Assassins Stance (+2d6 sneak attack) or for max comfort "Island of Blades" for easy flanking and sneak attack application.

I ahve not yet decided if I`ll spend a feat or two for additional stances. I might, but even with PF Feat progression my Gestalt is not swimming in Feats.

The PrC s most likely out though.

Are you high enough level to get level 6 maneuvers? I really, really like the Devoted Spirit "Aura of Chaos" stance, and you can get it with three feats. As a side perk, the strikes that ignore DR on your foes are cool too.
Think about it: exploding sneak attack dice!

AtM I am level 4, we will be Level 5 soonish, but Level 6 Maneuvres are a long way off.

Which, aomong other things, is why I am asking these questions now ^^

What do you mean I can get it with three feats (dont have my books here atm)?

Rerednaw
2017-11-20, 12:37 PM
1st maneuver (no prereqs):
- Cloak of Deception - greater invisibility is pretty darn nice for a Rogue.
- Shadow Stride (move action) - NO PREREQS, grab this.
- Shadow Blink (swift action) - NO PREREQS, grab this.

... and honestly those three could be sufficient forever.

^^This.

I would consider Cloak of Deception optional, since there are many many ways to get invisibility. It's still pretty solid though.

However teleport as a move and swift is way too good to pass up.

Move action: teleport into perfect position.
Standard: smackdown via your favorite strike.
Swift: get the heck out of dodge before BBEG wallops you in return.

Gruftzwerg
2017-11-20, 08:04 PM
btw, how is your access to magic items?

Since Crown of White Ravens and its variants are cheap imho, maybe consider it/them and save your feats for something else?

GrayDeath
2017-11-20, 08:47 PM
It's the Survival and revenge campaign I mentioned here. We are u likely to have full access to all magic items, IF we ever find vendors they will have more... Local stuff, so unless it's obvious a weapon, and/or completely central to the character, we're sorely ool

Rebel7284
2022-11-10, 02:24 AM
While I agree that the teleport maneuvers are top-notch and are extremely powerful with Telflamar Shadowlord, 3 feats are a lot even with an accelerated feat progression. Both Ruby Knight Vindicator and Master of Nine offer those in-class. Of course if you can only take 1 prestige class at a time, it can be slightly awkward for optimal maneuver access, but you save a few feats (or not really in case of Master of Nine, but hey at least the requirements overlap with Telflamar Shadowlord)

Particle_Man
2022-11-10, 10:38 AM
Are you going to follow up with martial stance? Because I’m that case distracting ember (free flanking) followed by flame’s blessing (resistance/immunity to fire) might be attractive.

Peelee
2022-11-10, 11:27 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Necromancy is not a martial study.